ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Doherty Dropped from Record Label Rough Trade Return to archive
23rd May 2006 06:04 AM
star star Music news: Doherty dropped from great height

Things aren’t looking good for Pete Doherty. First he was dumped by his supermodel girlfriend Kate Moss (who is now dating Russell Brand). Then he was reviled as “just a worn-out drug addict” by one of his biggest supporters, music paper the NME. And now he’s been dropped by his record label for being too difficult to deal with.

Rough Trade have confirmed that Pete’s band Babyshambles no longer have a contract with them. ‘We are obviously very fond of him, but at the moment we’re not working with him,’ said a spokesman.

Babyshambles' album has sold a respectable 110,000 copies since its release last November, which may be why Rough Trade continued to support addict Pete throughout his numerous court cases for drug-related offences. However, they appear to have finally decided that he’s too much of a liability.

An insider said: “Rough Trade were in the process of renegotiating a deal, but the talks broke down because it just proved to be so difficult to deal with Pete and the people he surrounds himself with.”

Could this be the slap in the face Pete needs to pull himself together? Watch this space – just don’t hold your breath.

wanadoo.co.uk/music
23rd May 2006 07:08 AM
corgi37 All this behaviour for 110,000 sales? The fucking Wiggles or Hi-5 cd's sell 3 times as much.
23rd May 2006 07:31 AM
Factory Girl From The Independent Online Edition 5/23/06

Record label drops Doherty for being 'too difficult to deal with'
By Anthony Barnes, Arts and Media Correspondent
Published: 21 May 2006
In terms of column inches, he is one of the biggest stars in the UK. But now Pete Doherty, the troubled musician better known for sex and drugs than rock and roll, has been dropped by his record label.

Rough Trade, which propelled acts such as the Smiths and the Strokes to success, said Doherty's band Babyshambles no longer has a contract with them.

His once-promising career has been overshadowed by arrests, drug abuse and his fling with the supermodel Kate Moss. His unpredictable behaviour has meant many in the industry despair of dealing with him.

A spokesman for Rough Trade said: "He doesn't have a contract with us. We are obviously very fond of him, but at the moment we are not working with him."

An insider said: "Rough Trade were in the process of renegotiating a deal, but the talks broke down because it just proved to be so difficult to deal with Pete and the people he surrounds himself with."

Doherty, 27, has been with the label all his recording career, releasing two albums with his previous band the Libertines, which disintegrated as his drug problems took their toll. The label kept him on when he formed his new band and stuck with him during his court appearances over the past 18 months for alleged assault and drug possession. This month, the music paper NME, which has long championed Doherty, castigated its readers for voting him the second-greatest rock idol in history (behind Nirvana star Kurt Cobain), saying he was "just a worn-out drug addict".

Conor McNicholas, the editor, doubted many labels would be willing to take a chance with him in his present state. "Not that he won't create great music again, but the amount of hassle that goes with it is just not worth it, which is very sad," he said.

"It's more likely that he will record on an ad hoc basis, using money from friends, release over the internet free and make his money from touring, because Babyshambles are still a big live draw." Their album, Down in Albion, has sold 110,000 copies since release in November.

"For a little while things were too dark to even begin to get my head around," Doherty told June's The Word magazine. "Spending all my time dropping my trousers to the police. Sat in cells. What I want is a little bit of self-control. But plans are the last thing you want."

In terms of column inches, he is one of the biggest stars in the UK. But now Pete Doherty, the troubled musician better known for sex and drugs than rock and roll, has been dropped by his record label.

Rough Trade, which propelled acts such as the Smiths and the Strokes to success, said Doherty's band Babyshambles no longer has a contract with them.

His once-promising career has been overshadowed by arrests, drug abuse and his fling with the supermodel Kate Moss. His unpredictable behaviour has meant many in the industry despair of dealing with him.

A spokesman for Rough Trade said: "He doesn't have a contract with us. We are obviously very fond of him, but at the moment we are not working with him."

An insider said: "Rough Trade were in the process of renegotiating a deal, but the talks broke down because it just proved to be so difficult to deal with Pete and the people he surrounds himself with."

Doherty, 27, has been with the label all his recording career, releasing two albums with his previous band the Libertines, which disintegrated as his drug problems took their toll. The label kept him on when he formed his new band and stuck with him during his court appearances over the past 18 months for alleged assault and drug possession. This month, the music paper NME, which has long championed Doherty, castigated its readers for voting him the second-greatest rock idol in history (behind Nirvana star Kurt Cobain), saying he was "just a worn-out drug addict".
Conor McNicholas, the editor, doubted many labels would be willing to take a chance with him in his present state. "Not that he won't create great music again, but the amount of hassle that goes with it is just not worth it, which is very sad," he said.

"It's more likely that he will record on an ad hoc basis, using money from friends, release over the internet free and make his money from touring, because Babyshambles are still a big live draw." Their album, Down in Albion, has sold 110,000 copies since release in November.

"For a little while things were too dark to even begin to get my head around," Doherty told June's The Word magazine. "Spending all my time dropping my trousers to the police. Sat in cells. What I want is a little bit of self-control. But plans are the last thing you want."

[Edited by Factory Girl]
23rd May 2006 07:56 AM
egon 8 to 9 months...
23rd May 2006 09:00 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'm a little surprised by this, considering the talent he has and what he's done for the label in the past, yet the decision is very understandable at the same time. I guess you live for the moment in this industry and at the time being, Doherty's in no fit state to produce the goods.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)