ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Doug Wimbish offered bassist job? Return to archive
22nd May 2006 06:34 PM
Paulcarr87 Below is a passage from the Rolling Stones entry in Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia which I usually find to be pretty thorough. Is there any truth to what they say about Doug Wimbish coming close to replacing Darryl Jones in 97?

"In 1991, Bill Wyman finally left the band after years of deliberation and had published Stone Alone, a frank autobiography. After his departure, the band continued as a foursome. Charlie Watts was asked to choose a bass player, and he selected the respected session musician and Miles Davis and Sting sideman Darryl Jones, who appeared on Voodoo Lounge (1994) and played on the supporting tour. Bridges to Babylon (1997) featured another prolific bassist, Doug Wimbish, a journeyman session player and solo artist. Wimbish was offered the permanent position of bass player by the band, but declined to focus on his own material, and so did not play on the ensuing tour. Jones was brought back and has remained with the band since the Bridges to Babylon Tour. Both Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon received praise from fans and critics, though they failed to achieve the acclaim or popularity of The Stones '70s and '80s records"
22nd May 2006 06:44 PM
nankerphelge How Wyman did it:

[Edited by nankerphelge]
22nd May 2006 07:03 PM
glencar Wikipedia is a site on which anyone can add anything. Their standards seem somewhat low. I wouldn't bet the farm on that Wimbish story.
22nd May 2006 07:20 PM
gotdablouse This is not accurate, that's what you get with opensource, any old guy writing his head off with no qualty control.
22nd May 2006 10:39 PM
Mel Belli I think he may have auditioned, but he was a Jagger connection. And the decision, as we all know, was ultimately Charlie's.
23rd May 2006 03:20 PM
Saint Sway I've had nearly a dozen bassists in the past 15 years tell me that they "almost had the Stones job"
23rd May 2006 03:25 PM
jb You think they really were going to can Daryl after 94-95?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)