ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ticketmaster Its Own Scalper Now!!! Return to archive
22nd May 2006 01:32 PM
gimmekeef Ticketmaster will now scalp through a bs system they are calling "auctions"....Can only imagine how a future (Fall?) Stones tour will play out under this money grab:

Ticketmaster uses auctions to fight online scalpers
Updated 5/22/2006 1:48 AM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

Enlarge By Koji Sasahara, AP

Ticketmaster will let customers bid up prices for hot summer concert tickets, including those to Bon Jovi.

BIDDING ON SEATS

Ticket prices for Bon Jovi, July 29 at Giants Stadium:

Top regular price: $125

Ticketmaster auction: $150 minimum bid

RazorGator: Listed by resellers at $61 to $1,232

StubHub: Listed by resellers at $65 to $1,412

Source: USA TODAY research

By Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — Don't be surprised if the best seats for a summer concert are available only via an auction.
Ticketmaster, which dominates the ticket business, is fighting back against online ticket resellers by letting customers bid up the prices for the best seats and returning profits to promoters and artists.

It will auction the best seats to many top summer tours, including Madonna, Shakira, Kelly Clarkson, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi and former Pink Floyd composer Roger Waters.

The Internet has made it easy for speculators to buy tickets and resell them at huge prices at online sites such as Craigslist and eBay.

Ticket sites StubHub and RazorGator do nothing but resell tickets, charging both sellers and buyers service fees.

Ticketmaster auction money is split between the promoter and artist, with Ticketmaster taking a service fee.

Waters will perform Pink Floyd's complete Dark Side of the Moon with a backup band at New York's Madison Square Garden on Sept. 12. Regular top ticket prices are $175; the first four rows' minimum Ticketmaster auction bid is $500. Seats are being resold on StubHub and RazorGator with asking prices soaring to $4,600 and $7,000, respectively.

With the Ticketmaster auctions, "the whole point was to try and recapture revenue that's being generated on the back of the artist and promoter," says Arthur Fogel, president of tour promoter TNA International, which is behind Madonna's summer tour.

The best seats for Madonna's Confessions tour have a face value of $350. The Ticketmaster auction averaged $400 to $500 a ticket, Fogel says.

David Goldberg, Ticketmaster executive vice president, calls the online bidding for show seats "a market solution to an industry problem. It makes it a much more level playing field."

The problem is that the hottest shows sell out in minutes on the Internet. And, Fogel says, resale websites have made it easy for the ordinary computer user to become a ticket broker.

Auctions "move the concert market even further from its roots: music for the people," says Gary Bongiovanni, editor of trade magazine Pollstar. "Concerts are supply and demand, and the person with the most coconuts gets the prize."

Posted 5/21/2006 11:08 PM ET

22nd May 2006 01:37 PM
jb I really called it exactly the way it was...for years, I said this would be the future of ticket ales with increased prices.
22nd May 2006 02:33 PM
Jumping Jack I haven't been to a baseball or football game in years and see the same thing happening to concerts. Let the corporations buy up the best tickets and then play to half empty venues. The Braves cannot even sell out their playoff games because the prices are so high.

Excessive greed ultimately loses customers and total revenue.
22nd May 2006 02:35 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I haven't been to a baseball or football game in years and see the same thing happening to concerts. Let the corporations buy up the best tickets and then play to half empty venues. The Braves cannot even sell out their playoff games because the prices are so high.

Excessive greed ultimately loses customers and total revenue.

Did I not post this years ago!!!
22nd May 2006 02:42 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

The best seats for Madonna's Confessions tour have a face value of $350. The Ticketmaster auction averaged $400 to $500 a ticket, Fogel says.

And Ebay auctions which aren't rigged sees tickets going for far less than face value. As usual these types of articles only tell one side of the story further enraging consumers against honest resellers but it works out just as well when it comes to the way I play the game.
22nd May 2006 02:43 PM
Jumping Jack Yes you did, and the Stones have been doing this with their VIP packages for a while now. It is part of the reason they get stuck with overpriced seats before the show that they need to dump. It works for the Stones because they are in it for a quick buck and don't care if they screw their fans and don't worry about repeat business. As a model for performers who plan to come around for another tour they are likely to find out their lost customers have long memories.
22nd May 2006 02:45 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Yes you did, and the Stones have been doing this with their VIP packages for a while now. It is part of the reason they get stuck with overpriced seats before the show that they need to dump. It works for the Stones because they are in it for a quick buck and don't care if they screw their fans and don't worry about repeat business. As a model for performers who plan to come around for another tour they are likely to find out their lost customers have long memories.

It has caused much papering this tour..
22nd May 2006 03:39 PM
pdog TM has always been a scalper for themselves, now they're going into the broker biz!
I vowed last week, when I heard of this from a friend who got screwed buying RHCP's tix, I will never buy a ticket from TM again. I'll go the shows I want to go to, and buy at a box office or on the street.
I paid almost $100.00 for 2 baseball tix, that were face of 28.00. The difference was all service fees and shit, last time I ever do that again.
I've always had great success scalping. Why I caved last week, conveniece? Fuck them. Screw the man...LOL!
22nd May 2006 03:39 PM
gimmekeef You watch....there will bs "bids"...and then another fee for bids on top of the other rip off charges.Wouldnt be surprised if they charge a fee everytime you (cause I wont) bid.And then miraculously more tix will appear..hmmmmmmmm...sound familiar??
22nd May 2006 03:43 PM
jb Bottom line, I was correct that thius would be the new trend...as the great Don King says, "only in America"...
22nd May 2006 03:53 PM
gimmekeef Yes...jb...you were spot on....BTW...As a lawyer why doesnt the DOJ look into Ticketbastard as a monopoly like they go after others?
22nd May 2006 03:55 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Yes...jb...you were spot on....BTW...As a lawyer why doesnt the DOJ look into Ticketbastard as a monopoly like they go after others?

They are toobusy wiretaping our phones...
22nd May 2006 03:57 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

I had phone sex the other night...but apparently as they are only taping conversations longer than 10 secs..my secret is safe....
22nd May 2006 03:59 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

Why do you hate freedom?
22nd May 2006 04:02 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Bottom line, I was correct that thius would be the new trend...as the great Don King says, "only in America"...

all hail Jacob Cohl....This is a great thing!
22nd May 2006 04:21 PM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

all hail Jacob Cohl....This is a great thing!

Its people like you who have ruined rock concerts. Its okay, I will still find a find a way in if so inclined and will try not to piss in your beer.
22nd May 2006 04:23 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

Its people like you who have ruined rock concerts. Its okay, I will still find a find a way in if so inclined and will try not to piss in your beer.

Pug has a brillaint business mind for a young person.
22nd May 2006 07:09 PM
glencar
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Yes...jb...you were spot on....BTW...As a lawyer why doesnt the DOJ look into Ticketbastard as a monopoly like they go after others?

TM has some competition. DOJ did look into it during the Clintoon 90's & decided against taking action.
22nd May 2006 07:11 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
TM has some competition. DOJ did look into it during the Clintoon 90's & decided against taking action.

TM has great competition! I can almost always find someone to sell me the same tickets for cheaper and with NO service charges!
22nd May 2006 11:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Pug has a brillaint business mind for a young person.

Thank you again. I am flying tomorrow to Kansas City (first class) for two days of meetings with clients/potential clients. Please have your people take notes down (yellow legal pad preferred) of all attacks (vicious, unintentional, and all other) so that I may decide which of my 12 preferred ways of "Rocks Off Humiliation" I will engage. You are a gentleman and a scholar. I will be available to take a phone call from you with any last minute advice, or a good joke between 8-8:19AM EST and from 10:25-1:04 CDT.

To the rest of you: PLease govern yourself accordingly!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)