ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vets Battling to Save Barbaro Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd May 2006 01:35 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Wow gimmekeef -- you REALLY think it was about the money?

REALLY?

You're so smart -- god I admire you.

Gimmekeef searching for that elusive clue

You always go to a gunfight with a knife?.....You started the name calling....Go screw that sheep your so fond of..
22nd May 2006 01:52 PM
nankerphelge I didn't start anything waste product -- you didn't like my "shoot the horse" comment and made a smart ass remark.

You wanna drop comments like that, you can expect some change back fuckface!
22nd May 2006 01:58 PM
gimmekeef I'll keep your threats in mind then....Time to move on....
22nd May 2006 02:00 PM
nankerphelge Believe me, when I threaten you, you'll know it.

22nd May 2006 02:01 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Believe me, when I threaten you, you'll know it.

Just dont kick me with those pink high heels okay?
22nd May 2006 02:16 PM
nankerphelge not to worry

you'll never see it coming anyway!

22nd May 2006 02:22 PM
pdog Jews Rock!
Proof!
22nd May 2006 03:50 PM
gimmekeef Good News:

Barbaro Is 'Frisky' After Surgery
Monday, May 22, 2006 3:14 PM EDT
The Associated Press
By RICHARD ROSENBLATT

Listen to Audio

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) — Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was "bright and appropriately frisky" Monday after surgery from his broken hind leg, even showing an interest in mares, but the colt still faces a long and perilous road to recovery.

Dr. Dean Richardson, who performed the intricate five-hour operation, was satisfied with the result, but was blunt about the future for a horse who was unbeaten before breaking down in the Preakness Stakes.

Richardson, who operated on Barbaro at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals on Sunday, said the horse's chances for survival were still 50-50.

Michael Matz, who trained the 3-year-old colt to six straight wins before the grotesque injury ended its unbeaten run Saturday, paid the horse a visit Monday and was encouraged by what he saw.

"He looked pretty bright just now," Matz said. "You can't ask for anything more. He was very alert and seemed fine."

Barbaro, fitted with a fiberglass cast, was standing in his stall at the center's intensive care unit earlier Monday and showed interest in several mares in the vicinity.

"He got through the night very well, day one and into day two is going as well as expected," Corinne Sweeney, a veterinarian and the hospital's executive director, said Monday. "He is standing on the leg, and with the appropriate amount of weight on it.

"He also showed appropriate interest in the mares, which means he's acting like a young colt should."

After his afternoon visit Monday, Matz smiled often — an improvement over the evident fatigue of the night before.

"We've got the first step accomplished," he said. "He seemed fine. It's a new thing for him also to have this big thing on his leg and hopefully he's adjusting to it very well."

Sweeney said there are two major concerns in the first days of recovery, the possibility of infection from the surgery and laminitis, a potentially fatal disease sometimes brought on by uneven weight balance.

"He's doing exactly what the doctor wants, but he's got a long road ahead," Sweeney added. "A lot of possible problems that could occur have not.

Earlier Monday, Richardson emphasized that the horse had a long road ahead, and would never race again.

"Realistically, it's going to be months before we know if he's going to make it," Richardson told CBS' "The Early Show." "We're salvaging him as a breeding animal."

Barbaro's surgery to repair three bones shattered in his right rear leg at the Preakness went about as well as Richardson and trainer Michael Matz hoped. It wasn't long after surgery when Barbaro began to show signs he might make it after all.

After a dip into a large swimming pool before he was awakened — part of New Bolton's renowned recovery system that minimizes injury risk — Barbaro was brought back to his stall, where he should have been calmly rested on all four legs.

Barbaro had other ideas.

"He decided to jump up and down a few times," Richardson said, smiling. "But he didn't hurt anything. That's the only thing that really matters. It had Michael worried."

That's not much to worry about after the agony of the previous 24 hours. Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" Saturday when he broke down Saturday only a few hundred yards into the 1 3-16th-mile Preakness. The record crowd of 118,402 watched in shock as Barbaro veered sideways, his right leg flaring out grotesquely.

Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint — the ankle — was dislocated.

Richardson said the pastern bone was shattered in "20-plus pieces."

The bones were put in place to fuse the joint by inserting a plate and 23 screws to repair damage so severe that most horses would not be able to survive it.

Horses are often euthanized after serious leg injuries because circulation problems and deadly disease can arise if they are unable to distribute weight on all fours.

Barbaro's injury came a year after Afleet Alex's brush with catastrophe at the Preakness. Turning for home, the horse was bumped by another and nearly knocked to his knees before gathering himself and going on to win.

———

AP Sports Writer Dan Gelston contributed to this report.

22nd May 2006 03:53 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:
Jews Rock!
Proof!

Agreed....people forget how the jews have contributed to music.
22nd May 2006 03:58 PM
gimmekeef Well if we throw out that Dradle song.........
22nd May 2006 03:59 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Well if we throw out that Dradle song.........

Adam Sandler....><
22nd May 2006 04:23 PM
nankerphelge "HA! nanker was right, we shoulda just shot the fucker!"

22nd May 2006 04:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
"HA! nanker was right, we shoulda just shot the fucker!"

Nanker. Why do you hate horses? Why? Is it because they run faster than sheep? is it because they aren't as accomodating as sheep?
22nd May 2006 04:37 PM
nankerphelge 2 bad experiences with horses as a kid.

I absolutely hate them.

Hate 'em all.

If'n I ever wake up and the headline reads "All horse mysteriously die of horse flu"

Party time!!!
22nd May 2006 04:39 PM
jb yoU ENJOYED gOD FATHER PART 1!!!
22nd May 2006 04:42 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
2 bad experiences with horses as a kid.

I absolutely hate them.

Hate 'em all.

If'n I ever wake up and the headline reads "All horse mysteriously die of horse flu"

Party time!!!

Well I didnt realize you had a reason to hate horses.I feel the same about snakes....Lets call a truse?...
22nd May 2006 04:51 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Nanker. Why do you hate horses? Why? Is it because they run faster than sheep? is it because they aren't as accomodating as sheep?

You don't get it--shooting it is an act of kindness. I think the people going to absurd lengths to save this creature (who will most likely shortly suffer an agonizing death) are the ones who hate horses.

I love Patti Smith--think I'll play 'Land' right now

22nd May 2006 05:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
You don't get it--shooting it is an act of kindness.

I get it. I've done it. Not a horse but a couple of dogs and the odd batch of kittens. If it's not necessary, don't do it. I'm just really glad I've never been a soldier.
22nd May 2006 05:05 PM
nankerphelge I get it too.

I just think they should be shot regardless of injury.

Imagine there's no horses
It's easy if you try
No big piles of horseshit
Above us only sky (unobstructed by stupid fucking horses)
Imagine all the people
Riding rather large dogs in the Kentucky Derby

You may say I'm an asshole
But you're not the only one

He's killing me, that nankerphelge!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
22nd May 2006 05:19 PM
telecaster
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

You don't get it--shooting it is an act of kindness. I think the people going to absurd lengths to save this creature (who will most likely shortly suffer an agonizing death) are the ones who hate horses.

I love Patti Smith--think I'll play 'Land' right now

Ahhh...you don't get it

All about the sperm jizzy, you of all people should know that
22nd May 2006 05:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I get it too.

Typical Republican talking point.
22nd May 2006 06:15 PM
FrankiePeppers
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Is Barbaro's sperm worth more than JB's portfolio?

Only he would have won the Triple Crown. Now it's worth the same as the rest of ours.
22nd May 2006 06:51 PM
lotsajizz Well. I stand corrected.

OK now
22nd May 2006 07:51 PM
LadyJane
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I get it too.

Imagine there's no horses
It's easy if you try
No big piles of horseshit
Above us only sky (unobstructed by stupid fucking horses)
Imagine all the people
Riding rather large dogs in the Kentucky Derby

You may say I'm an asshole
But you're not the only one

He's killing me, that nankerphelge!

[Edited by nankerphelge]

My mascara is all over my face...you LUNATIC!!!

I gotta find out what horses EVER did to you??? This will be a good one.

LJ.
22nd May 2006 08:13 PM
the good The place where he is being operated on is right up the road from my Aunt's house. Its a great place. They save hundreds of animals a year. If anybody can save him, they can.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)