ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vets Battling to Save Barbaro Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st May 2006 08:07 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Vets Battling to Save Barbaro

Vets are battling to save the life of crack American colt Barbaro who tragically broke down during the early stages of this morning's Preakness Stakes at Pimlico.
Barbaro, fresh off his runaway win in the Kentucky Derby, was sent out the hot favourite but left the crowd in shock when he went amiss and was pulled up out of the race by jockey Edgar Prado.

Connections are determined to save the three-year-old for stud duties after fracturing a hind leg in two places.

Larry Bramlage, the on call veterinarian at Pimlico was quizzed at a packed media conference in the wash up to the big race.

"At this point he's been x-rayed so we know the injury, he has a fracture both above and below the ankle," Dr Bramlage said.

"The way that practical happens is they break the one above the ankle first, and they have so much energy and adrenaline that they try to keep running."

"It would be very much analogous to someone twisting their ankle badly and fracturing their ankle."

The injury is understood to be similar to the one suffered by Australian champion Mummify over the concluding stages of last year's Caulfield Cup.

"The problems that brings up are two-fold," Dr Bramlage added. "One, there are significant danger to the blood supply to the lower limb."

"That's the one you worry about the most as far as this being a life-threatening injury, but equally as important is that's an injury that you or I would be put in bed for six weeks before we were allowed to walk on it, and that's impossible to do with a horse."

"So it's going to take some sort of major stablilizing surgery," he added. "The preliminary word was he was going to go the Universite of Pennslyvania for treatment, but there's a couple of steps to take care of before that."

"First of all, he didn't get a chance to run the race, so he is still full of energy. So they've tranquilized him and settled him down in the stall, and then you have to stablise the limb in some fashion for transport so that he doesn't do additional damage to it while he's hauled up there."

"So there's some major hurdles here. This is a significant injury, and there are at least a couple of things that it are very life-threatening for him. His career is over. This will be it for him as a racehorse."

"Under the best of circumstances, we're looking to try to save him as a stallion."

The next 24 to 48 hours will be critical.

© Cyberhorse 2006 Greg Irvine Published 21/05/06

-----------------------------------------------------------

Equine vet discusses injury to Barbaro
'We’re looking go try to save him as a stallion,' Bramlage says

DR. BRAMLAGE: At this point he’s been x-rayed so we know the injury, he has a fracture both above and below the ankle. Dr. Dan Dreyfuss is his attending veterinarian who took the radiographs.

The way that practical happens is they break the one above the ankle first, and they have so much energy and adrenaline that they try to keep running. It would be very much analogous to someone twisting their ankle badly and fracturing their ankle. They can stay in bed. Tried to keep running and he broke the bone just below the ankle because of the instability of the scenario.

The problems that brings up are two-fold. One, there are significant danger to the blood supply to the lower limb. That’s the one you worry about the most as far as this being a life-threatening injury, but equally as important is that’s an injury that you or I would be put in bed for six weeks before we were allowed to walk on it, and that’s impossible to do with a horse.

So it’s going to take some sort of major stabilizing surgery. The preliminary word was he was going to go to the University of Pennsylvania for treatment, but there’s a couple of steps to take care of before that.

First of all, he didn’t get a chance to run the race, so he is still full of energy. So they’ve tranquilized him and settled him down in the stall, and then you have to stabilize the limb in some fashion for transport so that he doesn’t do additional damage to it while he’s hauled up there.

So there’s some major hurdles here. This is a significant injury, and there are at least a couple of things that it are very life-threatening for him. His career is over. This will be it for him as a racehorse.

Under the best of circumstances, we’re looking go try to save him as a stallion.

Q. Just to confirm, Dr. Bramlage, is it the right hind ankle?

A. The right hind ankle. And the fractures are fracture of the bone just above and a serious fracture of the bone just below the ankle.

Q. Now, you said this was a touchy situation at best and that surgery was in the offing provided he could get that far. Best case scenario, when would he have this surgery in?

A. Well, that’s somewhat depends on him. If you have your choice, you would like to settle the horse down, get him used to the fact that he has a fracture. He becomes a much better patient for anesthesia and recovery from anesthesia, which as everyone knows is a major obstacle for a horse like that for an animal of 1200 pounds.

But in some instances, the fracture is unstable enough that you’ll take some intermediate route. We try not to take them immediately to the operating table because we know with a horse physiology and their psyche, especially, as I said in this scenario, he didn’t get a chance to expend these energies.

He’s still full of energy that they have to somehow deal with that psychological aspects of getting him under control and then taking him and make him a good patient for surgery and the anesthesia because this surgery will take some hours when they reconstruct him.

Q. Dr. Bramlage, Gary Stevens mentioned on the telecast before the race started that he seemed particularly revved up. Later he broke through the gate, and I presume he was vet checked after came back around before he was permitted to reenter the starting gate?

A. Right.

Q. Could that, that pent-up energy in anyway have served as the foundation for this kind of trying to do too much, or is it just a total fluke in the same way that this could happen to any horse at any moment?

A. Any horse, any person. You know, why does a football player turn their ankle, break their tibia? Why does a basketball player blow out their knee. It’s all of this excitement and energy certainly but that energy doesn’t predispose the fact that he’s going to have an injury. It has to be some sort of, you know, bad step, load the thing unevenly.

As everyone knows, they have six times our body weight and have about the same amount of ground surface as you or I do and those really elegantly built lower legs are very vulnerable to twisting it as just exactly the wrong ankle and create the fracture.

Q. Dr. Bramlage, before it was apparent to nay of us laymen that something was amiss, Edgar Prado was already in the process of pulling him up.

To what degree does the quickness of Prado’s actions improve Barbaro’s chances over the next 24, 48 hours?

A. Well, that relates to what I mentioned about the blood supply. The more steps he takes on an unstable limb, the more damage it’s going to do to the blood supply.

Horses only have two relatively small arteries to that part of the leg and so it’s critical that the horse get pulled up before they damage those too badly.

Edgar Prado probably knew something was wrong when that first fracture happened but the horse doesn’t likely know that. They don’t sense even in the end if Edgar had let him go he probably would have tried to chase him around the field because it doesn’t hurt initially with all that adrenaline rush especially when you tear the covering of the bone where the—where all nerve supply is.

The horse feels relatively nothing until the in inflammation set it. Edgar was probably more aware that he was injured than the horse was.

Q. Could you attempt to clarify Dr. Bramlage when in your estimation the first fracture occurred? Was it after he broke through the starting gate, the actual running of the race? I mean after the real running of the race could it have happened earlier?

A. No, it couldn’t have happened earlier because he broke out of the gate and was going whenever his action began to — when Edgar felt something was wrong so this happened sometime after he was going in the what, the first future long or so.

At around that time and then it took him another hundred yards to get him slowed down. So, in my opinion, this had nothing to do with him breaking through the gate as far as a cause and effect of the fracture in his leg. He wouldn’t have been able to go around the gate, get back in and break like he did.

Normally the way these happen is the one above happened first. Before Edgar could get him pulled up, the second fracture occurred, which makes this doubly difficult for the horse to heal everything up.

This is a very serious injury. The critical scenario is how the horse responds when you splint him, take care of him and get him on his way to be treated.

It will be a while before New Bolton Center will know exactly when the best time to treat him is.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
21st May 2006 08:15 AM
FrankiePeppers One more chapter in the long list of Philly-area sports team/athletes that can't win.

21st May 2006 08:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FrankiePeppers wrote:
One more chapter in the long list of Philly-area sports team/athletes that can't win.

Well that might be true. Unfortunately they might have to put this horse down. I hope not but there's only so much the vets can do.
21st May 2006 09:25 AM
FrankiePeppers The injury looked pretty bad on TV. When you see the horse on 3 legs limping, it's definately serious.
21st May 2006 10:21 AM
gimmekeef It was horrifying to watch and then see the poor horse after.Heres hoping he'll be saved...
21st May 2006 10:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Sun, May. 21, 2006

Barbaro's future could be determined Sunday, or in months

BY FRANK FITZPATRICK AND MARI SCHAEFER
Philadelphia Inquirer

BALTIMORE - Barbaro's racing career ended in the soft, gray loam of Pimlico's stretch. Now, with his Triple Crown quest tragically over, the horse's fate will be determined in Chester County, just down the road from his owners' West Grove, Pa., farm.

Veterinarians who attended to the Kentucky Derby winner after he broke bones above and below his right-rear ankle early in Saturday's Preakness said the horse's future could be determined as early as Sunday - or as far off as two months - at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square.

"They won't know more until after the surgery," said trainer Michael Matz when asked whether the injury was life-threatening. "He's at the best possible place he could be."

Barbaro, sedated and wearing a quadruple-padded cast on the leg, was wedged headfirst into a narrow stall in the Maryland Jockey Club ambulance that carried him from Baltimore to Kennett Square.

The ambulance arrived at 9 p.m. Media members and onlookers were already camped outside the Chester County facility, some holding signs that said "We Love You Barbaro" or "Good luck, Wonder Horse."

Dean W. Richardson, chief of surgery, was scheduled to perform surgery on Barbaro as early as Sunday afternoon.

David Nunamaker, another orthopedist at the New Bolton Center, said, "Any major fracture in a horse is life-threatening," but that the procedure to be performed is not uncommon, and recovery may depend more on Barbaro's post-surgery behavior than on the procedure itself.

It is certain Barbaro will never race again. But "if everything goes well, he should be fine as a stud. He just has to get over the hump," Nunamaker said.

In 1998, Richardson performed the surgery on Preakness contender Halory Hunter - owned by basketball coach Rick Pitino - when the horse broke a leg during a workout. The horse recuperated, though it never raced again.

Larry Bramlage, an equine surgeon who examined Barbaro on the track, said he did not think Barbaro's breaking through the gate in a false start had anything to do with the injury. He said it appeared to him that after 100 or so yards of the 131st Preakness, Barbaro took a bad step and broke the bone above the ankle.

"It took an additional 110 to 200 yards for Edgar to get him under control," said Bramlage, referring to jockey Edgar Prado. "These don't hurt immediately when they happen because the horse has so much adrenaline working. Edgar knew before the horse knew that something was wrong."

Those additional yards run on a broken leg caused the lower bone, the first phalanx, to snap, Bramlage said.

"People know enough to stop," Bramlage said. "He ran on. ... That will make it [recovery] doubly difficult."

Vets hoped the injury didn't damage the blood supply in the narrowest portion of Barbaro's leg. Without adequate blood flow, they said, recovery would be impossible. And even if the anesthesia and the surgery are successful, Barbaro would have to remain stable enough so that he doesn't damage the leg again during a long recovery. Thoroughbreds can't survive on just three good legs.

Dan Dreyfuss, the vet at Barbaro's Fair Hill Center home in Maryland, characterized the injury as more serious than those normally seen at Pimlico. He said it marked the first time in the five weeks of Pimlico's current meet that an ambulance had to be brought onto the track.

21st May 2006 12:13 PM
nankerphelge It's a horse people.

Just shoot it!
21st May 2006 01:01 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It's a horse people.

Just shoot it!

Nice..............Its a nankerphelge people...just ignore it
21st May 2006 04:36 PM
FrankiePeppers

21st May 2006 05:54 PM
pdog It's not like we're talking about a sheep here...
22nd May 2006 05:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It's a horse people.

Just shoot it!

"Them's fightin' words."
22nd May 2006 09:58 AM
jb This was truly devastating to watch. Regardless of whether you are a race horse fan or not,(which I am not) this was heartbreaking. My prayers to Barbaro for recovery of this catastrophic event. Hopefully, he will survive and live at his life as the champion he is.
[Edited by jb]
22nd May 2006 09:59 AM
pdog Did anyone see Baghdad ER on HBO... Made me rethink this horse issue.
It's only a horse!
22nd May 2006 10:01 AM
nankerphelge Hey gimmekeef -- suck the lint out of the crack of my ass would ya?
22nd May 2006 10:04 AM
pdog
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Hey gimmekeef -- suck the lint out of the crack of my ass would ya?

Holy shit !!! Is it always this crazy in the morning here?
22nd May 2006 10:05 AM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:
Did anyone see Baghdad ER on HBO... Made me rethink this horse issue.
It's only a horse!

Sharing grief for our soldiers and an animal is not incomsistent. Both the war and horse racing are barbaric events. One kills young men and women and the other abuses magnificent animals forcing them to run with a whip..
22nd May 2006 11:45 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Hey gimmekeef -- suck the lint out of the crack of my ass would ya?

No thanks..but if someone did..I'm sure they'd find your brain in the same cavity....carry on!
22nd May 2006 11:51 AM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

Sharing grief for our soldiers and an animal is not incomsistent. Both the war and horse racing are barbaric events. One kills young men and women and the other abuses magnificent animals forcing them to run with a whip..

This show was insane, God bless the 18,000 injured US soldiers.
They showed amputated body parts, never have I seen carnage like this, it was difficult to watch. Everyone should see this, to see how horrible war really is... The sacrafice people make, and the senseless killing. I pray for peace! If this fails, it would be a the biggest waste on all levels in the history of mankind!
22nd May 2006 11:54 AM
jb Especially the chicken hawks who send them over, but don't fight (see Dick Cheney and George Bush). Yet, they somehow got stupid Americans to beleive that a guy who willingly went to Nam (Kerry), was a coward....weird stuff?
22nd May 2006 12:20 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Especially the chicken hawks who send them over, but don't fight (see Dick Cheney and George Bush). Yet, they somehow got stupid Americans to beleive that a guy who willingly went to Nam (Kerry), was a coward....weird stuff?

Worst are the weasels that were for it and now against it

jb you know anyone like that?

Weak sisters

I wish weak sisters would have posted when Saddam started
4 wars with his neighbors. Or launched WMD (SCUDS) into Israel for no reason

Short memories

Today's American Jew is a disgrace!

jb, your Merecedes needs an oil change BTW
[Edited by telecaster]
22nd May 2006 12:24 PM
lotsajizz these well-meaning but misguided nutbags are inflicting unneeded pain on this animal...it should've been shot on the spot
[Edited by lotsajizz]
22nd May 2006 12:25 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Weak sisters

Short memories

[Edited by telecaster]

Your on a "Jew" thing today!!! It is O.K. to change your mind!!! We have seen the results of the war, and it has not been good. I supported the removal of Saddam...but looking back, it was a kmistake as the inteeligence was wrong-either negligently or intentionally, or a combination of both.
The American Jew is and continues to be a vital element in our society. We are as patriotic as anyone as my family has served proudly from WW1 through and including my cousin Mickey in Vietnam(albeit a cook). Thank you.
22nd May 2006 12:35 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
these PETA nutbags are inflicting unneeded pain on this animal...it should've been shot on the spot

Well as usual its about the money..Save the horse for breeding purposes.And with millions watching they werent going to shoot him.Now on another track..less of a crowd..lower grade horse then no doubt they'd just fire away...Funny how this is the story..not Bernardini that actually won the freakin race....
22nd May 2006 12:38 PM
jb I think the owners love that animal and with the advances of mordern veterinarian medicine, you give the horse a chance...I am sure they would not want their horse to suffer...we can only wish Barbero and fast and speedy recovery....
22nd May 2006 12:43 PM
Jumping Jack Is Barbaro's sperm worth more than JB's portfolio?
22nd May 2006 12:46 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Weak sisters

Short memories

[Edited by telecaster]

Short memories indeed. Telebushy forgets to mention that Reagan and the GOP backed Saddam in some of those wars he mentions....sold 'em arms and gave grants.....

OK now

Cazart!

22nd May 2006 01:00 PM
nankerphelge Wow gimmekeef -- you REALLY think it was about the money?

REALLY?

You're so smart -- god I admire you.

Gimmekeef searching for that elusive clue
22nd May 2006 01:06 PM
telecaster
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Short memories indeed. Telebushy forgets to mention that Reagan and the GOP backed Saddam in some of those wars he mentions....sold 'em arms and gave grants.....

OK now

Cazart!

Oh I remember!

You forgot that Saddam invaded Iran a year after Iran
took our embassy and held Americans hostage for 444 days

Howe could you forget that?

True, we did sell Iraq 1% ( one percent) of their total arsenal with France and Russia making up the other 99%
22nd May 2006 01:07 PM
jb Barbero was no Jewish!!!
22nd May 2006 01:11 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Barbero was no Jewish!!!

Barbaro is a Yiddish word meaning "Peace"
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)