ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy first year BdP!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Andy Kaufman alive? Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 19th, 2004 04:05 PM
Mel Belli This reads like a prank, but it's on the newsire:

Andy Kaufman Returns After 20 Years

New York City, NY (PRWEB) May 19, 2004 -- Twenty years ago, on May 16, 1984, most of the world believed that we had lost a comedic legend forever. This has turned out to be what will inevitably be known as the greatest comic prank ever conceived. Andy Kaufman, by all accounts, is alive and well at age 55 and is now living in New York City on the upper west side. To his loyal supporters and fans, Andy says "sorry about faking my death," in a recent interview with ABC News at his apartment. In order to reach legendary comic status and seal his place in the history of performance art, he said it was "necessary to go away for twenty years."

Andy Kaufman's official site has been launched at:
http://andykaufmanreturns.blogspot.com/

Even though he has technically returned, Andy says that he plans to maintain his low key lifestyle that he has led for the past twenty years. He has resumed contact with friends and family. Fearing the possibility of this scenario and the potential for another hoax, Kaufman's family has contracted with independent auditors Ernst & Young to determine if this in fact the real Andy Kaufman. He has subjected himself to medical examination and submitted DNA, hair, blood and fingerprint samples to the auditors. Ernst & Young and the Kaufman family report that with a 99% probability, this is indeed the real Andy Kaufman. His mother says, "It's good to have Andy back."

In 1999, a new crop of Kaufman fans were born after Jim Carrey starred in the hit film Man on the Moon. "Andy's bizarre mix of comedy and performance art will inspire fans and comedians alike for generations, especially after this stunt," says Jim Carrey.

Andy says he will make only occasional public appearances, sometimes in disguise so that you won't know if it's really him or someone else. Kaufman was famous for pulling this stunt with the Tony Clifton character, sometimes played by good friend Bob Zmuda.

Andy says fans should tune into his website for ongoing updates to his adventures in life. As always, Andy's stage has been the world, testing the boundaries of our beliefs, our sources of information, and our perception of reality. "It's good to be back," Andy writes on his website.

# # #
May 19th, 2004 04:08 PM
jb This is great news...thanks Sandrew.
May 19th, 2004 05:02 PM
Mel Belli The Jim Carrey quote sounds bogus.
May 19th, 2004 05:26 PM
Joey

Thanks Mel
May 19th, 2004 06:48 PM
cwatts0462 YEAH AND ELVIS IS ALIVE TOO
this would be all over the place on the news
and all other stations for that matter
[Edited by cwatts0462]
May 20th, 2004 03:07 AM
Prodigal Son Yeah, I quite don't understand how he could have faked his death. Probably his buddy Bob Zmuda is behind all of this just trying to fuel all the hysteria around the "Andy is Alive" phenomenon. Plus, how do you fake dying of cancer and taking his body from the morgue without any media coverage ever given to that occurence?
May 20th, 2004 07:15 AM
Zack Rubbish.
May 20th, 2004 07:46 AM
didst thou seem Brian Jones is alive.
May 20th, 2004 07:50 AM
Gazza >Plus, how do you fake dying of cancer and taking his body from the morgue without any media coverage ever given to that occurence?

Depends how little coverage was given at the time to the guy's illness and subsequent death. For example, no one knew Jim Morrison had died until 6 days after the event by which time he'd already been buried, and the only two people who saw his corpse were his widow (who never spoke about it publicly and who died 3 years later) and a mysterious "doctor" who signed the death certificate and then who couldnt be traced.

Was Andy Kaufman's terminal illness and death a big news story at the time? or was it a case of "shit, did you hear who died? I didnt even know he was ill"? Maybe those of you in the US can answer that. For me, it was a case of the latter scenario being the case.

It sounds (and probably is) ludicrous but it's not implausible for some eccentric celebrity (and Andy was definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic)to pull a fake death stunt and disappear into obscurity
May 20th, 2004 07:54 AM
didst thou seem Morrison may be evicted from his grave. It's leased.
May 20th, 2004 08:00 AM
Gazza As far as I remember, there was a 30 year lease on it which would have been due to expire in July 2001 and the owners of Pere Lachaise cemetery were considering whether or not to renew it, partly due to the vandalism of the area around the plot by fans over the years.

To the best of my knowledge, that problem was sorted out before the lease expired and Jim's family either bought the plot or had the lease extended for a lengthy period.
May 20th, 2004 08:12 AM
didst thou seem There was an article about it just last week. Forgot where I read it, maybe The Guardian? They're still trying to kick him out. He hardly belongs in that company, probably as much a motivation as the vandalism and the tourist fan problem.
May 20th, 2004 08:21 AM
caro There's a guy on the Pere Lachaise whose main occupation is to lurk in the alleys waiting for girls who search for Jim Morrison's grave. It's a huge guy, wearing a grey trenchcoat, he blends in quite well in the atmosphere. He's an American, he told me he was writing guides for tourists, somehow landed in Paris and is now preparing some artistico-historico-sociological book about the cemetery. In the meantime, he apparently tries to boink as many young innocent tourists as he can -- it seems to work quite well. He got a very lyrical speech prepared which lasts about 10 minutes -- the time it takes to get to the grave -- and the way back to the cemetery entrance is devoted to technical details : how long do you stay, you want a coffee, you wanna hear about my trip to Egypt?... He sure corners an interesting market.
[Edited by caro]
May 20th, 2004 09:50 AM
jb When will he be making this public?
May 20th, 2004 09:51 AM
Gazza >He hardly belongs in that company, probably as much a motivation as the vandalism and the tourist fan problem.

well,I dunno about that. Oscar Wilde, Chopin, Balzac and Piaf may be interred there as well, but its not as if its a "celebrity cemetery". Theres tens of thousands of ordinary folks there too!!

Didnt know about the recent development - thanks for the tip.

Pere Lachaise is a fascinatin' place though. Worth checkin' out if youre ever in Paris!
May 20th, 2004 10:49 AM
didst thou seem
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Theres tens of thousands of ordinary folks there too!!

Oh, I know. But THEY never inflicted the world with such depths of humorless posing, even for a rock star.

I like the guy pulling girl tourists though! Yeah - writing a book...it should be good if he'll go through with it.
May 20th, 2004 10:51 AM
jb Thanks for the info Gazza!!!
May 20th, 2004 10:51 AM
Joey

Thanks for the info Gazza!!!
May 20th, 2004 11:36 AM
Nasty Habits Andy Kaufman Fails To Rise From The Dead

Despite their efforts, a club full of Andy Kaufman's fans couldn't will him back to life. The comedian/amateur wrestler often joked about faking his own death and then returning 20 years later, and this Sunday was the 20th anniversary of his passing from cancer. Bob Zmuda, Kaufman's writer and partner, threw him a party at the House of Blues in West Hollywood just in case Kaufman pulled off the stunt. Two Defamer operatives filed their disappointed reports after the comic failed to rise from the dead. The consolation prize? Dennis Hof, owner of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch (Kaufman's favorite brothel), promised all ticket holders a free round with a prostitute if they showed up on Monday night.

It was...well, one of those nights that if you are a fan you are glad you were there for the historical record, but a very long evening otherwise. Andy did not appear, although many testified that he had talked about faking his death in the months before. Yes, the evening was not alive with thrills. Bob Zmuda, Andy's best friend, and the organizer, did a little on-stage interview show that was sorta weirdly out of place in the big House of Blues, followed by four stand ups, who were fairly funny, but nothing out of the ordinary.

This was followed by the most gossip worthy part of the night, but the most hard to watch for the people there forced to stand up in the overheated back of the HOB: a 90 minute film from the set of Man on the Moon, featuring Jim Carrey who decided to become Andy Kaufman for the duration of the film, tormenting the rest of the cast and crew, making their lives miserable.

After Zmuda and Andy's ex, Lynn Marguelis shot the thing, Carrey's management realized it made him seem insane and ridiculous and refused to give clearance for it to be shown, until Zmuda ran into Carrey a couple months ago, and got him to agree to let them show it once at this party. Which is too bad, because it wasn't the right setting for it at all. Especially as most of the crowd of Kaufman devotees is ambivalent at best about Man on the Moon followed by a Tony Clifton performance, milk and cookies, a wrestling demo, and a 2 AM walk to Andy's old apartment on La Cienga, which had been turned into a little shrine of Kaufman artifacts.

Compared to him coming back from the dead, definitely disappointing, I don't think anyone outside of hardcore fans could've enjoyed it, and they were let down that he didn't show up, so a tough night.

Yes, consolation prizes don't count for much, but there was one thing that perked up the diehards. At 2 AM, it was announced that the show would continue Monday night at Andy's favorite brothel, Reno's Moonlight Bunny Ranch. Dennis Hof (the Ranch owner) was there and announced that all who show up Monday night with a ticket, will get a free round with a prostitute there, on the house. That lifted a few spirits.

And another report:
It was kinda lame. I arrived at 7:30 (the time the tickets said the doors would open.) There was a decent sized line that stretched up to the front of the HoB. Not too intimidating. But we remained in that line for almost 2 hours! What the fuck? There was a fake, thin Tony Clifton walking by the line and a bizarre masked death-clown hanging around out front. By the time we got in the show had already started. Only 2 of the 3 bars were operating inside. Andy Dick was there as well as Paul Rudd. The whole thing seemed poorly planned and awkward. The comics were pretty standard. Nothing too experimental or unusual there. Then they closed the bar (11pm) and started showing this movie. It was a doc starring Jim Carrey about the making of "Man on The Moon!" I was disappointed. I was pretty sure that Andy wasn't coming back from the dead that night. But after the show I couldn't really remember what he looked like or what his material sounded like. Maybe someone else can give you a less jaded picture of it. I saw one guy there wearing a shirt that said: "If Andy doesn't show tonight, I'll kill him."

Original article here.

Mel, why doesn't your signature say nothin' about Lemmings into the Sea?

May 20th, 2004 11:40 AM
Joey

Thanks So Much Nasty !
May 20th, 2004 11:46 AM
gypsy I never cared for Andy.
May 20th, 2004 11:48 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I never cared for Andy.

Thanks So Much Gyps .
May 20th, 2004 12:00 PM
Bloozehound i thought his wrestling schtick with lawler was funny
May 20th, 2004 12:03 PM
jb Thanks nasty....very sad...
May 20th, 2004 12:10 PM
F505 I recently heard people have sex om Jim Morrison's grave....
May 20th, 2004 12:15 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
I recently heard people have sex om Jim Morrison's grave....

May 20th, 2004 01:16 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
F505 wrote:

May 20th, 2004 01:33 PM
jb Thanks Bloozehound.
May 20th, 2004 01:35 PM
I, your glass
quote:
F505 wrote:

I guess that's better than wanking on Brian's.

May 20th, 2004 01:36 PM
jb
quote:
I, your glass wrote:

I guess that's better than wanking on Brian's.

How do you keep registering a new name?
Page: 1 2