ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy first year BdP!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones benefit DVD for Toronto and various charities Return to archive
May 19th, 2004 11:52 AM
Monkey Woman OK, the boys have found a new twist to make us buy the Downsview dvd... It's for a good cause!

Stones' benefit put on a DVD
Contains footage from SARS event
Some of proceeds to be shared
May 19, 2004. 06:40 AM

BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA�The Rolling Stones, the headline act at last summer's SARS benefit concert, are performing an encore � this time on DVD.

The Stones have picked Toronto to launch their DVD featuring footage of the day-long concert, says Liberal MP Dennis Mills (Toronto-Danforth), a key organizer of the July 30 event.

Some of the proceeds of the DVD will go to health care and hospitality workers hurt by the SARS crisis, as well as other charities.

The Stones won't be on hand for the release tomorrow afternoon at the Harbour Castle Westin. But Mills says Stones lead singer Mick Jagger will deliver a video message to mark its official kickoff.

"It's going to be a DVD of highlights of all the artists," Mills said yesterday. "It's going to be a true representation of the day."

In addition to the Stones, the video will show other big acts that performed that day, such as AC/DC, Rush, Justin Timberlake and the Guess Who.

The day-long concert, which was designed to boost the city's sagging economy in the wake of the deaths caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome, attracted close to 500,000 spectators at Downsview Park. The outbreak killed 44 people in the GTA.

Mills is betting the DVD will give the city a boost as well. It will feature a vignette of Canadian tourism that was produced by Norman Jewison and originally shown at the concert.

Mills said among the charities that will benefit from the DVD sales include L'Arche, an international community of homes for people with disabilities which was founded by Canadian Jean Vanier, son of former Governor-General Georges Vanier.

Another beneficiary will be Right to Play, a charity that promotes sport among refugee children, children living in poverty, former child combatants and children orphaned by HIV/AIDS.

It counts Silken Laumann among its athlete ambassadors.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1084918210453&call_pageid=968867495754&col=968705925735
May 19th, 2004 12:10 PM
Lazy Bones Thanks, MW, for posting this. It's about time we've heard something about it.
May 19th, 2004 12:36 PM
Main Offender Nice post. What's up with Toronto?
May 19th, 2004 01:13 PM
Monkey Woman Well, as it says in the article, the city seems to be still suffering the after-effects of the SARS outbreak in early 2003. The July 30th 2003 concert was intended to "boost the city's economy" and especially the tourism industry. In effect, to make Toronto look attractive again to tourists and investors.
The 450,000+ attendance at the concert certainly helped with the catering and hostelry industry!
May 19th, 2004 01:36 PM
jb Thanks MOnkeyWoman....by the way, the actor who played the short, bearded warrior in 'Lord of the Rings"(John ?), predicted a civil war in France in the next 20-25 years....this was on "Scarsborough" country last night when they were discussing Michael Moore's reception at the Cannes film festival...
May 19th, 2004 01:48 PM
caro ROTFL! Was it related to soccer teams?
May 19th, 2004 02:03 PM
jb No Caro...apparently b/c of the influx of immigrant muslims who already are living separate and apart from mainstream French society...they now account for 10% of the population...sadly, they treat woman like dirt and have justified burning to deatha girl who dishonored her family by being rapped...these people are still living in the 11th century...scary stuff...
May 19th, 2004 02:27 PM
caro I don't remember hearing of a sudden influx of immigrants... As you probably know, there's been many Algerians here in France for decades. And the antagonism between french people and Arabs seems much stronger now than, say, 30 years ago. As usual, the current problems are more due to poverty and unemployment than to "cultural" dissents. Burning one's daughter is NOT "normal" behaviour amongst arab immigrants who live here.
So everyone here is trying to find a way to make the immigrants feel french -- it's really not an easy task. Banning headscarves from schools was one of the attempts at restoring "unity" amongst kids who grow up in France. I have to say I've no idea if this was a good decision. I'm a little lost myself, but I'm happy that people at least discuss the matter. As long as they discuss, there won't be no civil war. Just a somewhat wasted generation -- I wouldn't want to be a 20-year old arab guy in France, right now. If they had a possibility to get a job, they sure wouldn't be so interested in their sisters' lovelife.

But I don't want to hijack a lands(wo)man's thread...

[panicky editing -- ack! As soon as I try to say intelligent stuff, my english level drops through the floor]
[Edited by caro]
May 19th, 2004 04:08 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Well, as it says in the article, the city seems to be still suffering the after-effects of the SARS outbreak in early 2003. The July 30th 2003 concert was intended to "boost the city's economy" and especially the tourism industry. In effect, to make Toronto look attractive again to tourists and investors.
The 450,000+ attendance at the concert certainly helped with the catering and hostelry industry!

Toronto is a wonderful city. Everyone was so accomodating and friendly when I was there for Sarsfest. I'm half tempted to jump in the car and make the 2 hour drive. If ANY member of the Stones were to be in attendance tomorrow, rest assured, I'd be on the highway as we speak!!!

LJ.
May 19th, 2004 04:13 PM
Nellcote Imus refers to Scarborough Country as "Wayne & Garth"
is this true JB? I watch Greta Von Face Lift, waiting for "IT" to melt away.........
[Edited by Nellcote]
May 19th, 2004 04:18 PM
Moonisup as we all know, ACDC was playing better then the stones
May 19th, 2004 06:45 PM
fna69 heres the tracklist
The Have Love Will Travel Revue : Skybox Ballroom Pump
The Flaming Lips : Race For The Prize - Do You Realize
The Have Love Will Travel Revue : Dig Myself A Hole
The Isley Brothers : Who's That Lady - Shout
Justin Timberlake : Senorita
The Have Love Will Travel Revue : Time Won't Let Me
The Guess Who : American Woman - No Time
Rush : Limelight - Freewill - The Spirit Of Radio (Paint it Black)
AC/DC : Back In Black - Thunderstruck
Rolling Stones : Start Me Up - Ruby Tuesday - Miss You (w/ Timberlake) - Rock Me Baby (w/ AC/DC) -
I Can�t Get No (Satisfaction) - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Ruby tuesday will be the highlight for me.
May 19th, 2004 06:56 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
fna69 wrote:
heres the tracklist
The Have Love Will Travel Revue : Skybox Ballroom Pump
The Flaming Lips : Race For The Prize - Do You Realize
The Have Love Will Travel Revue : Dig Myself A Hole
The Isley Brothers : Who's That Lady - Shout
Justin Timberlake : Senorita
The Have Love Will Travel Revue : Time Won't Let Me
The Guess Who : American Woman - No Time
Rush : Limelight - Freewill - The Spirit Of Radio (Paint it Black)
AC/DC : Back In Black - Thunderstruck
Rolling Stones : Start Me Up - Ruby Tuesday - Miss You (w/ Timberlake) - Rock Me Baby (w/ AC/DC) -
I Can�t Get No (Satisfaction) - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Ruby tuesday will be the highlight for me.

Shitty!

Where's The Jack (for Pam)? Whole Lotta Rosie? Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be?

Stones - the version of IORR is the best I've heard from the tour (from the 63 I have). At least Ruby Tuesday and Rock Me Baby are there.

And nothing from the Tea Party?

Rush gets 3 tracks (4 with the Paint It Black medley) and AC/DC gets two?
May 19th, 2004 07:09 PM
Main Offender I'm not nuts about this DVD, I might not get it. But my question about Toronto was why do the Stones seem to like the place so much? They do nearly everything there. Anyone know why?
I think I lied, I'll spend my hard earned money on the DVD!
May 19th, 2004 09:44 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Main Offender wrote:
I'm not nuts about this DVD, I might not get it. But my question about Toronto was why do the Stones seem to like the place so much? They do nearly everything there. Anyone know why?
I think I lied, I'll spend my hard earned money on the DVD!

We're just nice people, that's all.
May 19th, 2004 09:52 PM
mac_daddy sucky track list for sure!

no Miss You..?

May 19th, 2004 10:00 PM
Gazza >I'm not nuts about this DVD, I might not get it. But my question about Toronto was why do the Stones seem to like the place so much? They do nearly everything there. Anyone know why?

apart from MOWAT's answer which I'm sure is also correct, the obvious reason is that they rehearse for tours there because 1) its out of the way from NY, LA etc and they can get on with things without too much media intrusion and 2) for tax purposes. By spending several weeks in Canada while rehearsing for a tour of the US, theyre not liable for US income tax
[Edited by Gazza]
May 19th, 2004 10:10 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Another reason is that they do not require work visas here because Canada is a member of the Commonwealth.
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
May 19th, 2004 10:11 PM
Lazy Bones Aside from the tax, it's the money, too (Cdn vs. US). Canadians also don't 'hound' them like fans in some other countries do. They get the respect and space which they'd otherwise usually draw.

Then there's the "we're great people", of course!
May 19th, 2004 10:13 PM
Lazy Bones The beer and whisky is really good, too!
May 19th, 2004 10:20 PM
Mr Jimmy Lots of reasons including the fact that Sassafraz makes a mean Shephard's Pie for Keith whenever he wants it.

...and yes, they do think that we're nice!
May 19th, 2004 11:49 PM
parmeda
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Shitty!

Where's The Jack (for Pam)? Whole Lotta Rosie? Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be?

Yeah! Where the hell's The Jack?

(I will NEVER forgive you for THAT and I will always hate you. Remember...on my death bed, I will curse you.)

LMAO...Nah, I would never curse anyone. But you, you I will always hate
May 20th, 2004 03:07 AM
rogerriffin one more time.... the bootlegs (dvd) are better than teh official stuff.
sorry.
May 20th, 2004 12:12 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
parmeda wrote:
LMAO...Nah, I would never curse anyone. But you, you I will always hate

LMAO...and I'll always remember what it was like being there hearing it live!
May 20th, 2004 12:14 PM
LadyJane How do I get my hot little hands on this DVD?

Must have!!

LJ.
May 20th, 2004 12:33 PM
Lazy Bones Thursday, May 20, 2004

Rolling out a DVD
Relive your fave SARS-stock moment with Toronto Rocks
By JANE STEVENSON
Toronto Sun
Ever wondered what Mick Jagger and Justin Timberlake talked about before their duet of Miss You/Cry Me A River during the Rolling Stones' closing set at SARS-stock last summer?

Well, you can find out on June 29 when Toronto Rocks, a two-disc DVD documenting the multi-act concert at Downsview Park that drew close to a half-million people -- the largest ticket single day event in history -- is released.

"In Canada, it's basically the concert -- about 90% -- and then some," said concert organizer Michael Cohl in an exclusive interview with The Sun yesterday afternoon prior to today's official unveiling of the much-anticipated DVD.

"Meaning there's some really nifty backstage pieces, at least for me. And I'm still a music fan, somehow still, after all these years. But when I go back, and I see Justin and Mick sitting on stage going, 'When do you want me to come in? Which bar? What about this?' And Mick saying to Justin, 'And this is where you should do, Cry Me A River, and Justin like nearly faints! It's sort of like, 'He knows my song?' 'Cause he looks at him. He's stunned for about a five-second (interval) of silence and then he looks at him and goes, 'Really?' And Mick says, 'Yeah, I think they'd really like that.' "

Cohl said the two-disc Toronto Rocks set, with a suggested retail price of $39.96, would be available at all retailers in Canada.

In the rest of the world, including the U.S., Toronto Rocks will be released as a single disc.

Cohl had to fight to get every act on the bill included on the worldwide disc.

"I got everybody on it," said Cohl, "but some of them are on the actual DVD of the concert and some of them are in the bonus features. Warner wouldn't take two discs for the rest of the world."

Cohl said all of the profits from the DVD sales have been earmarked for various charities that will be announced today at a press conference in Toronto.

In the meantime, The Sun exclusively obtained the Toronto Rocks track listing:

DISC 1

Available exclusively in Canada

* Sam Roberts: Don't Walk Away Eileen, Brother Down, Where Have All The Good People Gone

* Kathleen Edwards: One More Song The Radio Won't Like, Mercury, 6 O'Clock News

* La Chicane: Viens Donc M'voir, Le Fil, Le Yab De St. Nitouche

* The Tea Party: Temptation, Heaven Coming Down, Sister Awake/Paint It Black

* Blue Rodeo: Trust Yourself, Hasn't Hit Me Yet, Lost Together

* Sass Jordan: High Road Easy, You Don't Have To Remind Me, Brand New Day, Make You A Believer (featuring Jeff Healey)

Bonus Material

* In The Crowd -- Experience the concert from the fans' perspective

* Press Tent -- See your favourite musicians talking to the media

DISC 2

Available in Canada and worldwide

* The Love Will Travel Revue (Featuring Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi): Skybox Ballroom Pump

* The Flaming Lips: Race For The Prize, Do You Realize

* The Love will Travel Revue: Dig Myself A Hole

* The Isley Brothers: Who's That Lady, Shout

* Justin Timberlake: Senorita

* The Love Will Travel Revue: Time Won't Let Me

* The Guess Who: American Woman, No Time

* Rush: Limelight, Freewill, Paint It Black/The Spirit Of Radio

* AC/DC: Back In Black, Thunderstruck

* Rolling Stones: Start Me Up, Ruby Tuesday, Miss You (featuring Justin Timberlake), Rock Me Baby (with AC/DC), Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash

Bonus material

* The Photo: Exclusive backstage footage of all the bands getting together for a group photo

* Justin Timberlake Meets The Rolling Stones: An insider's look at Justin hanging with the Stones

* AC/DC Rockin' With The Stones: The two powerhouse bands onstage together

* Director's Chair: Director Marty Callner calls the shots for AC/DC's Thunderstruck

* Get The Party Started: Featurette on the opening performances

May 20th, 2004 08:29 PM
parmeda
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
LMAO...and I'll always remember what it was like being there hearing it live!

...fucker!

(Affectionately, of course )
May 21st, 2004 07:01 PM
nankerphelge Doesn't have enuf AC/DC!

Them boys rocked that night!

Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be was one hell of an opener.