ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Hi there
© Arici Graziano
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New York Dolls at the Trocadero(long)nsc Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 16th, 2005 02:31 PM
FPM C10 Friday the 13th

When SS stopped by our house to pick up Erica and me, I saw that he had painted his fingernails black. I had already spiked my hair and asked Erica for a “girly” shirt to wear – she handed me a purple satin blouse with sort of puffy sleeves – and put on a bunch of her bracelets and bangles, but I immediately saw that nail polish was a MUST. I grabbed a bottle of nail polish from the table and saw, as we climbed into SS’s vehicle, that it was purple and matched my shirt perfectly. My ensemble was topped off with an old lady’s black leather coat and black jeans. It’s important to get dolled up when you go see the New York Dolls.

We were leaving early so we could have a nice dinner before the show – the Trocadero is smack dab in the middle of Philadelphia's Chinatown. So when we stopped for a pee at a restaurant on the turnpike, it was only about 3:30 pm, and I realized as I walked in that, out here among the bland normals, I looked like the Whore of Babylon. I got some REALLY funny looks, but I really enjoyed them. When I walked into the restroom, for some reason the Psychedelic Furs were playing really loud, and I thought that perhaps I was the only one in there dressed appropriately. As I returned to the car a lady yelled “Hey, nice shirt!” but she sounded like she actually liked the shirt.

SS rode people’s asses the whole way in the Sure-Kill Expressway, making Erica and I more than a little nervous since we were in a big wreck two weeks ago. But we got into the city without incident, parked, and walked to the Troc. We wanted to make sure there wasn’t a big line outside. There were two people, a guy and a girl with Dolls shirts on. They looked to be in their late 30s or 40s. They looked at me and gave me a sidelong glance of recognition, like a Masonic handshake. Oh, he's one of US. We went directly across the street to Joseph Poon’s and had a beautiful and delicious meal and a few beers. There we met up with Shawn, a good friend of Cardinal Fang’s who we’ve known from the boards for years but never met in person, and immediately fell into the familiarity peculiar to the internet – like you went to grade school together, yet had somehow never seen each other before. After the meal Shawn, SS and I went to the parking lot to catch a buzz while Erica and our other friends got in line. When we returned, Erica came out of the club and pulled me inside – since we were over 21 and already had our tickets we could go drink in the upstairs lounge until the doors opened. First I had to go past Security, who ran a wand over me yet somehow missed the DV camera in my pocket. We went up a long steep stairway and in my altered state I was first struck by the incredible variety of colors of paint which was chipping off the walls. Then I realized that what I was hearing through the wall was not a CD but the Dolls doing their soundcheck. And they sounded AMAZING. They were playing “Lonely Planet Boy”.

We sat and took in our surroundings over a cold beer. The Trocadero was first opened in 1870. In its earliest days it offered musical comedies and traveling minstrel shows. Later, vaudeville and burlesque came to its stage, and later still, it was refurbished for use as an art house cinema and fine arts theatre. In 1986, it was remodeled again and became a concert hall and dance club. Now, 20 years later, all of the paint is chipping off of everything and it has that glorious punkclub stench of stale beer and cigarettes. All in all, it is the PERFECT place to see the Dolls. It’s like it was built specifically for that purpose. Because the Dolls ARE a traveling minstrel show / vaudeville act / burlesque queens / art house dance band.

When the doors to the main room opened at 7, we walked downstairs and got a spot right along the rail on Syl’s side of the stage. However, in about 2 minutes we realized that we couldn’t smoke or drink there, and would have to endure the opening act – the Union Dead – and it was going to be hours until the Dolls came on. It was also obvious that the place was so tiny that ANYPLACE, on the floor OR in the balcony, was going to be amazing. So Erica and Shawn and our friend Brownie and I beat it back upstairs and pounded down some beers and chainsmoked. We talked nonstop, and every so often Erica would go look to make sure the floor wasn’t filling up. It wasn’t. Soon the opening act came and went. They sounded dismal from our vantage point. All the more reason to keep drinking.

When the opening act stopped, we stubbed out our cigarettes and finished our beers and returned to the main room. We couldn’t get QUITE back to where we had been – SS was there, in the best spot in the house – but we were still ridiculously close. This was going to be awesome.

The mix tape before the show was obviously picked by Johansen. It was almost all incredibly cool old blues stuff from the 30s that sounded like Memphis Minnie, interspersed with stuff like Julie London’s “Cry Me A River”. The guitar techs came out and plugged in the guitars – the guy with Syl’s big gorgeous Gretsch played a bit of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”, which got a cheer, and the other guy played a bit of the Simpson’s theme song on Steve Conte’s Les Paul Jr. That got a bigger cheer. The mix tape had changed into some sort of audio collage of bits of opera, and the lights went down. The various members of the Dolls took their places, and I pulled my camera out of my pocket and started taping. The audience was getting revved up, until Johansen walked out, at which point everyone went nuts. He looks amazing! He’s built like Mick Jagger, only skinnier, if you can imagine that, and he was dressed perfectly for his role – black pants with a sort of loincloth thingie overtop of them, with Buddha on the flaps, a leather jacket, a white t-shirt with an “OM” symbol on it, shades, long brown hair framing his simian face. Sort of like something you’d never seen before, strange and odd and funny and graceful and beautiful. He put his book with lyrics on the music stand (it says “Kali’s Hands” on the cover) and, after surveying his surroundings, said “When I say I’m in love, you best believe I’m in LOVE, L-U-V” and everything exploded. The band hit “Lookin’ For A Kiss” like a freight train. It was just too perfect. I was getting great stuff on tape. “Puss ‘N’ Boots” was next, then “Subway Train”. Dinah woncha blow yo horn! David introduced Steve Conte, who obviously spent his childhood wanting to be Johnny Thunders when he grew up, and Steve launched into…the wrong song. David stopped the band and said “Let’s all play the same song, shall we?” Then he said “You know, of all the band who ever imitated the New York Dolls, my favorite was always Big Brother and the Holding Company.” The band, all on the same page now, launched into their amazing cover of “Piece of my Heart” and were halfway through it when a hand clamped down on my shoulder and I was bumrushed out the door onto the street for taping the show. The guy throwing me out, some dink with glasses and a moustache, was giving me some sort of lecture about taping a show in HIS club. Then he took my camera, put it in the box office, and said “goodbye” and left me standing on the sidewalk where I could hear the band starting “Bad Girl”.

For some reason, when stuff like this happens to me, I don’t panic. I immediately weighed my options. I only had $20 left, not enough to bribe anyone. So I walked over to the two bouncers and just asked them what I should do. I was stuck there and had nowhere to go. I explained what had happened. “Did you sneak the camera in there?” No, it was in my pocket. If they had told me not to take it in I wouldn’t have. “Did you give the manager any attitude?” No, sir, I didn’t, sir. They immediately switched into good cop mode and got another, nicer manager out there, who made me pay $3 for a ticket to get my camera back after the show, hand over the tape, gave me a little friendly “you KNOW better” lecture and let me back in. They were just finishing up “Lonely Planet Boy”. I’d only missed a song and a half.

It took me a little while to get back in the swing of things, but I did. It was an amazing, amazing show, one that I had incredibly high expectations for but which surpassed them. “Trash” in particular was just beyond unbelievable. They did a new song, “We’re All In Love”, which stands up well next to their classics. They covered the Shirelles’ “Out In The Street” and it was gorgeous. Johansen was absolutely riveting, and was obviously having a HUGE amount of fun. For an encore they did “Human Being”, with the entire crowd singing along. Syl, who at some point in the proceedings had told SS he was “handsome, like David Johansen” was playing a sunburst Les Paul, and David Jo strapped on his Gretsch and started bashing along. Everyone in the whole place was smiling, but no one more than David and Syl.

It was a perfect night of rock and roll, one I’ll never forget. It WAS a Friday the 13th, and it ALMOST really sucked (if I hadn’t got my DV camera back and had to stand out on the sidewalk listening to the rest of the show, I would have been reeeeally bummed), but all’s well that ends well! My only complaint is – DAMN that tape had some GREAT stuff on it, not only the Dolls but me painting my fingernails in the car too, and now that officious little prick who tried to throw me out is probably watching it!

Setlist:

1. Lookin' For a Kiss
2. Puss
3. Subway
4. Piece of My Heart
5. Bad Girls
6. You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory/Lonely Planet Boy
7. Private World
8. Pills
9. We're All In Love
10. Mystery Girls
11. Frankenstein
12. Out In The Streets
13. Trash
14. Jet Boy
15. Personality Crisis

Encore:
Human Being

[Edited by FPM C10]
May 16th, 2005 02:40 PM
Joey At a time when so many critics have focused on the major players in the classic rock field , Fleabit has written a panoramic study of how true talent plays out in the music arena. Combining the best techniques of investigative reporting with majestic storytelling ability, he has created a vivid, revelatory institutional history as well as a rich hologram of the artiste's character.

....Magisterial, exhaustive, and highly literate, Fleabit ... a Plutarch (or perhaps Suetonius) for our time

Flacky ! ™

[Edited by Joey]
May 16th, 2005 02:47 PM
Joey

< --------- With his Tolstoyian touch for story telling and drama , FPM , C10 , gives us a fascinating ride through the corridors of music sovereignty .....
May 16th, 2005 04:21 PM
sirmoonie Yet another sterling review, FPM.
May 16th, 2005 04:22 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Yet another sterling review, FPM.

Agreed ! ... it blows doors .

Moofy ! ™
May 16th, 2005 10:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot I was gonna write up my take on the show, but instead I'll just say...

Yeah, what Flea said.

I'll tell you all something right now...The Stones will have to be on the top of their game at Hershey if they want to top the Dolls at the Troc. that ain't no lie.

One thing that Flea didn't mention....those guys are all really small people. I think I coulda fit Syl in my back pocket. I've seen fishing poles thicker than Johansen's arms.

Syl wanted in my pants. Hee hee hee!
May 17th, 2005 09:16 AM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Syl wanted in my pants. Hee hee hee!

I will continue to have benign fasciculations, stomach pain, flank pain, and stress related disorders ( see : rectal irritation..... )

Tee Hee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 17th, 2005 10:04 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I'll tell you all something right now...The Stones will have to be on the top of their game at Hershey if they want to top the Dolls at the Troc. that ain't no lie.

That AIN'T no lie at all. It was world-class, A#1, 100% Rock & Roll, and it's just hard to imagine anything surpassing it by any more than the tiniest of margins. It's hard to get fired up about much else after that show.

The Stones are capable of playing that good but usually don't. They're playing a place 30 times bigger, and it's gonna cost a lot more than $30.

The Dolls are playing some little bar on Long Island this summer for $120 a ticket, and if money was no object I'd go, but I really think the Troc was a better place to see them.

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
One thing that Flea didn't mention....those guys are all really small people. I think I coulda fit Syl in my back pocket. I've seen fishing poles thicker than Johansen's arms.

Yeah, at least he didn't take his shirt off like he does on the DVD. THAT's scary.

Just about ALL great musicians are my size or smaller. The Stones are all litle guys too.

I think David Johansen is a national treasure. It's a fucking crime that there's ZERO coverage of this tour. People should be falling to their knees and thanking Krishna or whoever the hell that was on David Jo's loincloth thingy, because the Dolls coming back at this juncture is a MIRACLE.
May 17th, 2005 10:28 AM
jpenn11 I'm suspect you've posted this before, but do you have a tour schedule or know where I can find one?
May 17th, 2005 11:38 AM
FPM C10
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
I'm suspect you've posted this before, but do you have a tour schedule or know where I can find one?

http://www.new-york-dolls.com

The tour's almost over. Last night they played Cleveland.

I hope they stay together - the new song they played makes me hopeful that I'll see them again...

NEW YORK DOLLS TOUR DATES

Metro, Chicago Tue, 05/17/05
Majestic Theatre, Detroit Wed, 05/18/05
Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto Sat, 06/11/05
Stephen Talkhouse, Long Island Sat 7/23 and Sun 7/24*
Notodden Festival, Norway Sat, 08/06/05

* stephentalkhouse.com
May 17th, 2005 01:01 PM
purrcafe FPM C10 wrote:
Steve Conte, who obviously spent his childhood wanting to be Johnny Thunders

If you only knew how untrue this is.
[Edited by purrcafe]
May 17th, 2005 01:14 PM
FPM C10
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Steve Conte, who obviously spent his childhood wanting to be Johnny Thunders

If you only knew how untrue this is.
[Edited by purrcafe]

Well, I certainly didn't mean anything BAD by it. In fact, if that's NOT true (and I'll take your word that it's not), then he's even more impressive than I thought. But the first explanation for his eerie channeling of JT that occured to me was that he had devoted his life to studying every note Johnny ever played in the hopes that SOMEDAY the Dolls would get back together and call him.

The whole question of how Johnny Thunders' vacant shoes were going to be filled was crucial to the success or failure of this enterprise. It could've been a total travesty, and instead, it's a triumph, and besides David Jo and Syl, the credit goes to Steve Conte. As David says on the DVD/CD of Festival Hall, "I think he's fuckin' doin' a great fuckin' job!"

So what IS the true story?
May 17th, 2005 03:09 PM
purrcafe
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

So what IS the true story?

He and his brother were involved with music from a very young age, but I don't think that he was particularly married to JT. He got a degree in Jazz from Rutgers University and has played on tons of sessions for people like Peter Wolf and Bowie. He's very accomplished, obviously, but do you think he plays with the heart that Thunders did? I saw the Underground Garage Festival and thought that they weren't raw enough.
May 17th, 2005 04:30 PM
FPM C10
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
He's very accomplished, obviously, but do you think he plays with the heart that Thunders did? I saw the Underground Garage Festival and thought that they weren't raw enough.

Raw enough for what?

It's not Conte's job to supply the heart. His job is to be true to the music as represented on their two albums. Syl and David provide the heart.

I guess I should say at this juncture that I'm not a particularly big JT fan. I have a whole videotape full of horrible, embarrassing junked-out performances of his, and am a firm believer that even if he had somehow managed to stay alive into this century he would have probably screwed up 9 out of 10 shows on this reunion tour. True, that 10th one would be GREAT, but the hell with that. Junk ain't chic. It's for losers. And this ain't the 70s, for the Dolls OR the Stones.

Perhaps in an attempt to overcome his lack of a heroin addiction (to REALLY make the reunion OFFICIAL) Steve DID start the wrong song when he was introduced, and played a solo sitting on his ass on the edge of the stage.

I'm certainly not going to nitpick that show. It was fucking magnificent. SS was at the Garage Festival too, but he seemed to think they were pretty good up there.

Maybe they can get Mick Taylor to join the band. I think he might still have a habit.
May 17th, 2005 04:43 PM
purrcafe
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Maybe they can get Mick Taylor to join the band. I think he might still have a habit.

What exactly did I write that makes you think I am fixated (no pun intended) on Thunders heroin addiction? In reading it back, I don't see anything that would lead you in that direction. My issue is that they didn't get a Thunders stand in who really is what you thought Conte was. I'd have loved to have seen Izzy Stradlin, as was originally planned, or Andy McCoy, Walter Lure, or someone else who was cut from the same cloth.

As far as being "raw enough for what?," I'd say raw enough to sound like the Dolls, who, to the best of my knowledge didn't often sound quite so slick as these guys.

I'm not quite sure why people are so enamoured of these "Dolls." The public had no use at all for the 1976 Dolls, which also consisted of only Johansen and Sylvain and their hired hands. As far as Johansen providing the soul of the band, he certainly did enough to disavow himself of them over the years, and he turned down the opportunity to reunite to benefit Arthur's medical expenses when Kane was half dead, so I'll disagree there as well.

As far as it not being the '70s for the Dolls or the Stones, I'll go a step further and say not only is it not the '70s, it's also not the Dolls.
[Edited by purrcafe]
May 17th, 2005 05:04 PM
FPM C10
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

What exactly did I write that makes you think I am fixated (no pun intended) on Thunders heroin addiction?

You didn't say anything about it - but how do you separate the concept of Johnny Thunders from the concept of junk? The two became synonymous pretty quickly.

quote:
purrcafe wrote:

My issue is that they didn't get a Thunders stand in who really is what you thought Conte was. I'd have loved to have seen Izzy Stradlin, as was originally planned, or Andy McCoy, Walter Lure, or someone else who was cut from the same cloth.

I think they went the same route the Stones did, i.e. trading hit or miss brilliance for reliable performances, and this is the same argument as "1972/3 Stones vs. Now". You can be incredibly great once in a while, or merely fantastic every night. I always opt for the latter.

quote:
purrcafe wrote:
As far as being "raw enough for what?," I'd say raw enough to sound like the Dolls, who, to the best of my knowledge didn't often sound quite so slick as these guys.

I wasn't there, back in the day, shootin' up in the back room, so I don't know. I just know that their first album is a crucial document of rock & roll history, and I wanted to see them play it, and I did, and I was thrilled.

quote:
purrcafe wrote:
I'm not quite sure why people are so enamoured of these "Dolls." The public had no use at all for the 1976 Dolls, which also consisted of only Johansen and Sylvain and their hired hands. As far as Johansen providing the soul of the band, he certainly did enough to disavow himself of them over the years, and he turned down the opportunity to reunite to benefit Arthur's medical expenses when Kane was half dead, so I'll disagree there as well.

The public had no use for the '73 Dolls EITHER, and in general they don't have any use for the '05 Dolls. I don't know anything about the refusal to reunite for Arthur - I thought he died right after the reunion. As far as '76 vs. now, there's a world of difference between keeping something going too long (like Joe Strummer did with the Clash - the history books have expunged that ignomious chapter) and returning to it after everyone's issues are straightened out. Also, Johansen was TRYING to keep some sort of career going and viewed the Dolls as a hindrance to that goal.

All I know is I saw one of the greatest rock & roll shows of my life on Friday and no amount of "yeah, but"s are going to change that.
May 17th, 2005 06:53 PM
purrcafe Yeah, but believe me, I don't begrudge you a great show or a great time, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, and you make some very valid points, ie, the Clash. My complaint lies with the fact that it is called the Dolls. I wish they would have gone the DTK/MC5 route, who called their show "a celebration of the music of the MC5." Or something like that.
May 17th, 2005 08:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot You're right Purr...it really wasn't the Dolls. The Who aren't really the Who either. Skynrd isn't really Skynrd. For that matter, The Rolling Stones aren't really The Rolling Stones. But what are ya gonna do? Folks will still refer to them as "The Dolls" no matter what they call themselves.

It's cute, that "celebration of the MC5" thing. I admire the notion. But people still call them the MC5. Same with the Doors 2000...people even refer to that abomination as simply The Doors. I see your point Purr, and I even pretty much agree...but your point is moot.

Now, I was at the Little Steven thing too. I know why they sounded slick. They sounded slick because of what came after them...The Stooges. ANYTHING sounds slick compared to the Stooges.

But this version of the band...they still hit pretty hard. It's just that now, instead of sounding like a train wreck...they just sound like a train. I don't think that is so bad.

I don't mind Steve Conte. He's fine. So's the bass player dude from Hanoi Rocks. Fine. The drummer is fine. All very good players. It's fine. They all know the show is about David Jo and Syl...and most importantly the songs.

Would it be better with Izzy or someone else? I dunno, maybe. But since it isn't, I guess it's more mootness.

Here's the deal. I've seen The New York Dolls...or what is left of them...twice now. I liked what I saw, I'm glad I saw it, and it was worth every penny spent and mile driven. That's all that really matters to me. The rest of it is all stuff that is out of my control....so I don't worry about too much.
May 17th, 2005 09:04 PM
purrcafe The Stooges were absolutely awesome at the Garage Fest. And, that was tame compared to the show that they did at Jones Beach the summer before!
May 17th, 2005 09:24 PM
FPM C10
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
Yeah, but believe me, I don't begrudge you a great show or a great time, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, and you make some very valid points, ie, the Clash. My complaint lies with the fact that it is called the Dolls. I wish they would have gone the DTK/MC5 route, who called their show "a celebration of the music of the MC5." Or something like that.

Hahahaha!! You can't rain on a parade that's already been here and gone. I'm sorry you have problems with it, just because you cheated yourself out of a fucking fantastic show.

If there were still living members of the band around who weren't included, the point would be more valid. There ain't. I didn't hear one person saying "which one's Johnny Thunders?" Everyone knew the score or they wouldn't have been there. You would also have a valid point if they had decided not to play any Dolls songs, because REALLY, that's what this is all about. Goddamit, every fucking critic in the world puts "Never Mind The Bollocks" in their Top Ten Greatest Records Ever list, but every lick on it can be found on the first Dolls album. (Christ, Steve Jones was even playing Syl's white Les Paul!) Except the Dolls were FUN!

I don't care if they called it "David Jo and Syl Present A Stroll Down Memory Lane Featuring The Music Of The New York Dolls", my review would still have been entitled "New York Dolls At The Trocadero".

Long Live The New York Dolls, I say. If my raving about the show gets ONE person out the door and into one of the last few shows of this tour, I'll feel great about it. And if your pissing and moaning about what it should be called deters anyone, well, that would suck. It's not like shit this great happens every day, and you gotta grab it while you can.
May 17th, 2005 09:28 PM
FPM C10
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
The Stooges were absolutely awesome at the Garage Fest. And, that was tame compared to the show that they did at Jones Beach the summer before!

I'm sorry, but Mike Watt was NOT in the Stooges. It should have been called "James Osterberg Presents A Celebration of the Music of The Stooges".
May 18th, 2005 10:13 AM
purrcafe Your comparision is not valid. Original bassist Dave Alexander played a minimal role in the Stooges sound, which was really based on Ron Asheton's guitar playing. Additionally, if you've ever read any of Watt's inteviews or diary entries, he is obviously very close to the Stooges music. Iggy brought back the Stooges with 75% of the band intact (and included Steve McKay the saxophonist on Funhouse). The Stooges stayed true to their original intent and are just as powerful now as they were in 1969, whereas the Dolls now have a keyboard player who serves as musical director, and a singer who relies on a lyric book, which is a comment on just how close to this material he must be.
The "Dolls" regrouped with three of five members and chose to continue on with two of the five after poor Arthur's death. At this point, we have Johansen and two players who were affiliated with his solo activities, which is all the more reason to me that it shouldn't be called the Dolls.

DTK/MC5 made the name change out of respect for the contributions of the missing members, which I guess you can't accuse the Dolls of doing.

I was curious if you had ever actually seen Thunders play, or if you are basing your opinion on the video that you mentione earlier? I saw JT many, many times, and contrary to his reputation, he rarely disappointed. As far as Arthur's medical bills, I was referring to the fact that he had the misfortune of being hit in the head with a brick in the midst of the LA riots, and then of taking a nasty fall which further damaged his health. It was during this period that overtures where made to reform the Dolls with the original members to help cover his medical bills.
May 18th, 2005 10:24 AM
purrcafe
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Hahahaha!! You can't rain on a parade that's already been here and gone. I'm sorry you have problems with it, just because you cheated yourself out of a fucking fantastic show.

Hmm. You really don't like people having views that differ from yours, do you? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I don't care whether you had the best time of your life or the worst. I didn't cheat myself out of a thing. I saw them at Garage Fest, I wasn't particulary impressed, and I didn't even consider going to see them again. You know who was great at Garage Fest though? The Beatles! Yeah, Pete Best played and he did Beatles songs. I don't care what they called it, to me it was the Beatles. Hahahaha!!
May 18th, 2005 10:59 AM
purrcafe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Stonesalot,

Thank you for bringing some welcome civility and intelligence to the discussion, which has stupidly taken a turn towards the argumentative. But, I know that you have been a member of this board for a long time (as have I, although I only tend to be active during Stones touring periods), and have been a reliable poster of valid material for which you are to be commended. These things turn into, like bouts of "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" far too often.

purr
May 18th, 2005 02:15 PM
FPM C10 Oy. I KNOW I'm in trouble when SS is the "good cop" and I'm the bad one.

I usually only run into crap like this when I'm dealing with Republicans. Um, Purr, who'd YOU vote fo...oh, never mind.

I should've just stuck with my initial review and let it stand at that. I had just seen one of the best rock & roll shows of my life and it seemed like you were saying "Oh no you didn't."

I guess the whole thing boils down to Johnny vs David Jo, and I am firmly in the David Jo camp. (Heehee.."camp"...) especially since David Jo is alive and brilliant, not only with the "Dolls" but also with Hubert Sumlin and with the Harry Smiths, while Johnny killed first his potential and then himself with heroin. I have no time for that shit. It's for losers. I know some people used to think it was romantic, but not me. It's bullshit, and Johnny was a poster boy for it. I'll take your word for it that Johnny was a great performer. Beyond the Doll's two albums, there's certainly not much evidence of that floating around.

And it would be GREAT if Johnny was alive and playing up to his potential and taking part in the Dolls reunion, but he isn't, and you can't put your arms around a memory. (And the fact that the Dolls play that at EVERY show speaks volumes about everything we're talking about. To me, anyway.)

The Stooges comment was a fucking JOKE. Sorry to make you pull out Mike Watt's diary to prove me wrong. I'm perfectly ok with Mike Watt being in the Stooges. In fact, if it was just Iggy and Ron Asheton with other people playing nothing but Stooges songs, I'd be cool with them calling it the Stooges, as long as they were playing Stooges songs.

But you're certainly as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine and I shouldn't have argued with you. I should've followed my gut reaction, which was to use Glencar's classic retort:

Feh.
May 18th, 2005 02:35 PM
purrcafe I never voted Republican in my life. All that I'm getting from you is that you feel personally attacked because I have my reasons for not standing behind Johansen and company. As far as the anti-heroin preaching, Thunders drug use doesn't negate his musical contributions. I'm sorry that he's gone, and he lost his muse by the mid-1980s, but between the Dolls, the Heartbreakers and his solo stuff, he left a helluva legacy, so get off your soap box about losers, etc., etc. And hey, how about those Beatles?
May 18th, 2005 02:48 PM
Joey [quote]FPM C10 wrote:
Oy. I KNOW I'm in trouble when SS is the "good cop" and I'm the bad one. "

Fleabit ...................................

My C10 Brother ....................................

I just E-Mailed you a little " Thank You Note " for sending me the C10 MOVIE . OUTSTANDING !!!!!

Have you read it yet ?

Developing ..................................

Joey , C10

May 18th, 2005 02:54 PM
FPM C10
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
I never voted Republican in my life.

I was KIDDING! Man! Sarcasm just doesn't work on the internet!

quote:
purrcafe wrote:
All that I'm getting from you is that you feel personally attacked because I have my reasons for not standing behind Johansen and company.

There's nothing PERSONAL in it AT ALL, on either end. We're just having a discussion that gets heated at times, as discussions sometimes do.

quote:
purrcafe wrote:
As far as the anti-heroin preaching, Thunders drug use doesn't negate his musical contributions.
I'm sorry that he's gone, and he lost his muse by the mid-1980s, but between the Dolls, the Heartbreakers and his solo stuff, he left a helluva legacy, so get off your soap box about losers, etc., etc.

It certainly did negate it in real life. I really don't think I'm out of line bringing anti-heroin sentiments into a discussion of Johnny Thunders. And the loser part of it IS his legacy. Like it or not.

quote:
purrcafe wrote:
And hey, how about those Beatles?

Was Pete Best actually at the Garage Fest thingy? Cool!

But it says on page 57 of Mike Watt's diary that "If John and George went out on the road playing Beatles songs and calling themselves 'The Beatles', I would tell all those pissy-assed Paul McCartney fans to get over themselves."
[Edited by Stu Sutcliffe]
[Edited by FPM C10]
May 18th, 2005 03:00 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:
My C10 Brother ....................................

I just E-Mailed you a little " Thank You Note " for sending me the C10 MOVIE . OUTSTANDING !!!!!

Joey , C10

Glad you liked it, my C10 brother. It was 4 years in the making! I'm slowly getting them sent to all of our brothers, on both sides of the fence.

(SS: PLEASE send me Max's address ASAP or he'll think I don't love him!)

By the way, this might be a good time to announce that Joey and I will be going on tour as "The C10", which is certain to arouse the ire of the Steel Driving Hammer Contingent.

angry crowd member: "There's only TWO of them! I want most of my money back!"
May 18th, 2005 03:44 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

By the way, this might be a good time to announce that Joey and I will be going on tour as "The C10", which is certain to arouse the ire of the Steel Driving Hammer Contingent.

angry crowd member: "There's only TWO of them! I want most of my money back!"

Baby Steel Magnolia ?!?!?!

J. !!!!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour