ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Hi there
© Arici Graziano
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Angry Yoko Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 19th, 2005 05:56 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The album had sold well but not outstandingly until lennon was shot

Gazza ........................................

How did you find out the next morning about Lennon's murder ?

Howard Cosell broke the news over here in the states minutes after it happened ( a hospital staff member leaked the news to ABC ).

J.

May 19th, 2005 06:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The album had sold well but not outstandingly until lennon was shot

It was OK. Mediocre. Actually he didn't do that many post-Beatles albums...what 2-3? I think he might have evolved back into real Rock n Roll. 1980 was a long time ago...I hadn't even turned 30 in those days and now I'm an old man. Anyway it's just hard to put those things into a real context after you know the history.
May 19th, 2005 06:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:

Gazza ........................................

How did you find out the next morning about Lennon's murder ?

Howard Cosell broke the news over here in the states minutes after it happened ( a hospital staff member leaked the news to ABC ).

J.

I've seen that clip a few times. It's still pretty freaky.

Britain didnt have 24 hour television or radio in 1980 and even Breakfast Television didnt start until about 1983, so the first most people would have known about it would have been when the radio stations went on air which was usually around 5 am or so.

I remember getting up for school (I was 17) and was on my way down the stairs for my breakfast at 8 am when my mum came rushing into the hallway to tell me that they'd announced on the radio news that John Lennon had been shot dead.

Even 25 years on, there's very little about that day I don't remember in vivid detail.
May 19th, 2005 06:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

It was OK. Mediocre. Actually he didn't do that many post-Beatles albums...what 2-3? I think he might have evolved back into real Rock n Roll. 1980 was a long time ago...I hadn't even turned 30 in those days and now I'm an old man. Anyway it's just hard to put those things into a real context after you know the history.

He did a few up to 1975 and then quit for 5 years to bring up Sean while Yoko made him very rich! Of course, he issued his first solo work in 1968 before the Beatles split - the freaky avant garde shit with Yoko (Two Virgins and Life with the Lions) and then:

Live peace in Toronto (1969)
John lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970)
Imagine (1971)
Sometime in New York City (1972) (a double)
Mindgames (1973)
Walls and Bridges (1974)
Rock 'n' Roll (1975)

there was a great singles compilation called "Shaved Fish" from 1975 or so which included all the non-album singles from the early 70's like Power to the people, Instant Karma etc as well as the ones from his albums

I liked Rock n Roll a lot (which was all covers), but aside from that I never cared for much of what he did after 1971, although Mindgames and Walls & bridges have some great singles from them.

Thats why I find it a bit strange when people rave about his solo work as if his post-Beatles career was wonderful. he certainly hit a hot streak from 1969 to 1971 but the last few years of his life were a waste IMO
May 19th, 2005 10:25 PM
corgi37 100% agree.
May 19th, 2005 11:14 PM
glencar Didn't one of those albums contain a whole side of Yoko doing primal scream therapy or is that just another myth?
May 19th, 2005 11:33 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
glencar wrote:
Didn't one of those albums contain a whole side of Yoko doing primal scream therapy or is that just another myth?

Perhaps you mean the 'Live Jam' section (a bonus disc) of Sometime In NYC.

The A side contains two tracks, being "Don't Worry, Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking for Her Hand in the Snow)" the prominent. It's sixteen minutes long, and contains a lot of Yoko-howling.
May 19th, 2005 11:57 PM
glencar That's some bonus!
May 20th, 2005 01:03 AM
IanBillen
Well, I am surely no big Lennon fan. Nor have I ever really been so interested in his former bandmates for that matter but I do have a question concerening this post's remarks:

Why is everyone so angry? Because:

A. He was a prick...or
B. Because he was a prick yet everyone says he was Mr. Love
and Peace?

Brian Jones was a total fucking prick in every sense of the word yet nobody seems so angered by that at all.

Just a thought-

Ian

Ian
May 20th, 2005 02:31 AM
paragoensia You're right about Brian, He was a complete bastard! But hey, who cares? Lennon was probably an arse too But so is the prime-minister of holland and I ain't allowed to shoot him. Personally I think lennon said some sensible things. The man had a different vision on life.

'bout the bastard that shot him...................

an eye for an eye....
May 20th, 2005 02:43 AM
IanBillen [quote]paragoensia wrote:
You're right about Brian, He was a complete bastard! But hey, who cares? Lennon was probably an arse too But so is the prime-minister of holland and I ain't allowed to shoot him. Personally I think lennon said some sensible things. The man had a different vision on life.

'bout the bastard that shot him...................

an eye for an eye....

No. Certainly don't get me wrong here. The person who shot Lennon had absolutely no right to do that and I wouldn't wish anything like that on my worst enemy in the world right now(do I have any enemies currently?, hmmm?).

All I am saying is I don't know why alot of folks get so fired up about Lennon being a Prick.

Ian
May 20th, 2005 02:44 AM
Voodoo Scrounge As I have already stated, these people are more famous dead than alive.
Jagger Lips. I cant stand people like you who feel pity for Brian Jones. Yes I agree that his death was tragic and that he was too you to die. However, you cant justify it by saying "Ahh, the poor man, he had so much going on in his life". Who the fuck doesnt have a lot going on in their life?
It doesnt mean that we all turn to hardcore drugs and intoxicate ourselves to the point of plain insanity. He was a weak man made even weaker by drugs and I have no sympathy for him. Being as drugged up as he was all the time was inexcusable and I think its wrong that people put some of the blame on Mick and Keith. They have nothing to feel guilty about over Brian Jones. They were busy building the greatest band in the world when he decided to MURDER HIMSELF.
As for John Lennon. Well thats a slightly different matter. Although he was a real arsehole. His life was taken away from him by another and that is wrong. But as for the release of Chapman. Well I dont see why they dont let him out. Bit of plastic surgery, and identity change and a move to somewhere abroad.
Life moves on. Its just a shame that some people are content living in the shadow of those who have moved on further than us.
May 20th, 2005 04:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

A. He was a prick...or
B. Because he was a prick yet everyone says he was Mr. Love
and Peace?

B
May 21st, 2005 02:30 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
As I have already stated, these people are more famous dead than alive.
Jagger Lips. I cant stand people like you who feel pity for Brian Jones. Yes I agree that his death was tragic and that he was too you to die. However, you cant justify it by saying "Ahh, the poor man, he had so much going on in his life". Who the fuck doesnt have a lot going on in their life?
It doesnt mean that we all turn to hardcore drugs and intoxicate ourselves to the point of plain insanity. He was a weak man made even weaker by drugs and I have no sympathy for him. Being as drugged up as he was all the time was inexcusable and I think its wrong that people put some of the blame on Mick and Keith. They have nothing to feel guilty about over Brian Jones. They were busy building the greatest band in the world when he decided to MURDER HIMSELF.
As for John Lennon. Well thats a slightly different matter. Although he was a real arsehole. His life was taken away from him by another and that is wrong. But as for the release of Chapman. Well I dont see why they dont let him out. Bit of plastic surgery, and identity change and a move to somewhere abroad.
Life moves on. Its just a shame that some people are content living in the shadow of those who have moved on further than us.

Voodoo I am sorry that you have taken offence to what I said.
I do feel pity for Brian Jones, he couldn't control the drugs, there are people who can take it and there are people who clearly can't Brian fell into the clearly can't category. Drugs ruin peoples lives and the lives around the person who uses them. Mick Jagger said 'We do not propogate the use of drugs' and that's true the Stones never said yes go on kids try drugs etc etc, sorry going off on a tangent!
Brian Jones in my eyes was a poor tortured little soul, he did say he wouldn't see 30 and he was right. Somehow I don't think he wanted to have a long life.
I'm not blaming Mick and Keith for what Brian did to himself, Brian was extremely jealous of what Mick and Keith were doing, there was never going to be Mick, Keith and Brian. I never thought Brian was good for the Stones anyway. I just wish that Ronnie Wood was in on it from the start to be honest, mind you maybe It's Ony Rock and Roll, Dance Part One and Hey Negrita and the like would never have been made if that were the case.
I do still feel pity for Brian though Voodoo, forgive me?
John Lennon is a different matter entirely yes because his life was cut short not by anything he did.
I blame Yoko for John going all weird, never thought that John could be dominated over by anyone and quite clearly that did happen. He changed for the worst when he met Yoko, before her John was great, Yoko trapped him!
May 21st, 2005 03:10 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
I blame Yoko for John going all weird, never thought that John could be dominated over by anyone and quite clearly that did happen. He changed for the worst when he met Yoko, before her John was great, Yoko trapped him!

PLAYBOY: But what about the charge that John Lennon is under Yoko's spell, under her control?

LENNON: Well that's rubbish, you know. Nobody controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who controls me is me, and that's just barely possible.

PLAYBOY: Still, many people believe it.

LENNON: Listen, if somebody's gonna impress me, whether it be a Maharishi or a Yoko Ono, there comes a point when the emperor has no clothes. There comes a point when I will see. So for all you folks out there who think that I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes, well, that's an insult to me. Not that you think less of Yoko, because that's your problem. What I think of her is what counts! Because -- f** you, brother and sister -- you don't know what's happening. I'm not here for you. I'm here for me and her and the baby!
May 21st, 2005 04:29 PM
glencar Well, since the wool WAS pulled over his eyes, he couldn't SEE the wool!
May 21st, 2005 04:30 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

PLAYBOY: But what about the charge that John Lennon is under Yoko's spell, under her control?

LENNON: Well that's rubbish, you know. Nobody controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who controls me is me, and that's just barely possible.

PLAYBOY: Still, many people believe it.

LENNON: Listen, if somebody's gonna impress me, whether it be a Maharishi or a Yoko Ono, there comes a point when the emperor has no clothes. There comes a point when I will see. So for all you folks out there who think that I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes, well, that's an insult to me. Not that you think less of Yoko, because that's your problem. What I think of her is what counts! Because -- f** you, brother and sister -- you don't know what's happening. I'm not here for you. I'm here for me and her and the baby!

Well that's me told then isn't it?
Can't counter that, just out of respect for the dead.
May 21st, 2005 05:07 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, since the wool WAS pulled over his eyes, he couldn't SEE the wool!

LOL!

JaggerLips, I didn't mean to use John's words as a direct response to you. I'm sorry if you thought otherwise.
May 21st, 2005 05:15 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

LOL!

JaggerLips, I didn't mean to use John's words as a direct response to you. I'm sorry if you thought otherwise.

LOL

Ok still think that a lot of what John was was sapped away by Yoko!
Think Ringo and George were the only sane ones after the Beatles split up!

May 21st, 2005 08:32 PM
KeithRichardsWife awww
May 22nd, 2005 09:11 AM
corgi37 I actually like Yoko.

She fucked up the Beatles!

Or, at least, helped.

With Lennon, i go for option "B" too.

With Brian, he just lost the plot. Too weak to take the pressure. He was a shocking bastard too with the ladies and illigitimate kids, but those were the times i guess.

Spanish Tony's book makes him out like a saint, and make Keith & Mick like total heartless bastards. Which, they may very well have been, but come on, the guy wasnt a baby.

And they never forgave him from getting more money than they did in the beginning.
May 22nd, 2005 06:20 PM
glencar It's amazing the things some people get stuck on.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour