ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

London, January 1967 Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Possible free concert in Toronto late July Return to archive Page: 1 2
05-17-03 09:23 AM
Lazy Bones Saturday, May 17, 2003

Critics lob stones at free show
Taxpayer-funded idea slammed
By MARIA McCLINTOCK -- Sun Media

OTTAWA -- Toronto-area MPs say spending $10 million to fund a Rolling Stones concert is a good investment -- a move that critics say is a waste of taxpayers' money.

The federal government is in the process of deciding how it can foot the bill to bring in the legends of rock 'n' roll for a concert to show the world that Toronto has survived the SARS crisis and is safe.

"I think a guy like Mick Jagger would be a great person to get that message out," Mississauga Liberal MP Steve Mahoney said yesterday.

"If you invest a dollar of government money and get $10 back in return in publicity and promotion, and help the city of Toronto's economy, then I personally think that's a good investment," Mahoney said.

GUARANTEED

The free concert is the brainchild of Toronto-Danforth Liberal MP Dennis Mills, who has already secured a guarantee that the Stones will do the concert, but have demanded that the $10-million price-tag to stage the event would be guaranteed.

Etobicoke Liberal MP Jean Augustine hopes the Stones concert will help shine some positive light on Toronto internationally.

"I think it's a great idea -- anything that would cause some excitement in Toronto, and have people talk about Toronto in a positive way, is to be commended," she said.

But Canadian Alliance MP John Williams was shocked the feds are even considering spending $10 million on a rock concert.

"That's the Liberal way. They like to do everything at the taxpayers' expense," Williams said.

"A little bit of capitalism would be great where you could charge $20 ... let's make it a real enterprise -- there's a challenge for a Liberal."

Walter Robinson, president of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said corporations should sponsor the event -- not taxpayers.

"The concert is basically waiting for a friend. The people who believe that the taxpayer have a role to play in this -- they need an emotional rescue. That kind of suggestion starts me up, I will not get any satisfaction from it, and taxpayers cannot bear that beast of burden," Robinson said.

A senior government source said that should the government pick up the $10-million tab, the cash could easily be recovered through taxes like the GST.
05-17-03 02:32 PM
Martha Rocks Off summit..here we come!!!!!!!
05-17-03 02:54 PM
Miss U. Let's hope some major corps/beer companies chip in for the bill by Tuesday!
05-17-03 03:00 PM
LadyJane Brenda is that the latest? I take it from Lazy Bones' earlier post that the government is balking at the pricetag.

We will know by Tuesday?

LadyJ.
05-17-03 03:07 PM
Miss U. Yes, we will know for sure by Tuesday, that's the deadline to come up with the money.

Some Feds in Gov't are for the idea. Mel Lastman, the mayor of Toronto, is completely for the idea!

I wonder who we should be pitching to...any ideas who to contact to voice our support?
05-17-03 04:13 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
I wonder who we should be pitching to...any ideas who to contact to voice our support?

See Tom's post.

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/153576-1.html
05-19-03 11:14 AM
JaggaRichards It'll never happen........
05-19-03 09:34 PM
Lazy Bones Monday, May 19, 2003

Deadline looms for T.O. Stones gig
By FRANCES PETRUCCELLI -- Toronto Sun

A proposed $10-million Rolling Stones concert to help boost Toronto out of its SARS-related doldrums is getting mixed reviews from city councillors and residents.

The free outdoor concert at Downsview Centre, proposed by Toronto-Danforth Liberal MP Dennis Mills last week, has been strongly criticized by the Canadian Alliance and by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. Both said public funds should not be used to bankroll the event.

The Stones have reportedly given Toronto until tomorrow to book the gig.

Toronto councillor and Tory supporter Doug Holyday said he thinks the concert would be a great way to showcase Toronto, but that an admission fee should be charged to recoup the money.

Councillor Joe Mihevc, an NDP supporter, said he would rather see the $10 million spread out to promote many other summer events that bring tourists to Toronto -- such as Caribana, Pride Week and the CNE -- rather than a "one-time bang" rock concert.

A survey of people at Front and Church Sts. yesterday found the majority favoured spending the money on other causes.
05-20-03 12:47 PM
Martha a "one-time bang" rock concert.

Oh......one-time bang me Ronnie!
ROTFLMAO!

Now...get the money!!!

Let's ROCK!
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003