ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

London, January 1967 Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Possible free concert in Toronto late July Return to archive Page: 1 2
05-15-03 06:38 AM
Stonesdoug Shadow of SARS lifted from Canada

By GAYLE MacDONALD and OLIVER MOORE
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

E-mail this Article
Print this Article

Related Stories
Common cold drug could help SARS
WHO fears SARS spreads in new ways
U.S. SARS fears hurting Stratford, Shaw

The World Health Organizaton took Toronto off its list yesterday of places affected by SARS, and efforts to revive the city's hospitality industry received a second boost when the Rolling Stones tentatively agreed to interrupt a European tour to headline a free concert this summer.

An outdoor Rolling Stones concert, with potentially hundreds of thousands of fans, would be the anchor event of a major push to fill hotels, restaurants, theatres and other spots around Toronto � and erase the SARS stigma that has cut summer bookings for many tourism and concert venues by up to 50 per cent.

Prime Minister Jean Chr�tien announced in the House of Commons that the WHO had removed Toronto from its list of places where severe acute respiratory syndrome is spreading.

Yesterday's decision was made after a teleconference between the WHO and Toronto and Health Canada officials.

The Geneva-based organization said the most important consideration when it removed Toronto from the list was whether 20 days had passed since the last locally acquired case was isolated, suggesting the chain of transmission is broken. The last locally acquired case in Canada was isolated on April 20.

Three weeks ago, the WHO lifted an advisory warning travellers to postpone unnecessary travel to Toronto because of SARS. Yesterday's decision represents removal of the final official sanction against travel to Toronto.

Donald Low, chief microbiologist at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, said everyone concerned thought that by yesterday the decision was overdue, but officials in Geneva wanted to be certain.

Dr. Low predicted the move would prompt a jump in travel by people who had been worried about conflicting reports of the risk level in Toronto.

"I think this removal . . . is really going to have a tremendous effect internationally on the how people view Toronto. People like physicians, people you would think would know better, were concerned about coming to Toronto. It's really quite remarkable how people saw us," Dr. Low said.

Although Toronto officially is off the WHO list, the stigma from the publicity surrounding the SARS outbreak in the city will be more difficult to shake.

Public officials and the private sector are working to organize "The Homecoming" � bargain fares, accommodation and high-profile celebrities and events to encourage visitors and former Toronto residents to come to the city.

A broad-based group known as the Toronto Tourism Recovery Coalition is working to roll out aggressive publicity and promotion campaigns to lure travellers to Southern Ontario, said Terry Mundell, president of the Ontario Hotel, Restaurant and Motel Association.

"There is an enormous amount of effort, and it is an enormous task that is being undertaken," Mr. Mundell said.

The SARS-induced economic malaise in the city has been blamed for a range of problems, from a rise in unemployment to a drop in air traffic that forced financially troubled Air Canada to slash its summer flights.

In recent weeks, countless big entertainment acts, such as those of Elton John, Billy Joel, Hall & Oates and the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson, have been no-shows in Toronto.

But yesterday, the Rolling Stones tentatively agreed to headline a free concert in Toronto � likely late in July � at the massive Downsview Air Base.

This week, Dennis Mills, MP for Toronto-Danforth, and Senator Jerry Grafstein called The Stones' promoter Michael Cohl, a Torontonian, to ask whether the band would make an appearance.

"The government has asked if the Rolling Stones would be interested in coming to help support this cause," Mr. Cohl confirmed yesterday. "And the answer I gave them back is 'yes.' They're interested. Really, it's now in the hands of the government."

Various levels of government would have to come up with $10-million to $11-million to stage an event on this scale. Mr. Mills said he hopes the Rolling Stones on the marquee would attract high-voltage Canadian acts, such as Avril Lavigne, Diana Krall and Bryan Adams.

Mr. Mills said he is aiming for Toronto to host the event on July 29 or 30.

Mr. Cohl said the Stones, who begin a European tour on June 4, expressed immediate interest in helping one of their favourite cities.

"The Stones rehearsed here for the last three tours, so they have a real affinity for the town. They're very comfortable here. People don't pester them. And they show them respect. Plus, the band loves the lively, great nightlife."

Still, Mr. Cohl warned that a concert � due to logistics and cost � is not a slam-dunk. "I've had interest from the province and from Mr. Mills, who all wanted to do a show to help revive things here. The Rolling Stones are definitely interested, but a whole bunch of details have to be worked out. One is obviously the money to put on a show like that. And there's many others. Is it definite? Nothing is definite. There's no formal proposal that's come forth from any level of the government."

Mr. Mills said he is confident the political powers would come through in the crunch � and said he expects that up to 800,000 people could attend the show, roughly the same number who teemed into Downsview for World Youth Day.

More than $150-million of public money has been set aside by Ottawa, Queen's Park and Toronto City Hall to kick-start Toronto's devastated tourism industry. An unknown amount on top of that has been earmarked by private companies.

Ontario Health Minister Tony Clement said Toronto had "taken on SARS, and we have won the fight against SARS. "We had a black mark that was right beside Toronto's name. The black mark has now been removed."

Mr. Clement said the Ontario government can consider lifting the state of emergency imposed on March 26, which gave public-health officials increased powers to deal with the SARS outbreak.

Only 10 people remain in hospital as probable cases, said Colin D'Cunha, Ontario's commissioner for public health. But the outbreak has caused an increased awareness of the need for disease control, he added.

05-15-03 06:40 AM
Zeeta Logistically this would not make sense, plus the boys would be jet lagged on returning to Europe!

Not bad if you're in Toronto though!

Thanks Doug,

Matty
[Edited by Zeeta]
[Edited by Zeeta]
05-15-03 07:52 AM
LadyJane YES!! I'm there!! Toronto is a 2 hour drive from Buffalo. If this does take place we need to have an RO gathering!!

Exciting news!!!

LadyJ.
05-15-03 09:01 AM
telecaster
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Logistically this would not make sense, plus the boys would be jet lagged on returning to Europe!

Not bad if your in Toronto though!

Thanks Doug,

Matty
[Edited by Zeeta]

ASS Gathering? Zeeta I doubt the boys get jet lag anymore
at this stage
05-15-03 09:16 AM
steel driving hammer Well the juice a keep a pumping I KNOW WHY!
05-15-03 09:40 AM
Lazy Bones

Stones eye free show in T.O.

By JAM! Music

The Rolling Stones may be coming to the
rescue of Toronto to help it get by the
repercussions of SARS.

The legendary rock band have come to an
agreement in principle to headline a free show
at the end of July at the sprawling grounds of
the former Downsview air base in the north end
of the city, the Globe and Mail reports.

The group would interrupt its European tour to
provide assistance to the Canadian city.

"The government has asked if the Rolling
Stones would be interested in coming to help
support this cause," the band's promoter
Michael Cohl told The Globe and Mail.

"And the answer I gave them back is 'yes.'
They're interested. Really, it's now in the hands
of the government."

Reports indicate the various levels of
government would have to come up with the
estimated price tag of $11 million to hold such
an event, which is being planned for either July
29 or 30.

The Stones have rehearsed for their last few
tours in Toronto, a city that they especially are
fond of.

"It's a very time-honoured tradition to rehearse
(in Toronto) 'cause it's such a great place and
everyone treats us really well," Mick Jagger told
the Toronto Sun last July.

To date, the SARS outbreak has killed 24
people in the Toronto area, and has led to a
huge drop in the city's tourism industry.

Elton John, Kelly Clarkson, Lisa Marie Presley,
Styx, and a host of others have recently
cancelled shows in Toronto due to the SARS
scare.

Toronto was dropped from a list of SARS hot
zones by the WHO on Wednesday.
05-15-03 10:15 AM
Zeeta
quote:
telecaster wrote:

ASS Gathering? Zeeta I doubt the boys get jet lag anymore
at this stage

Yeah granted - I am just hoping it won't affect performances post 29th 30th July. Which hopefully it wil not, as they have a couple of days off after Czech Republic to get to Toronto and do the gig.

800,000 people attending!!!!!!!! WOW!

STONES!
05-15-03 10:18 AM
Nellcote In a unrecognized manner, when countless other bands get showered with scads of recognition, The Stones, timeless wonders that they are, never fail to assist when chips are down. Yeah, Live Aid was great, but there's always the question of how much $$ goes to the item. This gives a great city a big shot in the arm. Let's see the dour Canadian Peter Jennings ABC Nightly News anchor here in the States give this event it's due when it happens,as much as he and other anchors crippled the city when the World Health ban was unwisely announced, showing the world that this group is THE item of rock, bar none. It further goes to show the bands unrivaled love for Toronto, dating back to the mid 70's. Now, if they can have all Canadian acts as part of the bill, keep that loser Macca away, it will be great!
05-15-03 11:46 AM
jb I hate Peter Jennings...
[Edited by jb]
05-15-03 11:56 AM
Lazy Bones Considering the amount of money that the city of Toronto and the province of Ontario has and will spend in marketing Toronto back on to the world tourism map, $11M is worth every tax dollar!
With a provincial election looming, just fuckin' do it, Ernie!

Including many Cdn acts would be great. If those dates are accurate, Neil would be a no-go. He's in Denver both dates. I'm sure he could re-schedule..right, Jaxx?!

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
05-15-03 03:30 PM
Martha Dear Gawd!!! Toronto..here I COME!!!!!!!!!!!
05-15-03 03:48 PM
jb Can any of our Canadian posters arrange tickets for us?
05-15-03 03:51 PM
Moonisup what will be the date for it??????????
05-15-03 04:05 PM
jb Will it coincide with the release of the new album Rik?
05-15-03 04:18 PM
telecaster jb if you plan on going let me know, deal me in

We can stay at the Harbor Castle hotel where Keith
was "sequestered" during his Toronto drug trial

Good way to introduce your new friend to The Stones
05-15-03 04:18 PM
Moonisup the date bothers me,

if it's the end of july it won't be possible,

the have to cancel Prague then, and that's such a big concert that it will be TO big to re-schedule and no room in the tour schedule for that! so the rumour looks a bit far away for me,

only if I knew DATES DATES DATES
05-15-03 05:45 PM
Martha Moonisup it states in both posted articles that it would take place July 29th or 30th.
05-15-03 05:55 PM
Ruskafarian
quote:
jb wrote:
Can any of our Canadian posters arrange tickets for us?

Not sure if you'd need tickets to a free show. Having said that, if there will be some kind
of ticket policy in effect, I would be more than happy to help anyone out.

I've been a member of this board for quite some time now, and I've found it very very useful for knowledge about The Stones.
(sometimes a little too much opinion-sharing which results in fighting goes on here, but that's okay - all you need is love...!)

Anyway, I've gotten a lot from this board, and I'd be willing to do whatever I can in return.

05-15-03 05:58 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Martha wrote:
Moonisup it states in both posted articles that it would take place July 29th or 30th.

thANKS martha

so they won't have to re-schedule PRague

rik
05-15-03 08:20 PM
nankerphelge This is such awesome news. I was prepared for 2004, but this is just way too cool.

If it happens, we need a massive RO presence -- summer Stones show!! Don't get no better!

05-15-03 09:19 PM
Miss U. Who's a comin'?!!
Party at my place!!!!!!!!!!!

v lord i miss you child, i miss U baby... been singing after dark been waitin in the halls hangin on your call & the phone rings.. just some stones a mine, gonna party down, like we USED TO!!!
05-15-03 09:27 PM
LadyJane Brenda....you have e-mail waiting.

LadyJ.
05-15-03 09:28 PM
Miss U. OK...
05-15-03 10:08 PM
Lazy Bones I just received word that on tonight's news (not sure which station..probably Toronto as opposed to "my" local) that the Feds (Jean Chretien) will grant $10M (I wonder if they had to pay a $95 membership fee?).

However..29 or 30 July..Tuesday or Wednesday. What the hell!? I'm not trying to be picky, but if you want people to come, why not on the weekend? And a summer weekend, at that. Why not Canada Day (1 July). They're off 28 June - 4 July? Again, not picky..just rambling.
05-15-03 10:40 PM
parmeda I can see a change of vacation planning in the works...

My husband is going to have a seizure...

Quick! Is there a pill for that?
05-15-03 10:42 PM
Mer_Jagger This is fantastic news and I'll be there!!
05-15-03 11:20 PM
Lazy Bones Ok, here's the latest. Just finished watching the 11:00pm news. 3 stations - City Pulse, Global and CTV News all report that Tuesday is the deadline for govt(s) to commit to $10M for the 29/30 July show.
05-16-03 07:00 AM
nankerphelge It's all coming together quite nicely!
-----------------------------------------
Ottawa � Smoking pot while driving would not be a crime and penalties for minors would be lower than for adults, according to draft legislation decriminalizing the possession of marijuana.

The Cannabis Reform Bill was to have been introduced to Parliament this week, but sources report that Prime Minister Jean Chr�tien ordered it delayed until the end of May to give caucus members more time to consider it, and to let Justice Minister Martin Cauchon fine-tune its provisions. Details of those provisions have been obtained by The Globe and Mail.

As currently envisioned, the act would make possession of less than 15 grams of marijuana (the equivalent of about 20 joints) a non-criminal offence punishable by a fine of $150 for adults. Minors, however, would be charged only $100, although police would notify their parents of the offence.

05-16-03 07:15 AM
Scot Rocks Lol Nank,

800,000 at a free Stones concert now that would be something!!!!!!I wish I could be there...

Mark
05-16-03 03:21 PM
Miss U. Lady Jane, my new email addy is

[email protected]
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003