ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

London, January 1967 Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's not as if it won't sell... Return to archive
05-14-03 10:02 PM
Number two I ask this on here every few months, but why don't The Stones give us their complete BBC sessions? Why must we see the release of countless redundant compilations, remasters that don't add any bonus tracks, and live material from the past decade when there must be a treasure trove of BBC sessions, outtakes, and live material from the first decade of their existence? How many of us would jump at the chance to buy a deluxe version of Get Yer ya yas out? It must be in the hundreds of thousands. But most importantly, why have we not seen a complete BBC release? Is there someone who we can contact to inquire after such things? Zep is about to give us over eight hours of live material, Dylan is on his fifth archive release, Jimi's on his seventh or eighth, are The Stones not worthy of such things?
05-15-03 12:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot Believe it or not, some stupid ass at the BBC destroyed a large amount of the Stones early BBC material. This comes from the Stones camp itself. They claim that they would love to release a BBC compilation...but there is not enough quality material in the BBC vaults to warrant a release.

Is this true, or is it just a story to build hype...I don't know. But this is my understanding of the situation. Sorry, I can't quote specific sources...I just don't remember where I read it.
05-15-03 02:13 AM
Number two So is the stuff on bootleg (beat beat beat at the beeb) the stuff that was destroyed or is that what's left? Have the Stones every talked about a live archive release?
05-15-03 10:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man All the BBC sessions are on "Beat Beat At The Beeb" I suppose that includes the lost material. There used to be a page in the setlists section of the board which listed every BBC session. Its not there now. Everything listed there is on the cd.

Alex
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
05-16-03 05:58 PM
stewed & Keefed About three years ago(I think)I read in the Record Collector that the BBC had found some long lost stones tracks,and would be releasing them in October that year,but since then nothing has been mentioned.
05-18-03 12:37 AM
Sir Stonesalot The stuff on Beat Beat Beat @ The Beeb is NOT release quality. That stuff was NOT made from BBC master reels.

Play the Beatles BBC set and compare it with BBB@TB. Not even close.

What is actually available is fine for a bootleg release, but the Stones won't release anything in that kind of quality.
05-18-03 04:59 AM
Number two Of course not, I have a hard time listening to BBB@B myself. I e-mailed someone at the BBC, we'll see if I get a reply. It's just damn hard for me to believe that the BBC would have kept other less important bands and erased The Stones. Also, usually bands did radio shows in other countries too, I wonder if there is enough stuff scattered about for a release? On a similar note- is GLIYWI the only releasable material pre-Ya Yas? Any chance of more early live stuff surfacing.
05-18-03 08:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man There is the Decca GLIYWI EP. Its a lot better than the album version. It includes a live version of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" which has yet to be released on cd.

It pre dates the album too. It was released 1n 1965 and the material is taken from one of their UK tours.

Two songs from the EP can be found on the "Decembers Children" cd. "Routee 66" and "Im Moving On" Also, "Its Alright" is on the US "Out Of Our Heads"

I would say its well worth tracking down the original EP

Alex

05-18-03 11:53 AM
Sir Stonesalot The other thing to consider in this question...ABKCO.

I don't really think the Stones are all that hot to release something where someone ELSE gets all the money. Klein got SOME of the money for 40 Licks, with a BBC release he and the BBC would get MOST of it. Not a very appealing prospect for the Stones.

I am sure that the BBC holds some Stones material in it's vaults. I wouldn't hold your breath on hearing any of it anytime soon though.

Besides...I'd rather have a new album instead.
05-18-03 01:34 PM
Number two I've never understood why it has to be "new album" OR "archive release," if the choice had to be made I would definitely rather have something from their peak (with all the assumptions that such a term carries with it). Yes, I realize Abkco is the major problem/obstacle. I personally think they did a shitty job with the re-releases, but I expected nothing less. However, Abkco has nothing to do with their early 70s stuff and we haven't exactly seen much from this period either so I think it's The Stones themselves who don't care to release any archive material, which is a shame. So if there was a live EP with material from 65, one would assume that more tapes exist (unless it's a Five Live Yardbirds situation).
05-18-03 03:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot To each his own...I'd rather have something that I haven't already heard in one form or another. Seroiusly, would you rather have a cleaned up BBB@TB, or 12-15 new Stones songs.

That's a pretty easy choice to make, IMO.

And I never said it HAD to be an either or situation. I guarantee you though, if a new album and a BBC compilation came out at the same time, and I only had the cash for one...I'd take home the new album every time. "Peak" or no peak.
05-18-03 06:13 PM
Number two We shouldn't get into the "new music from old bands" debate here, but in answer to your question...I'd rather have every second of material from 63-72 before anything recorded recently. But on with the topic, Live EP= more live tapes than what has come out right?
05-18-03 06:16 PM
Gazza most of what was recently reported to have been lost was actually "Top of the Pops" recordings. Its not actually a new development and was only rehashing old news because its common knowledge that several years ago (ie around the 70's) the BBC wiped a lot of old archives for storage space purposes. There are only about four or five of the Stones' appearances on that show still in existence - which is why when theres a Stones special on the BBC they show the same old stuff over and over again. Both of their final TOTP recordings in April 1971 were wiped - in fact,the only reason why they still occasionally show that great clip of "Brown sugar" is because the version they have on tape comes from their Christmas 1971 special (its a re-broadcast of the 15.4.71 performance)

Over 40 "lost" radio sessions were found five years ago. Those are the recordings which will probably be eventually used for release on a BBC sessions album. I would imagine the bulk of it is the same as what we have already, but maybe not in some cases (a lot of whats in circulation in high quality actually comes from 1980's rebroadcasts so it shows that by that stage they HAD got their act together and saw some value in these old radio sessions. A lot of my own collection of BBC sessions comes not from bootleg LPs or CD's but from actually recording these rebroadcasts myself from BBC Radio 1 in 1982 and 1985). As stuff like the Camden Theatre 1964 live broadcast was rebroadcast in full in 1985,I'd like to think that the material "discovered" in 1997-98 was different to the songs rebroadcast previously in the '80's. Otherwise,the material would hardly be "lost" as by the 1980's the BBC had discovered the archive value of this classic material.

The main reason for this material not having been released is almost certainly contractual. Bands like Led Zeppelin and The Beatles never had the same legal and contractual battles between their record labels over their material that the Stones have had. There was talk of it coming out in 2001 but it didnt happen. Since then, ABCKO and Virgin-EMI have managed to work together to put out "40 Licks" so one would think a lot of the problems has been ironed out and the success of that album would help matters. There will be a release for this product I think, but its something to be worked on during downtime by the band. Personally,I think we'll see it released before the Stones release a new studio album.
05-18-03 06:25 PM
Prodigal Son Indeed, they need to get as much together to make an official album. Although, thanx to the previously posting Honky Tonk Man, I have a plethora of songs from that 1963 demo era. Pretty jumping, raw R&B that shows the Stones ready to improve.
"I wants to be loved."
05-19-03 12:28 AM
Number two Thanks Gazza, That sounds great, except for the wipe out of '71 material, I hope whoever did that was drawn and quartered. What did they wipe it out to make room for, The Bay City Rollers? I really hope the necessary politiking can be done to get a complete radio release out soon.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003