ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

London, January 1967 Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: '63 header Return to archive
05-14-03 10:17 AM
stonedinaustralia beautiful... a tear to the eye...a work of art and a piece of history

BOTOH (but on the other hand) you can see the signs of things to come and days gone by... a tragedy on both ends of the stick...but k will prevail!!

i got nasty habits

nic ehow the neck of b's guitar segues (sp?) into th e body of k's...

STONES!!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
05-14-03 11:57 AM
steel driving hammer Agree, what a deep thought tear jerker of a photo that is.

I wonder how Brian guitar style would sound today.

I'm reading a book on the 75 Tour (just a collection of news paper clippings when the Stones were in town) and Keith says "Ronnie is what I wanted Brian to be."
05-14-03 02:51 PM
Miss U. Well, I guess it's not up to Keith how Brian would be, is it.
Interesting though, that Keith took on abit of Brian's image after his death.

Very nice photo!! Innocence lost....
05-14-03 02:55 PM
steel driving hammer Baby it's nothing rude it's just what Keith said.

Brian left of his own just when he was getting good I think.

His slide on No Expectations is prolly one of the best slides ever recorded.

It puzzles me the Stones say his guitar playing was getting worse and he never showed up for sessions etc...

When in fact, it sounded better.

How many SARS masks do you have now? LOL! Just kidding.
05-14-03 05:23 PM
FPM C10 This is a GREAT photo, one I've NEVER seen before. Cool thing is, Brian's playing a Gretsch White Falcon - BEAUTIFUL guitar, they go for THOUSANDS - and Keith has a Harmony Rocket. My buddy Dave got one of those for $35.

By the way, Dave's $35 Rocket is the greatest guitar for slide I've ever seen. It SOUNDS like a rocket!
05-14-03 07:20 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Cool thing is, Brian's playing a Gretsch White Falcon - BEAUTIFUL guitar, they go for THOUSANDS

That IS a great guitar. First time I really ever took notice of one was when I saw pictures of Neil Young and Steve Stills playing them in 1974, and I said to myself, "Those are kinda nice... and they probably cost an arm, two legs, and a penis." I long to play one of them, too... and it makes me slightly upset that Brian is playing one in that pic, considering his relatively impoverished state around that time period (still the Edith Grove days, I presume?)! Oh, well. Tell me more about this Rocket, FPM. Where can I find one?
05-15-03 12:42 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:

That IS a great guitar. First time I really ever took notice of one was when I saw pictures of Neil Young and Steve Stills playing them in 1974, and I said to myself, "Those are kinda nice... and they probably cost an arm, two legs, and a penis." I long to play one of them, too... and it makes me slightly upset that Brian is playing one in that pic, considering his relatively impoverished state around that time period (still the Edith Grove days, I presume?)!

I've often wondered how he afforded it, too..because every other piece of equipment the band back had then were el cheapos - Bill played a Framus, and Keith the Harmony - both extremely cool NOW mainly because Bill & Keith played them, but they were low-end instruments back then. Probably less than $100 apiece, in fact - I bet Keith paid more for his jacket than his guitar in the header pic.

As for the White Falcon - I SAW Neil and Steve playing theirs with CSNY in '74, in Atlantic City during a monsoon. What was exciting about THAT was it was a reference to them playing Gretsches in Buffalo Springfield - everybody played them in that band, which adds to their mythic quality. And the one Brian is playing in the photo: I believe that our very own beloved Cardinal Fang actually saw that one, nay, TOUCHED that one, in the Las Vegas Hard Rock Cafe.

>Oh, well. Tell me more about this Rocket, FPM. Where can I find one?

There are SEVEN of them on eBay right NOW, some starting at $50. The coolest one is an AIRLINE (ie Montgomery Wards, built by Harmony) Rocket with a six-in-a-row tuning peg configuration. SWEET. Just type in "Harmony Rocket" and you'll find 'em.

Dave got his at a yard sale.

Pawn shops are a good place to check too.
05-15-03 12:45 AM
FPM C10 Whereas the Gretsch White Falcon REISSUES on eBay are starting at $2,500.00...
05-15-03 03:17 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:

Tell me more about this Rocket, FPM.

Here's another Dave with another Harmony - this one a Meteor....

http://www.davedavies.com/kink02.htm
05-15-03 04:45 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I've often wondered how he afforded it, too..because every other piece of equipment the band back had then were el cheapos

Hey Bro !!

First off, I hope you are well !! I will email you soon I promise. I just emailed Marc so "there you go". : - )

I think the black and white photo fooled you ! That photo (THANK'S Gerardo !! I too have never seen that Great Photo !!) The guitar in that photo (and the guitar you see Brian playing in that early "backstage" Charlie is my Darling footage IS NOT a Gretsch White Falcon. (NOT a White Falcon) The give away is the head stock. (If it was a White Falcon it would have had the "arrow" truss rod cover instead of the "standard" one. Being "Mr. Gretsch", you know I know.

Brian is playing the Double Anniversary model 6118 (two tone Green) do you see in the photo the extra input jack next to selector switch ? That would mean it's an optional stereo model which would date the guitar between 1961 - 1963.

Getting back to your, "how could he afforded it" question, believe it or not even though the guitar was brand new in 1961-1963, the 6118 Double Anniversary was actually a REISSUE of the late 1950's Gretsch Streamliner 6189. Because the Double Anniversary was a "reissue" it has NEVER been worth that much. Even today you can pick up an original early 60's 6118 for "around" $1200. Brand new back then they retailed for about $200. Brian could've probably picked one up used for (?) $100. THAT'S how Brian was able to afford one. Brian was VERY wise to do so IMO.

Do you still have that "Blue Book Of Guitars" that I sent you for your birthday Jonny ? Study the Gretsch 6118.

By the way, the ORIGINAL guitar model that Brian's 6118 Anniversary model was reissued from, it's called the Gretsch Sreamliner 6189. The only difference is that Brian's anniversary 6118 was "two tone Green" and the Gretsch Streamliner 6189 is "Bamboo Yellow & Copper Mist.

If you want to see one of those ORIGINAL late 50's Gretsch Streamliner 6189's, one of the GREATEST guitars IMO that Gretsch EVER made, check out THE guitar "that guy" to your left is playing........

<-------------- 1958 Gretsch Streamliner 6189 (s/n 27125)

I no longer take that guitar on the road with me. Too afraid of losing my baby "Marilyn".

Late breaking news for FPM, have you heard the latest "buzz" yet ? I am co-writing a movie script with somebody here at Rocks Off that you know very well and it will be made for ArtPig later this year/early next year. You heard it here "second" !

One last thing, help me out here, I forget who "Child Of The Moon" is ? I remember it's one of the cool teenage "kids" but I can't remember, is it Stevie or is it Ben ? I've got some Gibson L-1 guitar info for Ben that he asked me about a while back and I've been meaning to get back to him. (Hey, I'm fucking busy dude !!)

Now I Gotta Jet.

Later, Cardinal Fang

"One of my favorite guitars of all time - The 1957-1958 Gretsch Streamliner 6189"

05-15-03 04:53 AM
Child of the Moon Hey, CF! Yeah, this is Stevie. Thanks for calling me "cool." Coming from cats like you and FPM, it means a lot!

Thanks for the information, FPM, and the additional info, Fang. (I thought that headstock was missing something... namely, a white falcon!) It'd be cool if I had money so I could buy any of these guitars... but for now, I'll just have to ogle them. :-) I do that rather well, the ogling... and not just with guitars, y'know.
05-15-03 10:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is the kind of thread I like to see whit this kind of headers

Chris Ware 1963
05-15-03 11:10 AM
steel driving hammer Nothing beats a Tele...

Flick of the wrist, twist of the mind...

05-15-03 12:55 PM
Child of the Moon Steelie, with that very picture, you just made my day! (And that's saying a lot, considering I have a history final in two hours... pray for Steve...)
05-15-03 02:31 PM
FPM C10 Oh, man, I loooooove threads like this too, Voodoo. I've never been interested in cars, but I totally understand the satisfaction you can get going into minutiae about what model had curb feelers and fender skirts .

I was hoping we would flush Cardinal Fang out of the woodwork, because he is DA MAN when it comes to this stuff. Glad he cleared up the Gretsch questions. I SHOULDA just gone and looked this stuff up in the Blue Book he gave me, but I'm generally pretty lazy about going to the reference library. I prefer to rely on the top of my head and the seat of my pants.

I coulda been wrong about the Rocket too - it coulda been a Meteor or some other celestial body - but cool cheapo guitars RULE. My Tesco Del Rey knockoff of a Vox coffin body is one of my most prized possessions. (Got it for $35 or $40 at a music store where it was advertised as a "Jetson guitar".)I'd love to get an Airline like Jack White plays - especially the 12-string model.

Cardinal Fang, will you get my electric sitar running when you come East? Pretty please?

05-15-03 04:50 PM
steel driving hammer All the wine I want to drink it, all the Heineken too...

I think it's such a strange thing, giving me concern...

[Edited by steel driving hammer]
05-15-03 09:29 PM
Miss U. I hear ya, Steelie!
05-19-03 01:18 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Cardinal Fang, will you get my electric sitar running when you come East? Pretty please?

Yes. (Of course !!) You buy "the supplies" and I'll GIVE you my labor and knowledge for FREE !!!

Your younger brother, J. "f'n" W.

Now I Gotta Jet.
05-19-03 12:00 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:

Now I Gotta Jet.

Jet! I Can Almost Remember Their Funny Faces
That Time You Told Me That
You Were Going To Be Marrying Soon.
And Jet, I Thought The Only
Lonely Place Was On The Moon.
Jet! Jet!

Jet! Was Your Father As Bold As A Sergeant Major?
How Come He Told You That
You Were Hardly Old Enough Yet?
And Jet, I Thought The Major
Was A Lady Suffragette.
Jet! Jet!

Ah, Matter, Want Jet To Always Love Me?
Ah, Matter, Want Jet To Always Love Me?
Ah, Matter, Much Later.

Jet! With The Wind In Your Hair Of A Thousand Laces.
Climb On The Back And We'll
Go For A Ride In The Sky.
And Jet, I Thought The Major
Was A Lady Suffragette.
Jet! Jet!

Later!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003