ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Three years of "Banquete de Pordioseros The message board in Spanish
Photo is Cucho Peņaloza by Javier Zapata
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Freddie Return to archive
20th May 2006 12:58 PM
kath British pop star Freddie Garrity, former lead singer with 1960s band Freddie and the Dreamers, has died at the age of 69.

Garrity died on Friday in hospital in North Wales, his agent said on Saturday.

His five-piece band had hits in Britain and the United States with "I'm Telling You Now," "You Were Made For Me" and "I'm Telling You Now".

Garrity, who lived in Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire, was on holiday with his wife Christine when he was taken to hospital.

He had been suffering from emphysema for several years and had been unable to work since 2001.

Friends paid tribute to his memory. A family friend, Eric St John-Foti, told the BBC: "He was so full of life, and full of jokes. He was exactly the same as he was on stage, he did not have two personas.

"It is a sad loss, Freddie was part of the 1960s and drew comparisons with the Beatles."

Born in Manchester, Freddie -- a former milkman -- came to prominence at the start of the British music revolution in the early 1960s and his success mirrored that of his Liverpool rivals.

But he became famous not just for his music but for his humorous approach to rock 'n' roll. His wild antics on stage and television endeared him to millions around the world.

Freddie's first single, a cover of the James Ray U.S. chart hit "If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody," gave him his first Top 10 success in the UK.

It was followed over the next two years by hits including "I'm Telling You Now," "You Were Made For Me," "Over You," "I Love You Baby" and "I Understand."

In 1965 Freddie and the Dreamers topped the U.S. charts with "I'm Telling You Now" which went on to sell over 1 million copies.

It was on an American television show shortly afterwards that Freddie was asked about his stage antics. "It's a dance," came the reply. "It's called the Freddie" -- and a dance sensation was born.

Within weeks, the band was back in the charts with a song called "Do The Freddie."

Freddie disbanded the original group in 1969 and concentrated on solo work. But the band reformed in 1976, touring the globe for the next 25 years.

{i}i'm telling you now{/i}.........

20th May 2006 01:32 PM
*ginda Today I do The Freddie in his honor. It might last only 60 seconds or so but I'll give it my all. RIP Freddie.
20th May 2006 01:38 PM
glencar RIP Freddie.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)