ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Three years of "Banquete de Pordioseros The message board in Spanish
Photo is Cucho Peñaloza by Javier Zapata
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan on Dylan Return to archive
19th May 2006 07:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels REVIEW
Dylan on Dylan

"Essential Interviews" exposes artist

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 05/19/06
BY CHRIS M. JUNIOR
STAFF WRITER
THE ESSENTIAL INTERVIEWS

EDITED BY: Jonathan Cott

PUBLISHED BY: Wenner Books; $23.95

He once referred to himself simply as a song and dance man.

He also claimed to play mathematical music, offered no explanation for his popularity other than it "just happened, like anything else" and didn't believe songs can change people.

Much like the lyrics to his classic tunes, Bob Dylan's comments about himself and his work can be freewheeling and intriguing. The above assessments are among the many he's made that can be found in "Bob Dylan: The Essential Interviews" (Wenner Books, $23.95), which arrived in stores this week.

The book contains 31 Dylan conversations that took place from 1962 to 2004. Arranged in chronological order, the interviews show an artist who, depending on his mood, the circumstances and the question, would give succinct, elaborate and sometimes bizarre answers.

His Dec. 3, 1965, TV press conference for San Francisco's KQED clearly was a trying experience for both Dylan and the media. When asked if he considered himself a politician, Dylan rambled about having his own party that's "more or less in the center — kind of on the uppity scale." (Chances are Dylan was exacting revenge for being asked moments earlier if he had a rhyme for the word "orange.")

"The Essential Interviews" shows that through the years, Dylan became more forthcoming with the press. In a Rolling Stone magazine interview from June 21, 1984, he talks at length about his motivations behind "Self Portrait," a double album that baffled many of his fans when it was released in the early 1970s.

While most of the book contains straightforward question-and-answer interviews, some pieces are in narrative form, and those provide informed perspective and precise description. Among the best is a story written by Jon Pareles that ran in the Sept. 28, 1997, edition of the New York Times, in which Dylan admits: "I'm inconsistent, even to myself."

Inconsistent — maybe. Interesting — absolutely, and "The Essential Interviews" is proof.

19th May 2006 07:27 AM
speedfreakjive first Blonde on Blonde, now Dylan on Dylan,
19th May 2006 07:36 AM
stonedinaustralia i married isis on the 5th day of May...but i knew i could not hold on to her very long....

oh well, shit happens
19th May 2006 08:00 AM
Gazza good idea for a book - looks interesting. thanks
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)