ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Three years of "Banquete de Pordioseros The message board in Spanish
Photo is Cucho Peñaloza by Javier Zapata
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Quadrophenia (The Film) Return to archive
15th May 2006 06:02 PM
Honky Tonk Man I've just watched this for the first time tonight. I thought it was fantastic. What does everyone else think?
15th May 2006 06:13 PM
sirmoonie Its Who fantastic!

Stephanie/Leslie Ash is stunning.

Ferdie rocks - best drug dealer ever.

And there is nothing more fun than being in a violent, drunken mob.
15th May 2006 06:23 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Its Who fantastic!

Stephanie/Leslie Ash is stunning.

Ferdie rocks - best drug dealer ever.

And there is nothing more fun than being in a violent, drunken mob.

I actually thought Sting was pretty decent in it too, especially when he was beating up the boys in blue. Lesley Ash was indeed stunning in it, though this was a long time before she was having dodgy lip operations and falling out of bed during "rough sex" Phil Daniels is great as Jimmy.
15th May 2006 06:25 PM
Gazza went to see it when it came out. Loved it. Still great fun... ("you've killed me fahkin' scootah!" )It's also unique in that it was the only time where you could safely say, "Fuck - that guy Sting is pretty cool isnt he?" and not have people point at you in the street and laugh.

Unfortunately, the downside of it was that it spawned a generation of Plastic Mods throughout the UK who looked and sounded like utter wankers because they were too young to be around to live through it in the first place
[Edited by Gazza]
15th May 2006 06:26 PM
GotToRollMe I love everything about this flick. It blew me away the first time I saw it in the theater, and I still catch it whenever I can. Phil Daniels as Jimmy was excellent, and...well, what can I say? It's the fuckin' WHO, for Chrissake! Five bloody stars!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
15th May 2006 06:42 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Unfortunately, the downside of it was that it spawned a generation of Plastic Mods throughout the UK who looked and sounded like utter wankers because they were too young to be around to live through it in the first place
[Edited by Gazza]

You’re right. There are still a few of them about today. The film also coincided with the Jam. I'm sure that a lot to do with the re-emergence of the "Mod scene" too
15th May 2006 06:56 PM
Gazza I kinda remember when the Jam were seen as a new wave or punk band. They were out a couple of years before "Quadrophenia" but they were seen as "the" mod band once that craze took off.

Good band, they were worth a lot more than being lumped in with that lot.

Phil Daniels is still one of the best actors this country has produced in the last 30 years.

("...and you can stick your job RIGHT up your arsehole!"
[Edited by Gazza]
15th May 2006 07:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Phil Daniels is still one of the best actors this country has produced in the last 30 years.

("...and you can stick your job RIGHT up your arsehole!"
[Edited by Gazza]

I'll admit that I think he's very good in Eastenders. It's a shame though, because I would'nt be suprised that most of my generation only ascosiate him with the show. He has'nt changed a bit, unlike a couple of the others.
15th May 2006 07:55 PM
Riffhard A great film. I always loved the scene on the train during 5:15. Brilliant that is. Plus the whole riot scene in Brighton is great. Many youngsters today don't even know that the riots were based on the real riots of the day between the Mods and the Rockers. I always loved that movie. It really brought the album alive for me.

Now having said that,I thought that the recent Who tours where they did Quad in it's entirity were a little weak. I mean when you've got the kid toucher Gary Glitter playing the part of the Godfather you got to know something has gone horribly wrong!

In fact you have inspired me to put that record on tonight!

Riffy
15th May 2006 08:06 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
A great film. I always loved the scene on the train during 5:15.
Riffy

That's my favorite scene too - where he's sitting in between the two older gentlemen with those huge ashtray eyes! Priceless!
15th May 2006 08:07 PM
Gazza My first Who show was that Hyde Park one where Glitter guested (as did several others), which was shown on TV

That was the show where Daltrey wore the 'target' eye patch which at the time I thought was part of the act, but which it transpired was covering the damaged eye he sustained the day before at rehearsal when Glitter was swirling his mike stand around, caught him smack in the eye and almost killed him.

15th May 2006 08:17 PM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I've just watched this for the first time tonight. I thought it was fantastic. What does everyone else think?

A Damn Good Film .

" Ferdy ain't here is he ?!?! "

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:39769

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
15th May 2006 09:10 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I love everything about this flick. It blew me away the first time I saw it in the theater, and I still catch it whenever I can. Phil Daniels as Jimmy was excellent, and...well, what can I say? It's the fuckin' WHO, for Chrissake! Five bloody stars!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

Great post.

My favorite scene is the opener with The Real Me blaring, a song so alive, it makes you want to kill someone. But so many moments, Jimmy in the bath yelling at the dude across the wall, Jimmy explaining why he's a Mod, yeah even Sting was cool. Fucking great movie.

And again, the soundtrack has 4 previously unreleased Quadro tunes that are just super fine.

I think I'll pop the DVD in tonight.

[edited by Keith Moon]
[Edited by sirmoonie]
15th May 2006 09:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I have this movie in Beta Format, in English without subtitles, I saw it once only back in the 80s and didn't get the whole thing that slang and those idiomatic expressions were too much for me back then. I'm gonna try to listen to it again to see if I can get it. Does anybody know if the new DVD version (2003) has subtitles or closed caption (don't even care if they are in English, at least I can check what I don't understand via other way)

Musically I think Tommy is better but I like the story behind Quadrophenia more than the one about poor Tommy boy
15th May 2006 09:53 PM
pdog I've never seen it, I know Stink of The Police fame, is in it!
15th May 2006 11:24 PM
Gimme Shelter Great flick. I've had the DVD for awhile. I recently picked up the soundtrack and its got a couple of Who songs which are not on the Quadrophenia album.
15th May 2006 11:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey

Does the DVD have subtitles or closed captions?
15th May 2006 11:37 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Hey

Does the DVD have subtitles or closed captions?

It does not.

It is annotated though and some of the slang and accentuated words are explained. I agree, it could be difficult for people to understand who are not used to such.
16th May 2006 01:45 AM
StickyFishFingers Great film - and totally underrated too. I much prefer it over Tommy which as much as I also like, is quite corny IMO however.
Phil Daniels is a great actor & is really convincing as Jimmy the nutcase Mod. Thought he was great also in Blur's 'Parklife'. Did they write that song for him/Jimmy the Mod? Strangely Damon Albarn has always reminded me of Phil/Jimmy.

Leslie Ash - Oh Mama, enough said....

oh and by the way "We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods!"
16th May 2006 10:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
StickyFishFingers wrote:
Great film - and totally underrated too. I much prefer it over Tommy which as much as I also like, is quite corny IMO however.
Phil Daniels is a great actor & is really convincing as Jimmy the nutcase Mod. Thought he was great also in Blur's 'Parklife'. Did they write that song for him/Jimmy the Mod? Strangely Damon Albarn has always reminded me of Phil/Jimmy.

Leslie Ash - Oh Mama, enough said....

oh and by the way "We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods!"

Parklife was the first thing I noticed him in, though I had no idea who he was or what he'd previously been in.

I don't think they wrote the song Parklife specifically for him, but they obviously had him in mind for the vocal. He has a great voice and he's got a kind of cult status because of his portrayal of Jimmy in the movie. The actual song and in fact, the entire album, is supposed to document the life of the working classes.

Damon Albarn is a chameleon when it comes to his appearance and musical guises. He liked to think of himself as a sort of cockney geezer in the mid 90's, where as now he fronts a cartoon band.

16th May 2006 07:11 PM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Lesley Ash was indeed stunning in it, though this was a long time before she was having dodgy lip operations and falling out of bed during "rough sex"

Please fill me in on this one .......

Jacky Ash
17th May 2006 07:46 AM
corgi37 Awesome movie! Very well done and acted throug out. Leslie Ash was bloody gorgeous!

I havent seen her since the last series of Men Behaving Badly

Well, she aged badly! Surgery & a crash diet fucked her looks up so bad that the fat chick ended up being better looking.

Agree about Sting too. He was perfect as the "Face".

On a similar note, a mate just burnt me the re-jigged Kids are alright.

What a revelation! A 100% improvement on my old VHS.
17th May 2006 05:00 PM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

On a similar note, a mate just burnt me the re-jigged Kids are alright.

What a revelation! A 100% improvement on my old VHS.

The worm has turned for you my Corgi .

The accompaning booklet ( liner notes ) to the Re-Issued DVD " The Kids Are Alright " confirms what I have always suspected : ....that Keith Moon was healthy enough for only a few weeks in 1978 and one can sense this during the actual recording of the album " WHO ARE YOU " ( see : Title Track ) .

" How much better the band could have been if Keith was off the booze Ronnie ! "

Joey

[cc:ss]
[Edited by Joey]
17th May 2006 05:13 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

It does not.

I already bought it at eBay and the guy (with very good feedback btw) told me it has CLOSED CAPTIONS

I'm sure this has been the most difficult movie to understand for me, I simple didn't get it probably today it would be different, I saw it in the early 80s only one time and my poor English has improved a little.
18th May 2006 02:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Joey wrote:

Please fill me in on this one .......

Jacky Ash

She broke her ribs and initially, Lee Chapman (former crap footballer) was accused of beating her up, but it turned out that they had a vigorous sex session and she fell out of bed. Supposedly.
18th May 2006 05:13 PM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

She broke her ribs and initially, Lee Chapman (former crap footballer) was accused of beating her up, but it turned out that they had a vigorous sex session and she fell out of bed. Supposedly.

I love this story .

Bless You Honky Tonk Man .
18th May 2006 11:16 PM
corgi37 My mate didnt include any of the notes or even art work. I'll get it off him next time we have a jam session.

In one of the many WHO bio's i have, the WHO ARE YOU sessions were described as very painful. Moon had totally lost it. "Music must change" was supposed to feature him, but after many tries, he just couldnt do it, so they used nothing except footsteps. In fact, it said he was so fucked up they virtually couldnt use any of his drums tracks. Moon was virtually gonna be replaced. Then, something snapped, and he pulled himself together and completed the whole albums drum tracks in 10 days. But, compared to other albums, his drumming really does sound tired and uninspired.

Other band members whined about Townsehends songs too. Roger hated alot of it. Thus, the Ox stepped in and provided more tracks for this album than any other. "Trick of the light" is a bloody gem!

I actually dont like this album, though it was massive here in Oz. "Who are you" is far down my list of fave Who songs. The fake strings are so out of place on a Who record, let alone one recorded at the height of punk. I'd like to see this album re-released like the "Let it Be" album was, without all the crap on it.

Trouble is, sadly, what followed was the worst release by a major act. "Face Dances" ranks with Soft Parade, In through the out door and Dirty Work as worst albums EVER by a major act. Maybe just worst albums EVER.
18th May 2006 11:29 PM
sirmoonie There is footage of Moon singing background vocals for Who Are, the song. It might be on Kids Are Allright. You can just tell he's pretending to be Keith Moon - its like his life was sucked out of him and he was a caricature of himself. Sad stuff, because as everyone know, Keith Moon was one of the greatest humans that ever lived.
19th May 2006 12:21 AM
pdog See Me!
Feel Me!
Touch Me!
Delete Me!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)