ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

May 1969... days before passing
Very special thanks to the annonimous donator ;)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Technical question about stadium/arena sound Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
May 14th, 2004 12:10 PM
ThatsWhatISay Hi!

Can anyone here tell me why the stadium/arena sound sucks so bad most of the time? Why is it so hard to achieve an even sound quality throughout the whole stadium with a 250.000 watt system?? How can it be that at some moments the voice is completely out of the mix, or u can't hear the sax during e.g. the BS solo or Keith's guitar sound is gone...
I attended 4 Licks concerts and every concert had (partly) serious sound problems...I could have sometimes beaten up this sound guy :-(
I mean when you play a normal studio recording in the stadium you don't have sound problems as well, right? Or at least I never experienced a thing like that.

Since I have no idea about this technical stuff I hope you guys can help me :-)

ThatsWhatISay
May 14th, 2004 12:15 PM
telecaster Because new stadiums were built to magnify the sound of the crowd cheering at sporting events. Check out how high the ceilings are at these places. The sound bounces around too much.

The Stones played at mostly new stadiums on 40 Licks
May 14th, 2004 12:19 PM
jb It sucked b/c the sound technicians sucked....every night was inconsistent ...shameful.
May 14th, 2004 12:23 PM
wisertime I think it's really a caracteristic of Stones big shows, I saw different groups in the same stadium and the worst sound was at the Stones show. That's why the boots sound less good than for example Springsteen ones which were recorded in the same stadiums.
I have always asked myself why the sound was so poor in Stones shows.

May 14th, 2004 12:25 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
every night was inconsistent ...shameful.

I didn't know you went to every show, jb?!

May 14th, 2004 12:26 PM
jb
quote:
wisertime wrote:
I think it's really a caracteristic of Stones big shows, I saw different groups in the same stadium and the worst sound was at the Stones show. That's why the boots sound less good than for example Springsteen ones which were recorded in the same stadiums.

THE WORST SOUND for the greatest band....puzzling.
May 14th, 2004 12:27 PM
wisertime For sure it is !!
May 14th, 2004 12:28 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
wisertime wrote:
I think it's really a caracteristic of Stones big shows, I saw different groups in the same stadium and the worst sound was at the Stones show. That's why the boots sound less good than for example Springsteen ones which were recorded in the same stadiums.

The difference in recordings largely depends on where it's being recorded from. Because the sound bounces around more in larger venues, some spots have horrible sound while others have great sound.
May 14th, 2004 12:30 PM
wisertime And the sound for their opening acts sucks also !! (but their music too!!)
May 14th, 2004 12:31 PM
ThatsWhatISay Sound that is bouncing around doesn't really explain why you sometimes couldn't hear Mick's voice or Keith's guitar for like 30 secs or even longer. I think this was really due to the sound technicans.

I attended a Robbie Williams concert at the Schalke Arena and this stadium is super modern and had just been erected some time ago, however the sound was great throughout THE WHOLE show.

It's really a shame to let the audience suffer from such a sound as they payed a shitload of money for the show.

A poor sound can really fuck up a show. The worst sound was in the Olympiahalle in Munich. Although I loved the performance and the song choice I still get a head-ache when I listen to the bootleg :-(
May 14th, 2004 12:32 PM
wisertime You're right LB about the spot you record from but you must be lucky to find it !!
May 14th, 2004 12:33 PM
Lazy Bones The Stones show at Ford Field (stadium) in Detroit - October 2002 - was one of the best-sounding shows I've ever been to. It's where you sit.

For that show, I was straight back, about 12 rows up behind the b-stage.
May 14th, 2004 12:34 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
wisertime wrote:
You're right LB about the spot you record from but you must be lucky to find it !!

"The sweet spot" - right in front of the soundboard is best.
May 14th, 2004 12:34 PM
jb I think a lot of the sound techs were from Canada-nuff said.
May 14th, 2004 12:37 PM
wisertime ""The sweet spot" - right in front of the soundboard is best."

Thanks for the information !
May 14th, 2004 12:40 PM
telecaster
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
The Stones show at Ford Field (stadium) in Detroit - October 2002 - was one of the best-sounding shows I've ever been to. It's where you sit.

For that show, I was straight back, about 12 rows up behind the b-stage.

I sat near there as well in Chicago and the sound was amazing

Anything off to the sides and it sucks
May 14th, 2004 12:44 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I sat near there as well in Chicago and the sound was amazing

Anything off to the sides and it sucks

Chicago has eclipsed New York and Boston and the most intense Stones town.....Tele, did you go to the 75 stadium show?
May 14th, 2004 12:53 PM
telecaster No jb but every show since

I really wish I could have seen it

Chicago really loves The Stones
May 14th, 2004 01:09 PM
parmeda I have to agree with you gentlemen, it really depends on where you sit...or stand in a lot of cases. I have found that being on the main floor, dead center, in the UC is the place to be. You're bombarded ever so pleasantly, lol
May 14th, 2004 01:18 PM
LadyJane How about Chicago as the setting of a massive RO gathering for the next Tour???

LJ.
May 14th, 2004 01:19 PM
jb I always sit in the first few rows and it sounds great, which is why i am puzzled that the mordern day boots sound so shitty.
May 14th, 2004 02:14 PM
Gazza >Chicago has eclipsed New York and Boston as the most intense Stones town.

in the US I presume you mean.
May 14th, 2004 02:21 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Chicago has eclipsed New York and Boston as the most intense Stones town.

in the US I presume you mean.

In the entire world gazza...you certainly are not suggesting London..lol
May 14th, 2004 02:27 PM
Gazza No I'm not - by any stretch of the imagination. Why should I anyway, I dont live there.

How many countries outside the US have you seen the Stones in?

I hardly think you're in a position to judge fans worldwide as you're barely able to see past your own borders when it comes to anything, let alone Stones matters.

I'd agree with Chicago for the US, but worldwide? Buenos Aires or Amsterdam
May 14th, 2004 02:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, it makes sense that right in front of the soundboard will have the best sound. The sound guys are at the soundboard, and they are dialing in the sound to their ears. Their ears are at the soundboard as well...so get close to the soundboard and you are golden.

I think a lot of the problems come from wireless systems. It's just too easy for something to interupt the signal...especially in a large city with lots of signal waves bouncing all over the place.

But what other choice is there? You just can't hardwire Mick. Even Ronnie & Keith roam around too much for a hardwire.
May 14th, 2004 02:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot Just stay on topic JB. It's so simple.

But you can't seem to do it.

Nick Berg has nothing to do with this thread, so there is no reason to mention it. Ergo, you are attempting to hijack this thread off topic by posting something meant to incite the thread in a different direction.

It's bullshit JB. Knock it off.

May 14th, 2004 02:50 PM
jb No..I just knew you live in PA and wondered if he lived close by....I was not trying to incite anyone...just curious.
May 14th, 2004 02:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nice JB...post and delete.

Fuckin' wimp.
May 14th, 2004 02:57 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Nice JB...post and delete.

Fuckin' wimp.

I deleted the post b/c you cliam it was off topic and Gazza got pissed....you are never satisfied.....I really am beginning to seriously dislike you....I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
[Edited by jb]
May 14th, 2004 03:00 PM
Gazza But theyre not the only act who use those systems, SS. And it does seem to remain the case that theres more complaints about the sound at Stones shows (in both arenas AND stadiums) on websites from fans than those of any other act I'm familiar with (maybe the ticket prices dont help - at those prices, the least you should be able to expect is to HEAR the fuckin show properly)

I have to say, at the 13 shows I saw on the last tour, I thought the sound was fine on all of them (maybe Wembley 13/9 wasnt great, but I was seated just above and behind the sound system to the right of the stage that night). I'm sure there would have been some gripes about the mix had I stopped singin and listened carefully for long enough. My main complaint regarding the sound was that it sometimes wasnt LOUD ENOUGH. At some shows, it was just wonderful - Wembley 29/8 was the perfect show in every way, in performance from the whole band,atmosphere and sound.

The weather helps too. I saw three stadium shows - Giants Stadium, Anaheim and Twickenham - and they were all perfectly calm days and the sound was fine, even though I was at three very different locations in each stadium.

Pam - you mentioned about great sound in the UC in Chicago when you saw them there, which I found interesting as every show I've read reviews of that theyve played in that venue since their first date there in 1998 has seen numerous complaints about the horrible sound. I guess either those folks were just unlucky or else YOU were fortunate!
Page: 1 2 3