ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

May 1969... days before passing
Very special thanks to the annonimous donator ;)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Voodoo Lounge extra tracks Return to archive
May 13th, 2004 05:34 PM
L&A I'm just listening to the extra songs from the Voodoo Lounge sessions and it seems the Stones had a lot of fun playing some good blues music.

Here are the songs I found on my "singles" collection from 1994:

"Jump On Top Of Me"
"I'm Gonna Drive"
"The Storm"
�So Young"

I just don't know if my list is complete... Can someone help ? Thanks !
May 13th, 2004 05:49 PM
Bloozehound dunno 'bout any others but "jump on top of me" rocks asses unknown to mankind

like asses in other dimensions

shadow people and shit, man

whoa heavy

May 13th, 2004 05:50 PM
Jumacfly my fav is "so young", sounds like an old stones blues...my favs are from BREW, disc "charlie', 3rd song, great one, love this harp melody..

a plus L n A !
May 13th, 2004 05:57 PM
L&A
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
dunno 'bout any others but "jump on top of me" rocks asses unknown to mankind

whoa heavy

Any translation for French speaking members, Blooze ?

Saluju�ava ?
May 13th, 2004 06:02 PM
Jumacfly I think that means it kicks ass???

cavaluciolapatate?
May 13th, 2004 06:12 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
dunno 'bout any others but "jump on top of me" rocks asses unknown to mankind

whoa heavy

Whoa, that's rock'n'roll writing! Ladies and gentlemen, for your pleasure and for the information of the French-speaking minority, I'll try my hand at a translation...

"Chais pas pour les autres mais "Jump on top of me", �a fait bouger des p'tains de trucs inconnus de l'humanit�... P'tains de trucs dans une autre dimension... Les mecs de l'ombre et tout �a, merde alors... Bon sang, c'est fort!"

May 13th, 2004 06:19 PM
Jumacfly Thank you MW, you re a real mother for french wankers like us!!
May 13th, 2004 06:48 PM
Monkey Woman Eeeeuh! The mother to a score of hare-brained children, you mean?
They're so 21st Century, as Mick sang on the last tour!!!
May 13th, 2004 07:46 PM
gotdablouse Actually "So Young" dates back to the 77/78 sessions and only has new vocals by Mick that he recorded at the Record Plant in December 1993 with 5 other tracks (Fiji Jim was another one) from the 70s for inclusion as bonus tracks on the remastered Virgin CDs they had lined up for 1994 but they got lazy and just stuck to the original tracklisting.

Ther other bonuses (Drive, Jump) are just play by numbers blues tracks (except The Storm maybe) and they probably might as well have not bothered! I think they were trying to push singles sales...
May 13th, 2004 07:53 PM
Scottfree
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Ther other bonuses (Drive, Jump) are just play by numbers blues tracks (except The Storm maybe) and they probably might as well have not bothered! I think they were trying to push singles sales...

Some people never fuggin happy, I'm damn gald they did bother, I think they all kick ass, they sound great have a great bluesy drive, I couldn't ask for anything more. I think the 4 aforementioned tracks are better than anything on on VL, and I love VL.
May 13th, 2004 08:03 PM
Bloozehound Scottfree i'm with you.

I like VL, but if "jump on top of me" and one or two of the others had been on VL instead of some of VL's filler songs, I'd have loved it.

what a waste of a good songs, but its all good.
May 13th, 2004 10:01 PM
Child of the Moon The Storm? Should've been on the album. I love Voodoo Lounge, but it could have been even better, and that's a song that could've made it so. So Young and Jump On Top of Me kick ass, too. I haven't listened to I'm Gonna Drive in a while, I suppose I should.

And then there's the songs that didn't get released... Zip Mouth Angel, Honest Man, You Got It Made, Randy Whore, Slip Away, etc.
May 14th, 2004 02:37 AM
L&A
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Whoa, that's rock'n'roll writing! Ladies and gentlemen, for your pleasure and for the information of the French-speaking minority, I'll try my hand at a translation...

"Chais pas pour les autres mais "Jump on top of me", �a fait bouger des p'tains de trucs inconnus de l'humanit�... P'tains de trucs dans une autre dimension... Les mecs de l'ombre et tout �a, merde alors... Bon sang, c'est fort!"

Merci, Monkey Woman, I had a good wake-up reading your translation
May 14th, 2004 04:58 AM
F505 L&A what do you think? IMO Fancyman Blues is one of the best Stones songs in 20 years.
[Edited by F505]
May 14th, 2004 09:44 AM
L&A Hi, F505 (the only dutchie in France who never lived in France, lol). This morning I came at work listening to my new compilation including all those great blues songs from the last 20 years... also with the fantastic "blues" from the latest solo effort from Mick. Damn, this guy can sing the blues better than anyone !

Stones !!!!
May 14th, 2004 09:56 AM
F505 I totally agree with you L&A. Mick + harp = the blues
May 15th, 2004 01:24 AM
T&A I agree with godablouse on the play-by-numbers comment. not bad songs, but the Stones aren't even breaking a sweat on these kinda tunes. throwaways - but nice ones at that...
May 15th, 2004 02:57 PM
Nasty Habits Didn't I read somewhere that these were specifically recorded at "b-side" sessions and that not much attention was given to them at all? They're obviously little bones thrown to fans and little enticements to pick up singles. Still, the groove on Jump on Top of Me Baby proves that the band often does better when they're not trying to hard than when they're really "going for it". I like this song better than several on Voodoo Loung.

The Storm is another thing altogether -- a freakin' modern masterpiece and probably the best "blues" song the band has recorded since they rode around in long black limousines.

I love the harmonica sound on Fancy Man blues, too.

May 15th, 2004 09:07 PM
Gazza Those b-sides are better than at least 3-4 of the songs on "Voodoo Lounge".

"Suck on the jugular" especially isnt worthy of official release.

And as for putting them out just to cater for the singles market, well give me a proper, previously unreleased song any day rather than those hideous remixes,dubs or dancefloor mixes that they usually did during the mid 80's to mid 90's. God knows who THEY were aimed at. For the most part, I never listened to them
May 16th, 2004 12:12 AM
Taptrick -

I love Zip Mouth Angel. I think its going to be right up there with Blood Red Wine with everyone wondering "why didn't they finish it/mix it?"

Anyone know where the title on Zip Mouth comes from. I'm not catching it in the lyrics.

May 16th, 2004 09:26 AM
Gazza >I love Zip Mouth Angel. I think its going to be right up there with Blood Red Wine with everyone wondering "why didn't they finish it/mix it?"

maybe they did, Tap.

Dont forget, the version bootlegged may very well not be the final or most complete take that was recorded.

May 16th, 2004 09:51 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Didn't I read somewhere that these were specifically recorded at "b-side" sessions and that not much attention was given to them at all? They're obviously little bones thrown to fans and little enticements to pick up singles. Still, the groove on Jump on Top of Me Baby proves that the band often does better when they're not trying to hard than when they're really "going for it". I like this song better than several on Voodoo Loung.

The Storm is another thing altogether -- a freakin' modern masterpiece and probably the best "blues" song the band has recorded since they rode around in long black limousines.

I love the harmonica sound on Fancy Man blues, too.

The way Mick recounts it, those songs were indeed written just as b-sides.

"I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong (on demand). Don Was said, Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week. It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides. And when we were there the last night in Dublin, Don said, Well, we should really have done the B-sides. I said, Well, I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides. He said, Well, couldn't you just go and write them? This is like at the end of the 6 weeks. And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides. And he said, Well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafeteria and do them? I said, Okay, I'll try it. So I went in and wrote The Storm and the next one, which is called Jump on Top of Me, and the next one, which is called, ah... (laughs). I forget what I called it! It's called Drive something - I don't know - Ride All Night or something. I can't remember; I changed it. But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.

- Mick Jagger, 1994"

http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOTheStorm.html

I think Nasty touched a very important thing here: sometimes, the Stones are probably trying too hard to do a "good" song, but when they just let the juices flow, they come up with fresh and outstanding material. Too bad they didn't think again and decide to use those "b-sides" as albums tracks in the end...