ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

May 1969... days before passing
Very special thanks to the annonimous donator ;)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: KNEBWORTH WILD HORSES Return to archive
May 13th, 2004 12:23 PM
cwatts0462 I THINK RONNIE IS GREAT ON THIS VERSION
A LITTLE DIFFERENT SOLO COMPARED TO 75
May 13th, 2004 02:30 PM
Child of the Moon A fantastic version, I gotta say. The only thing that brings it down for me is the fact that Mick always gets my favorite lyric wrong: "Let's do some living after we die." He always sings "love dies," and it's nowhere near as effective. That's one I thing I gotta give Dave Matthews on the B2B concert video - at least he gets it right.
May 14th, 2004 08:23 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ronald isn't great on this version at all. No, he is breathtaking. How he does those fiddly guitar fills and sing back up at the same time is beyond me. I have parts of that show on video and obviously that whole show was an absolute joy.

I like the version of Wild Horses on Four Flicks, but what has happened to the man? I love this guy and I really digged a lot of the sloppiness of his current style, but how does such a once fine guitarist, deteoriate so much?

Alex
May 14th, 2004 08:38 AM
BillyBoll "Booze and pills and powders" ?
May 14th, 2004 08:49 AM
F505 I am saying this for many years: ronnie has lost it and is a shadow of the guy who played excellent guitar in the seventies and early eighties. His playing on the Licks Tour is the worst I've ever heard.
May 14th, 2004 08:53 AM
Moonisup
quote:
F505 wrote:
I am saying this for many years: ronnie has lost it and is a shadow of the guy who played excellent guitar in the seventies and early eighties. His playing on the Licks Tour is the worst I've ever heard.

totally true
May 14th, 2004 03:33 PM
marko ah he was worse in 1999.still great on voodoo.
May 15th, 2004 01:21 AM
T&A it went down-hill rapidly in the mid-80's. First very noticeable on the '89 tour...never really comeback since. sad.
May 15th, 2004 03:32 AM
beer Ronnie was incredible on Wild Horses from knebworth. Same with his guitar work on YCAGWYW from the same era, Paris '76 or whatever. i was bored as hell watching the L.A. '75 video though.
I liked his stuff in '78 and the the '81 boots also. But something very drastic happened between the the '81 tour and the '89 tour.i've never liked that Steel Wheels tour shit. I think it was a combination of ronnie, Keith, and the fact that the Stones, and touring in general, changed massively in that time frame(Tattoo You - Steel Wheels).
blame it on the '80's, Stu's death, technology, drugs, booze, or simply, The Stones themselves, i dunno. It is a cliche comment now, but it's true: The Stones lost their raw, dirty , guitar based sound in that time frame. Which is what made them the "best" in the first place.
May 15th, 2004 05:39 AM
luxury1 I agree F505, and Alex--I dont know how this guy has deteriorated so much, and I am not even a guitar player, and it is WAAAAAAAy obvious to me. I can barely listen to the boots from Licks--I cringe at most of his "solos", and for the rest of the time, he is barely present. I guess that is why he is so far down in the mix.
BUt I want to stay optimistic, and hope he rallies for the next tour, as he gets more used to being sober. At least he is going in the right direction concerning his health.
May 15th, 2004 12:16 PM
T&A I'm with you, Luxury - we can hope. But, realistically, I don't think we can expect much in the way of a return to form for Mr. Wood. What I'm really concerned about is further decline (first evident on Licks) of Mr. Richards' play. Should he continue in that direction in '05 - the next could might be a real "cringer."
May 17th, 2004 08:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think I could forgive most of Ronnies errors on the Licks tour. At least it seemed he was enjoying himself, but bloody hell... listen to his solo on Worried About You from Circus Krome! What was that all about!!

Alex
May 17th, 2004 10:20 AM
F505 Sometimes he has his moments but in Vredenburg for example he was drunk or stoned or both. A few times Keith en Mick whispered something in his ear to make him clear he should concentrate on his guitar playing. His days are over. He has finally become the Ringo Star of the Stones.