ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

May 1969... days before passing
Very special thanks to the annonimous donator ;)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No Security .......Was Different Return to archive
May 13th, 2004 02:24 AM
IanBillen
When I listen to No Security it was obvious to me from day one that The Stones didn't want to do another basic mold type live album of their normal sort. This one seems more intimate than say Flash Point, Stripped live stuff, or Still Life wouldn't you agree? It has it's own place on the shelf as does Bridges to Babylon in that is for a different type take.
The crowd is certainly not as high in the mix. The festiveness of a normal Stones album is not there as well. It seems purposely done. Seems The Stones didn't want another "Hey, Bam, it's The Stones Man" type of sound or run on this one.
Anyone agree?
Ian
May 13th, 2004 02:42 AM
shakedhandswithkeith I don`t like NS. The disk has nothing to do with the BTB concerts that I saw.
Flashpoint and Still Live are very good albums, but NS is not a good one - for me!

May 13th, 2004 02:45 AM
Jumacfly for me NS is the typical example of their lack of groove since Nill left them...
i don t like it except out of Control, an amazing version for sure but the rest...one thiny guitar, a clear sound, hu, bring back the REAL STones please!!
May 13th, 2004 04:00 AM
F505 After Love you Live all official live albums of the Stones suck: they are overproduced, songs are shortened and they lack the rawness of the real performances.
May 13th, 2004 04:10 AM
luridchief I like it a LOT just for the fresh track selection . . . !
May 13th, 2004 05:23 AM
IanBillen

I liked Still Life. Who couldn't? Even Though it seemed a little fat sound wise and Mick's vocals on the tour were purposely nasaly. FlashPoint was fantastic.
The Stones on Licks sounded great. A lot of energy in the music this time. Guitars out in front and a full upbeat
groove. Stones on the Licks tour played tight, yet at the same time sounded thick. Great sound last time out. I was so pleased with it from a sonic standpoint as well as the rest.
Licks really seemed to hit the spot.
Ian
May 13th, 2004 05:28 AM
F505
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I liked Still Life. Who couldn't?

I couldn't. A good live recording of the 1981 tour is 20 flight rock, Hampton. It has all what Still Life lacks.
May 13th, 2004 08:46 AM
nankerphelge "Stones on the Licks tour played tight, yet at the same time sounded thick. Great sound last time out."

No way!

They may have played well, but the sound was horrible.
They embarrassed themselves a few times with their inability to get it right -- even beyond the first few shows.

There was and is no excuse for shitty sound.
Get it right next time fellas!
May 13th, 2004 09:13 AM
Jumacfly this muddy sound became very embarrassing...have many boots of the licks tour, i don t listen to them anymore bcuz of that...the shitty percussion spoils Charlie 's playing on most of the songs, and i won t talk here about thiny guitars and piano...
May 13th, 2004 10:47 AM
jb No Security was in concept a good idea..the transition to arenas was inevitable..however, the tour itself was somewhat disappointing as they really seemed tired coming off B2B...as far as the album, 2 words-Dave Mathews
May 14th, 2004 12:08 AM
IanBillen

Well I saw them three times out on Licks.
1. Giants Stadium-NJ (that was my vacation) Great Show
2. Cleveland Gund arena-Fantastic stuff, Sound was great
3. Pittsburgh-Decent Show, In my opinion the sound wasn't as
hot on this show although it was still pretty good.
Now, here is the kicker- My buddy who knows sound really
well went with me to the show. He lives in PA so he got
a different seat. When we met after the show he kept
remarking that The Stones sounded better sonically than he
had ever heard them live( I kept thinking man, you should
of saw them at Cleveland or Giants if you want to know
how good They can sound on this tour.
So I knew it wasn't in my head. Also look at Four Flicks HBO
special. Sure it's cleaned up and has seperate mixes added in here and there but you can tell they had alot of punch and power to their sound this time out.
Also was next to a guy from europe who was a Stones nut at Giants and he stated The Stones had a very powerful sound this time.
Also, look at the reviews. Many stated how tight they sounded this tour. Like eveb Pittsburgh gazette next day.
Maybe you had a bad seat or saw a show where the acoustics in The joint just were not so hot and The sound guys had trouble adjusting or something.
I mean, just listen to HBO Four Flicks show. The proof is in the pudding no matter how much they cleaned it up.
Ian