ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

May 1969... days before passing
Very special thanks to the annonimous donator ;)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: John Mayall Plays Chicago (smtc) Return to archive
May 12th, 2004 01:05 PM
telecaster http://www.suntimes.com/output/music/cst-ftr-mayall12.html

As a newly turned septuagenarian, John Mayall may not have the energy for mentoring that he once did when his Bluesbreakers were the wellspring of British blues-rock superstars. He developed Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, Peter Green, Jack Bruce, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Keef Hartley and Dick Heckstall-Smith -- to name but a handful -- but there was never any continuity in his group, which must have been jarring for fans who didn't know what they were getting from one album to the next.

Mayall has solved that problem with a stable lineup of guitarist Buddy Whittington, a Bluesbreaker for 11 years; bassist Hank Van Sickle, who signed on in 2000, and drummer Joe Yuele, who has played with Mayall for nearly two decades. To label them as supporting artists would be to sell them short, particularly in the case of Whittington.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based axman was Mayall's musical partner in every sense of the word in a Monday night tour stop at Durty Nellie's in Palatine. The northwest suburban audience responded as enthusiastically to Whittington's stylish, rapid-fire licks and gravelly voice as they did to Mayall's trademark pinched, nasally vocals, which are perfect for singing the blues. And Mayall, never a spotlight-hogging showman, warmed to the crowd's enthusiasm with as much between-song patter and wit as he has displayed at any point in his 48-year career.

Sure, Monday is a slow night for musicians, and the Chicago area show was sandwiched conveniently between St. Louis and Des Moines appearances. But the former "shanty Irish" pub now is in a glistening new home that accommodates 750 people, and its layout and sound should make it a favorite stop for touring groups.

An artist who never has believed in overstaying his welcome onstage, Mayall played what, for him, was a long set Monday night, some 90 minutes plus an encore. It was well-paced, and provided a career retrospective. What it revealed is that Mayall is now in one of his most prolific periods as an artist, with a great ear for a cover (Julie and Buddy Miller's shimmering "Dirty Water" and wife Maggie's spellbinding "The Witching Hour" were among the standouts) and an ever-evolving ability to get the max from the minimum.

While the four-piece Bluesbreakers are a spartan outfit to begin with, Mayall deploys stop-timing and unaccompanied instrumental solos and duets by the various members to strip down the sound even further. And Mayall is a master of four instruments -- harmonica, guitar, piano and organ -- allowing him to change up from song to song. Sometimes he uses two or more instruments during the same number.

The Bluesbreakers have always had their time in the spotlight before Mayall takes the stage, and Whittington and company took full advantage of their star turn, particularly with a rousing version of B.B. King's "You Upset Me Baby." When it came time for the boss to join the party, Whittington introduced him as "the father of British blues" -- no less than three times. That was curious billing for the man who once declared, "Obviously I'm not the father. That would be Alexis Korner."

Mayall may just have grown tired of correcting that commonly held assumption, or perhaps he's come to accept the title. Either way, he wears it well, with his frequent pronouncements on the glory of the blues and a tune, "Kids Got the Blues," that revels in the renewed interest in the music among the younger generation.

While youthful exuberance has rarely been used to describe Mayall's concert demeanor, it didn't seem off-base for his Durty Nellie's performance. Even his signature tune, "Room to Move," was played with renewed vigor, an affirmation of independence by a man who has always gone his own way.

His most recent double CD and accompanying DVD, recorded at a 70th birthday concert, was a chance to schmooze with famous friends Clapton, Taylor and Chris Barber. But Mayall doesn't need to drop names to re-establish his credentials. He gets affirmation every time he plays, as he did to perfection Monday night.

May 12th, 2004 01:13 PM
jb Tele, wahtever you do, don't shake Moises Alou's hand!!!
[Edited by jb]
May 12th, 2004 01:18 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Tele, wahtever you do, don't sake Moises Alou's hand!!!

LOL! No joke. Who pee's on their own hands? What a fruitloop
May 12th, 2004 01:45 PM
Jumacfly Hi there..interesting thread!

i ve seen Mayall 10 years ago, he was a nice give, the whole band gave us the hang five after the show, and this guy buddy (buddy guy ha ha )Whittington came and gave me nearly twenty picks to dispatch in the crowd...
Suddently, i felt like a cool coke can in the desert with twenty thirsty guys all around me...The hand of his hand was nearly like my leg That s a good guitar player, but not as great as MT or Coco Montoya...

Anyway if any of you projects to see him, that's a great blues night garanteed!
Bluesbreakers are still a model for all white blues band, in an opposite stlye than Poppa Chubby's one( i lke it too)..

May 12th, 2004 05:44 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Tele, wahtever you do, don't shake Moises Alou's hand!!!
[Edited by jb]

i was laughing my ass off, i even sent that article to my buddy who is depolyed to Afganistan since he is so solidly anti cub like myself......i do hope he sticks that hand down Dustys throat though
May 12th, 2004 08:03 PM
polksalad69 Tele, did you go?

You know there is more than one team in this town.