ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Palazzo del Ghiaccio, Milano, Italia - 8 Aprile del 1967
© Giovanni Liverani with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stone: 15 Worst Albums By Great Bands (Perks: read at own risk) Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th May 2007 10:58 AM
Saint Sway Rolling Stone’s 15 Worst Albums By Great Bands
You guys went to town this weekend, nominating your picks for worst albums ever released by undeniably awesome bands. We put your nominations together with ours and came up with this definitive list of the fifteen most worthy. Check it out below.

apologies in advance to 10K Motels for posting this list before he did.

and Perks... I warned you... I hope you're taking your heart medication and are sitting down

1. Bob Dylan, “Down In the Groove”
2. Rolling Stones, “Dirty Work”
3. David Bowie, “Tonight
4. Van Morrison, “Beautiful Vision”
5. The Clash, “Cut the Crap”
6. Neil Young, “Old Ways”
7. Van Halen, “Diver Down”
8. The Who, “Face Dances”
9. Elvis Costello, “Mighty Like A Rose”
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers, “One Hot Minute”
11. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, “American Dream”
12. Aerosmith, “Rock in a Hard Place”
13. Lou Reed, “Mistrial”
14. Morrissey, “Kill Uncle”
15. Led Zeppelin, “Presence”
15th May 2007 11:51 AM
Joey " 2. Rolling Stones, “Dirty Work” "

Man looks into the Abyss and sees the Dirty Work album staring back up at him . It is at THIS point that man finds his character and THAT is what keeps man OUT of the Abyss .

Developing ................

Shiver ................

I Thank You All for Your time Today !

The Joey !
15th May 2007 12:05 PM
gustavobala i like diver down from van halen, ok, it´s a pop album, but i like!

i like dirty work! ok , rolling stones does a great albuns, but i think is regular album!
15th May 2007 12:12 PM
Saint Sway Dirty Work was the last record the Stones sounded raunchy on - with that filthy Keef Riff Hard sound.

I'm more bummed about Down In The Groove being #1. Its a pretty good record. And far from being Dylans worst. It doesnt belong on the list.
15th May 2007 12:16 PM
Dan Presence is the only Led Zeppelin record I even listen to anymore. "Achilles Last Stand" is their best song.
15th May 2007 12:19 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:
Presence is the only Led Zeppelin record I even listen to anymore. "Achilles Last Stand" is their best song.

Personally , I LIKE " Face Dances " :

|
|
V

[Edited by Joey]
15th May 2007 12:29 PM
Saint Sway The Who have a lot of really bad records and a couple amazing ones.

its probably difficult to single out which is their worst
15th May 2007 01:25 PM
Gazza Most of these selections are quite predictable.

Cant comprehend the brickbats for 'Beautiful Vision' which I personally think (and I'm not alone) is one of Morrison's finest albums. Some of his latter day efforts are a bit below the usual standard, but that one is a gem.

'Cut the Crap' was ruined in the studio. When debuted 18 months earlier, a lot of those songs were very good. Its still worth buying for 'This is England', alone - although some of the others are quite good too.

"Old Ways" is a decent record, with a couple of gems on it ("Misfits" for example). Neil has put out quite a few albums, exspecially in the 80s which were far worse -"Landing on water" and "Everybodys Rockin" to name but two.
[Edited by Gazza]
15th May 2007 01:31 PM
Throwaway Where is "Phobia" by the Kinks??? It's shitty metal that makes my ears hurt.
15th May 2007 01:59 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The Who have a lot of really bad records and a couple amazing ones.

its probably difficult to single out which is their worst

You make Joey very sad .
15th May 2007 02:18 PM
BILL PERKS FUCK THEM AND THEIR LIST

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH DIRTY WORK & DIVER DOWN IS THEY ARE TOO SHORT.

FACE DANCERS IS AN EXCELELLENT RECORD,MUCH BETTER TRAN WHO ARE YOU;IMHO!
15th May 2007 02:42 PM
Dan I have Face Dances on vinyl. Probably haven't listened to it in at least 15 years.
15th May 2007 02:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
FACE DANCERS IS AN EXCELELLENT RECORD,MUCH BETTER TRAN WHO ARE YOU;IMHO!

No it isnt, but 'Daily Records' is a much underrated tune.
15th May 2007 03:07 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

Personally , I LIKE " Face Dances " :

|
|
V

[Edited by Joey]

Totally. That album doesn't belong in that crappy list.

So it's not Quadrophenia. Duh. What could anyone expect at that time?
15th May 2007 03:51 PM
Gazza It speaks volumes that almost all of these albums were released in the 80's.
15th May 2007 03:56 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It speaks volumes that almost all of these albums were released in the 80's.

Thats right...no new "great" bands since then to compete in this category....
15th May 2007 04:11 PM
Gazza I was thinking more that it was maybe down to a combination of a decade of bad taste combined with the good drugs being in shorter supply, myself!
15th May 2007 04:36 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I was thinking more that it was maybe down to a combination of a decade of bad taste combined with the good drugs being in shorter supply, myself!

Gee...I had no trouble getting good drugs in the 80's!...Or was that the 90's...or no wait...ummmerrrrr...ahhhh.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
15th May 2007 07:15 PM
pagey666.6 I think Dirty Work is actually pretty good......whoever said it was the last album with the great heavy Keith sound is right. Personally, I think that Undercover or Bridges To Babylon is worse than Dirty Work.

And I like Presence a lot...mainly because it is the one Zeppelin album that is not overplayed on the radio. In Through The Out Door is much worse......longgggggg keyboard songs and (extra) sloppy guitar work from Page.

And Self Portrait has got to be the worst Dylan ever. Bad bad bad bad covers that sound like he's taking the piss. Listen to his version of "The Boxer" where he does both the Simon and the Garfunkle parts........badly out of tune and time. Hard to beleive this is the guy that gave us Blonde On Blonde or Highway 61.

And no McCartney? Granted, most of his solo stuff is pretty bland, but McCartney II is really horrible, even by his standards. And Sometime In New York City by Lennon is pretty putrid too. Bad protest songs........

Van Halen III is much worse than Diver Down. No one expected it to be a masterpeice, but no one thought it would be that bad.

And yeah, Phobia is pretty bad. Hard to beleive Ray Davies is the same guy that gave us Village Green Preservation Society or Arthur. God REALLY needed to save the Kinks on that one.

Surprised no one mentioned Metal Machine Music or the infamous Having Fun With Elvis On Stage. (Granted, at the time, Elvis was not really a mover and a shaker, but that is really fucking terrible - although funny as hell).

[Edited by pagey666.6]
15th May 2007 07:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
pagey666.6 wrote:

And Self Portrait has got to be the worst Dylan ever. Bad bad bad bad covers that sound like he's taking the piss.

He is. Thats the point with some of it... LOL. You couldnt include that horrid live version of 'Like a rolling stone' from the Isle of Wight without it being a pisstake IMO.

Theres some real turds on there, but theres some terrific music too, if you can get away from the "this is the guy who wrote 'Blonde on Blonde'" mindset and listen to it on its own merits. 'Copper Kettle' is an absolutely beautiful track, for example. Worth the price of the album on it's own for me - one of the finest vocals of Bob's entire career.

Good call on Some Time in NYC and Having Fun with Elvis.

McCartney 'solo' maybe isnt seen as a 'great artist', maybe thats why its excluded.

[Edited by Gazza]
15th May 2007 08:04 PM
Soldatti I take DW over any album that followed it, except VL.
15th May 2007 09:14 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I take DW over any album that followed it, except VL.

Crazy talk!
15th May 2007 09:15 PM
guitarman53 Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" has got to be one of the worst of all time, & it didn't even make the list!
15th May 2007 10:33 PM
pagey666.6 [quote]Gazza wrote:

"He is. Thats the point with some of it... LOL. You couldnt include that horrid live version of 'Like a rolling stone' from the Isle of Wight without it being a pisstake IMO."

According to Dylan himself, he meant for the album to be taken seriously and apparently was quite hurt that everyone thought it was a joke. Yes, there are some decent songs and performances on it, but overall it's pretty bad.

"McCartney 'solo' maybe isnt seen as a 'great artist', maybe thats why its excluded."

Fair enough, however, considering that he was once a Beatle, (and is in Guiness as the worlds most successful songwriter), you could call him a 'great artist', although his solo stuff does absolutely nothing for me. His credentials as a Beatle would at least give him some form of credibility as a 'great artist'. More than Morrissey, let's say. My comment was just reflecting on the fact that amongst his lightweight career as a solo artist, McCartney II stands out as being even worse and more lightweight than his other works.

Glad you liked the Elvis album and Sometime In NYC. (And if Lennon could be called a 'great artist', I guess you could qualify McCartney too, although Lennon was more of a genius to me than McCartney, who was always more of a commercial hack....although his Beatles work is beyond reproach).

And I agree...I'd take Dirty Work over every album that followed except Voodoo Lounge as well.
[Edited by pagey666.6]
15th May 2007 10:40 PM
pagey666.6 And to just mention a few more bad albums although they are not by 'great artists'.....just horribly wretched, check out these:

The Shaggs (80's reissue of 2 albums from the late 60's and early 70's)
Sebastian Cabot - SC actor, Bob Dylan poet, a dramatic reading with music
Mrs Miller - Mrs Miller's Greatest Hits
Wild Man Fischer - An Evening With WMF (produced by Zappa)
Portmouth Sinfonia (produced by Brian Eno)

William Shatner is too obvious to mention......
15th May 2007 10:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl 15. Led Zeppelin, “Presence”

This is a great album, gotta listen really high to get it, love it
15th May 2007 11:01 PM
pagey666.6
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
15. Led Zeppelin, “Presence”

This is a great album, gotta listen really high to get it, love it

Yeah, I love that one too. Both Page and Bonham are amazing on it.........definitely one of the most underrated albums of all time.
16th May 2007 04:30 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:

McCartney 'solo' maybe isnt seen as a 'great artist', maybe thats why its excluded.

Thank God.
16th May 2007 04:41 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
pagey666.6 wrote:
I think Dirty Work is actually pretty good......whoever said it was the last album with the great heavy Keith sound is right. Personally, I think that Undercover or Bridges To Babylon is worse than Dirty Work.

And I like Presence a lot...mainly because it is the one Zeppelin album that is not overplayed on the radio. In Through The Out Door is much worse......longgggggg keyboard songs and (extra) sloppy guitar work from Page.

And Self Portrait has got to be the worst Dylan ever. Bad bad bad bad covers that sound like he's taking the piss. Listen to his version of "The Boxer" where he does both the Simon and the Garfunkle parts........badly out of tune and time. Hard to beleive this is the guy that gave us Blonde On Blonde or Highway 61.

And no McCartney? Granted, most of his solo stuff is pretty bland, but McCartney II is really horrible, even by his standards. And Sometime In New York City by Lennon is pretty putrid too. Bad protest songs........

Van Halen III is much worse than Diver Down. No one expected it to be a masterpeice, but no one thought it would be that bad.

And yeah, Phobia is pretty bad. Hard to beleive Ray Davies is the same guy that gave us Village Green Preservation Society or Arthur. God REALLY needed to save the Kinks on that one.

Surprised no one mentioned Metal Machine Music or the infamous Having Fun With Elvis On Stage. (Granted, at the time, Elvis was not really a mover and a shaker, but that is really fucking terrible - although funny as hell).

[Edited by pagey666.6]

I like eggs.
16th May 2007 06:21 AM
corgi37 Led Zep's worst is "In through the out door". I agree with DW & Face Dances.

Would also like to add "Soft Parade" by the Doors.

And VH3
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)