ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Palazzo del Ghiaccio, Milano, Italia - 8 Aprile del 1967
© Giovanni Liverani with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GLENCAR APPREATION THREAD Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
5th April 2007 07:40 AM
lotsajizz we've only got the population on our side to the extent we aid them against their neighbors....speaking of, the Kurds have been loyal, it is time they got rewarded with their own nation...

5th April 2007 08:11 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
we've only got the population on our side to the extent we aid them against their neighbors....speaking of, the Kurds have been loyal, it is time they got rewarded with their own nation...

Well it's mainly the neighbors who are in the country making trouble. So of course we would help them. Given time, we will do this. This is important stuff. If it takes 10 years we should still do it. The Kurds might get just that some day.

[Edited by Maxlugar]
5th April 2007 10:40 AM
glencar Maybe Nanny Pelosi will negotiate with Turkey next for a free Kurdistan. They'll be understanding...
5th April 2007 11:04 AM
Starbuck don't bet on it. the turks hate the kurds as much as the sunnis and shias do. there is no way they would allow that to happen, as the kurds would try to make inroads into their territory in southern turkey.

max...you sound so idealistic...do you really believe democracy can work in iraq? let me rephrase that: do you really believe i can build a flower garden in the middle of the sahara?
5th April 2007 11:27 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
don't bet on it. the turks hate the kurds as much as the sunnis and shias do. there is no way they would allow that to happen, as the kurds would try to make inroads into their territory in southern turkey.

max...you sound so idealistic...do you really believe democracy can work in iraq? let me rephrase that: do you really believe i can build a flower garden in the middle of the sahara?

Well, DUH! I was being sarcastic as the Turks are known to be quite vicious. What they do to the Armenians apparently qualifies as the world's first holocaust. BTW I'm not trying to slam any Turks who might be reading this. I've always wanted to visit the country. Despite its barbarism, it still holds a certain appeal.
5th April 2007 11:28 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

Well, I think we could have started them on teh road to democracy but it's getting late in the day. L. Paul Bremer was certainly no MacArthur!
5th April 2007 11:34 AM
Starbuck and W is no FDR. hell, he's no Rutherford B Hayes, for that matter. hovering between Harding and James Buchanan in my book.

i spent a month in turkey in college. beautiful country. very westward leaning and a strong ally to the US. that's clinton sat on his but and didn't say boo when the turks socked it to the kurds, when was that...bout '98 or so?
5th April 2007 11:36 AM
Starbuck i am having a huge mental block! what comes between agent provocateur and resident cretin?
5th April 2007 11:41 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
and W is no FDR. hell, he's no Rutherford B Hayes, for that matter. hovering between Harding and James Buchanan in my book.

i spent a month in turkey in college. beautiful country. very westward leaning and a strong ally to the US. that's clinton sat on his but and didn't say boo when the turks socked it to the kurds, when was that...bout '98 or so?

Actually I read an article last month about howe Harding was no slouch. He apparently was better than his rep. Buke was one of the worst. You know howe I feel about Clinton. Where'd you go in Turkey?
5th April 2007 11:42 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i am having a huge mental block! what comes between agent provocateur and resident cretin?

I don't think there's anything in between.
5th April 2007 11:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i am having a huge mental block! what comes between agent provocateur and resident cretin?

Overpaid layabout!
5th April 2007 11:49 AM
Starbuck
quote:
Where'd you go in Turkey?

spent just under a month in istanbul, then flew to ankara, drove to cappadocia and then to the aegean coast, catching all the greek and roman ruins along the way. i still remember my turkish!
5th April 2007 11:50 AM
Starbuck
quote:
Overpaid layabout!

THAT'S it! shit! how could i forget those days?

gazza, did you eliminate the overpaid layabout?

[Edited by Starbuck]
5th April 2007 11:52 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Overpaid layabout!

Wow! I'd forgotten!
5th April 2007 11:53 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

spent just under a month in istanbul, then flew to ankara, drove to cappadocia and then to the aegean coast, catching all the greek and roman ruins along the way. i still remember my turkish!

I'd love to see the old ruins...
5th April 2007 12:12 PM
lotsajizz ..ruins kind of justify a vacation....

5th April 2007 12:16 PM
Rodney_King It's so quiet in the ruins walking though the old town
Stones crumbling under my feet I see smoke for miles around
Oh it's enough to make you weep, all that remains of the main street
Up in the park on Sunday, dogs chasing and the children played
Old man with his head down, can't see nothing more around...no

But he remembers how it used to be, back in the old days,
So nice to see you coming back in this town again
It's nice to see a friendly face come peeping through having tea
In the afternoon, so nice to see you coming back in this town again...

Ah but it's all changed winter turned on a man
Came down on day when no-one was looking and it
Stole away the land, people running scared, losing hands
Dodging shadows of falling sand, buildings standing like empty shells
And nobody...helping no-one else
Young child with his hands high, ain't able to see no reason why...no

But he remembers how it used to be, back in the old days,
So nice to see you coming back in this town again
It's nice to see a friendly face come peeping through
You'd better know what you're going through now
You came back here to find your home is a black horizon
That you don't recognize, evil destruction has taken everything
You'd better walk on the side while you're still walking
Just keep on walking on down the street keep your distance
From the people you meet. Oh Lord and you'd better watch your eyes
'Cause if smoke gets in them, baby you won't rise again.
Where's it leading to freedom at what cost
People needing more and more and it's all getting lost
I want back, I want back
Back to the time when the earth was green
And there was no high walls and the sea was clean
Don't stop that sun to shine, it's not yours or mine...no.
5th April 2007 12:17 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

Yes I think we can. More importantly, I believe we should. Our long term problems with the middle east can be fixed by this.

We need patience over politics.

Something the dirty, slimy, commie democrats will not agree to.

5th April 2007 12:20 PM
jb
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Yes I think we can. More importantly, I believe we should. Our long term problems with the middle east can be fixed by this.

We need patience over politics.

Something the dirty, slimy, commie democrats will not agree to.

You should know the score by now,
you're are native New Yorker, native New Yorker.
5th April 2007 12:23 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'd love to see the old ruins...

I was in Turkey after college for about a week. I was only ably to see the west coast but the people were very friendly. Ephesus is an amazing site.
5th April 2007 12:25 PM
jb
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

I was in Turkey after college for about a week. I was only ably to see the west coast but the people were very friendly. Ephesus is an amazing site.

Many Israelis visit Turkey...it has become a bit laess safe, but historically, a muslim country which tolerated Jewish tourists...
5th April 2007 12:33 PM
monkey_man
quote:
jb wrote:

Many Israelis visit Turkey...it has become a bit laess safe, but historically, a muslim country which tolerated Jewish tourists...

While I was in Turkey, I met some travelers heading to Haifa. It made me wish I had more time to head to Israel. I needed to get back to Greece to meet some friends.
5th April 2007 12:55 PM
glencar
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

While I was in Turkey, I met some travelers heading to Haifa. It made me wish I had more time to head to Israel. I needed to get back to Greece to meet some friends.

You world travelers you! I was sort of hoping teh Stones tour would vsiit Eastern Europe in conjunction with my previously chosen days off but it was not to be. The furthest east I've been is Rome.
5th April 2007 01:12 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
You world travelers you! I was sort of hoping teh Stones tour would vsiit Eastern Europe in conjunction with my previously chosen days off but it was not to be. The furthest east I've been is Rome.

You're missing out, there is lots to see out there! There is an amazing Roman ruin in Morocco called Volubilis. It makes the stuff in Turkey seem puny.
5th April 2007 01:15 PM
Starbuck i've been to volubilis. fabulous site. the ruins are preserved perfectly...if memory serves, they filmed scenes from the last temptation of christ there.

rome is the most incredible city i've ever seen. jerusalem is a close second.
5th April 2007 01:22 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i've been to volubilis. fabulous site. the ruins are preserved perfectly...if memory serves, they filmed scenes from the last temptation of christ there.

rome is the most incredible city i've ever seen. jerusalem is a close second.

Volubilis is well preserved considering the mosaics are completely exposed to the elements. Where else in Morocco did you go?
I've only been to Rome for a few days. . . would love to get back there. I haven't been to Israel yet.
5th April 2007 01:28 PM
glencar Rome is my favorite city. My Dad served in Morocco in the 1950's. Says it was the hottest place he's ever been. The Baseball HOF used to have an exhibit of US troops playing baseball in teh 50's in Morocco but I don't think it's still there.
5th April 2007 01:40 PM
Maxlugar I have never left New York. Don't plan to.
5th April 2007 01:41 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

Nothing. That is part of the problem.
5th April 2007 01:42 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I have never left New York. Don't plan to.

We Know!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)