ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A different new Stones article I copied......From Ian Return to archive
May 18th, 2005 08:34 AM
IanBillen
Here is a post and a very good article I seen on a different messageboard and many thanks to Mr. StonesDoug himself for finding it: I think most of all this is merely coincidence but it is positive in most respects and it's an enjoyable read. Ian

NY Daily News

Jokes a Stones throwaway

Keith Richards & Co. still have fun.

The Rolling Stones never get enough credit for being the funniest great rock 'n' roll band.
Take last week at Lincoln Center, when they unveiled a world tour by singing a new song called "Oh No, Not You Again."

This may be the best self-referential music joke since Jerry Garcia and some friends named their string band after the song "Old and in the Way."

And most people, naturally, missed the Stones' joke, because they think the only story about the Stones is that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts are over 60. People who don't know much about the Stones find their ages more interesting than the fact they can still play great rock 'n' roll.

Yes, I know some Stones fans say the band peaked live on the '72 tour with Mick Taylor and peaked on record with "Beggars Banquet" (1968) and "Let It Bleed" (1969).

Now it's true they've never matched those two records. How many bands have? But if their last four tours are any indication, they still play with fire.

No, they aren't U2, whose new material can eclipse their older stuff. But they still make great songs come alive.

They don't sell out stadiums because middle-aged people have too much extra money. They sell out stadiums because people who don't go to rock shows anymore still go to see the Stones, and because you don't mind paying for a great steak when you know you're going to get one.

And as with all great rock acts from the Beatles to Springsteen and yes, even U2, the Stones wouldn't have gotten this far without a sense of humor.

The only question with humor in Stones songs, really, is where to start. "Dear Doctor," about the guy whose idiot brother mercifully steals his unwanted fiancee? "Honky Tonk Women," wherein "she had to heave me right across her shoulders"?

I've always loved the postgame analysis on a seduction in "The Spider and the Fly": "She told me later she's a machine operator/She said she liked the way I held the microphone."

Thirty-six years ago they were writing about "scented jasmine tea." "Oh No, Not You Again" discusses lemon Jell-O. Are these guys not having a good time?

The Stones don't get full credit in a couple of areas, including their ability to slide from "Jumping Jack Flash" to a multilayered ballad like "Wild Horses," "Angie" or "Lady Jane." But they're never far from a line where an hour later you remember it and laugh all over again.

"I went down to the demonstration/To get my fair share of abuse."

People who don't know the Stones tend to think they only laugh all the way to the bank.

Maybe they do. But they distribute the wealth. If they get the silver, we all get the gold.
May 18th, 2005 08:52 AM
Gazza Not bad. Thanks Ian

(although it was "cousin Lou" who ran off with the fiancee in 'Dear Doctor', not the writer's brother, but thats a minor point - pedantic bastard that I am...)
May 18th, 2005 09:31 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
Not bad. Thanks Ian

(although it was "cousin Lou" who ran off with the fiancee in 'Dear Doctor', not the writer's brother, but thats a minor point - pedantic bastard that I am...)

Actually, now that you mentioned it, wasn't it cousin Luke? not Lou?

Ian
May 18th, 2005 10:03 AM
Gazza I've sang along with many a Stones lyric over the last 25-30 years with my own version of the lyrics which are in probability gibberish without the benefit of a lyric sheet, but I've always heard that one as "Lou".

At the risk of being sued or fired for providing this link, here's the lyrics as transcribed "<<<<<< over there"

http://www.keno.org/stones_lyrics/dear_doctor.htm
May 18th, 2005 10:03 AM
wgwalsh Very good perspective Mr. Ian.
May 18th, 2005 10:55 PM
IanBillen [quote]wgwalsh wrote:
Very good perspective Mr. Ian.

Oh I see. I would of taken your word for it Gazza,....I am sure you are about ready to fall out from shock...about right now.

Ian
May 18th, 2005 10:58 PM
IanBillen [quote]wgwalsh wrote:
Very good perspective Mr. Ian.

Thank you Thank you Mr. wgwalsh. So nice to see you again at The Rocks Off palace. I don't see you post that often anymore. As for the Dear Doctor Lyrics...I have been wrong before.
By the way, So has Gazza. Just ask the dude and he will tell you that!!!!

And it IS "cousin Lou". Not Lukey as I once heard it.
-I got virgin ears but a whore of a pee-pee-

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
May 18th, 2005 11:24 PM
glencar That article is the best thing you've ever posted, IanBillen! Let's hope you post more imported articles & fewer odd fantasies. Thanks in advance!
May 18th, 2005 11:42 PM
MrPleasant Usually the richest, most rewarding albums go through the whole emotional spectrum. Thus Blonde On Blonde, Live At Leeds, Ramones (self-titled), etc., all have their share of humor.

Aftermath is one of the funniest albums of all time.
May 18th, 2005 11:45 PM
glencar Between The Buttons?
May 18th, 2005 11:46 PM
MrPleasant Absolutely.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour