ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young (NSC) Return to archive
May 18th, 2005 03:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Neil Young reveals fondness for rap at L.A. awards
By Dean Goodman
Tue May 17

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Neil Young, rap star?
Hours before the veteran rocker was due to deliver his next album to his label, he took a bow in Beverly Hills for his diverse body of work on Monday, and jokingly threatened to venture into the urban field.

Young, 59, was honored with the Founders Award by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), which decreed that his "musical legacy will continue to rock the free world and enrich generations to come."

The tribute took place during the performing rights group's 22nd annual pop music awards, which honored the writers and copyright owners of the most performed songs of 2004. Perhaps because many of ASCAP's top 50 songs were from the urban genre -- headed by hip-hop duo OutKast's song of the year, "Hey Ya!" -- Young declared his love for rap music.

"Most things I soak up, and it comes out here and there, so keep your eyes peeled," he said to laughter among the black-tie audience at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. "Anyway, I guess my mission now is to boldly go where no hippie has ever gone before."

But the loudest applause followed his revelation that he will deliver his latest album to Warner Music Group's Reprise Records on Tuesday morning. It would mark his follow-up to "Greendale," which came out in August 2003.

Young was introduced by his old label boss, former Warner Bros. Records chairman Mo Ostin, who said that working with Young posed its fair share of challenges. He recalled that the environmentally conscious rocker wanted to issue his 1972 album "Harvest" wrapped in biodegradable paper that would turn to dust after a few years.

Young did not perform at the event. Instead, folk duo Indigo Girls delivered a truncated version of his epic 1969 song "Down By the River."

Also honored on Monday was songwriter/producer Jermaine Dupri, who received the Golden Note Award, in part for "impacting the heart, soul and sound of pop music worldwide." Mariah Carey, who sheepishly admitted that she was represented by rival performing rights group BMI, turned up to sing Dupri's praises, as did fellow R&B star Usher.

Scott Storch was named songwriter of the year, primarily for his work on the Beyonce Knowles hits "Baby Boy," "Me, Myself & I" and "Naughty Girl." Motown veterans Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson sang their tune "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," which was a big hit for Michael McDonald.

Reuters/VNU

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour