ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones To Play Dubai...Definate Return to archive
May 16th, 2005 03:00 AM
Voodoo Scrounge My colleague has just returned from a business trip to Dubai where music officials are very excited about the Stones comming to town. The plan is for them to play Nad al Sheba race track at some point during the tour.

Dont know any more than that yet.
May 16th, 2005 04:08 AM
Zack I am SO there, damn the cost.
May 16th, 2005 09:07 AM
Gazza bring your tape recorder Zack, because otherwise thats going to be a hard show to get a recording of!
May 16th, 2005 01:43 PM
Joey
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
My colleague has just returned from a business trip to Dubai where music officials are very excited about the Stones comming to town. The plan is for them to play Nad al Sheba race track at some point during the tour.

Dont know any more than that yet.

Scroungey ...........................

Where is this place ' Dubai ' ?!?!

...is it near Rio ?!?!
May 16th, 2005 03:01 PM
gimmekeef Wont it be like 150 degrees there next summer?..Plus if they catch you recording they'll either cut off your hands or cane the skin off your ass......
May 16th, 2005 03:16 PM
telecaster This is true

They pay Tiger Woods $1 mill to show up once a year
for their golf tourney

They are running out of oil and want to be "western" now

Book it
May 16th, 2005 03:39 PM
Angiegirl So, what's the "These ticket prices are insane"-thread gonna look like on the Dubai Stones board I wonder??
May 16th, 2005 03:46 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Gazza wrote:
bring your tape recorder Zack, because otherwise thats going to be a hard show to get a recording of!

No with that "instant cds"!
May 16th, 2005 04:38 PM
Lazy Bones The daughter of a retired co-worker of mine lives in Dubai. I wonder if she plans on going with recorder...

I can imagine the prices as it's oil giants country. They make the multi-millionaires of California look poor. Many of these people are richer than the Stones, themselves!

Definately, a "rattle yer jewelry" crowd...
May 16th, 2005 08:03 PM
Soldatti Dubai?
This tour will last forever as it seems...
May 16th, 2005 08:10 PM
corgi37 That would be right. They play to the bling-bling camel jockeys, but ignore their poorer, southern, well-hung dedicated & loyal Aussie fans.

How appropriate.
May 16th, 2005 09:16 PM
glencar Corgi, I spoke to a pilot from Oz tonight & he recommended saving Sydney for the end of a visit because once I see it, I'll not want to see the rest of the country. I told him my possible itinerary & he glided over Perth so I guess that's not worth the time?
May 17th, 2005 01:32 AM
stonedinaustralia glencar - where you go down here and what you want to do depends so much on what you are into

Sydney is a great fast moving cosmopolitan city - but aside from the harbour ,the bridge and the opera house there's not a lot to see or do that you couldn't in any other great fast moving cosmopolitan city

i mean - i'd recommend central australia if you really want to see the "outback" - now there you have sights you will not see anywhere else in the world

if you're a wine buff type then head to the hunter valley in new south wales or the barrossa valley here in south australia

the great barrier reef is one of the natural wonders of the world if you're into that sort of thing

as i say the best places to go and things to see depend entirely on what it is that interests you

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
May 17th, 2005 02:45 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Dubai is situated in the United Arab Emrates. It is a very up and coming country in both the tourism market and the Raw materials industry.
The country is vastly oil rich and although their supply is not dwindling, they are trying their hardest to be more westernised.
Its true- They have a golf course in the middle of the desert. They play a tournament there every year (The Dubai Classic) and pay professionals an absolute fortune to play in it. Tiger wood was paid 2 million dollars in 2003.
The population is a 50 50 mix of Arabs and..well..immigrants. However the immigrants are super rich and only live their for tax benefits.
It gets so hot over there in summer time that even the locals move to places like Iran where it is much cooler. However they do have air conditioned streets (Cold water is sprayed in extremely fine mist form onto the streets from overhead pipes), the lowest crime rate in the world (yes, they will chop your hands off for stealing) and a beautiful landscape.
And now they got the stones.
Just heard that the Nad al Sheba race track is only a very dodgy rumour. Could be an arena (Air conditioned)
May 17th, 2005 02:47 AM
corgi37 Sydney is ok, i dont mind it, but like SIA said, depends what you want. The city itself is a bitch to get around in. Its so spread out and chaotic. Their clubs are vastly over priced and over rated. Melbourne is the rock capital of Oz!

Perth is a fantastic place, but i guess you only have so much time and money. Stick to the east coast.

Melbourne is a totally unique city. Classy and fun. And easy to get around. Trains, trams, buses - Depending on time of year, you can go to the snow 1 day, then go surfing the next. We got wineries too, and boy, Rutherglen is a great one! Walking down Fitzroy St on a nice day, or cruising up Chapel St on a Saturday night is the stuff of legends!

Also, forget Brisbane, and just head to the Gold Coast. You probably wont want to leave.

The most important thing to realise is Melbourne has the best beer in the country. Well, Tasmania beer is great, but you wont want to go there.

Here's the rub.

Sth Oz is ok, but chances are, you wont be able to get there. Hit Melbourne 1st, say, 3 days, then catch a bus to Canberra. Not much to do, but you see the parliament and the war museums. You will be able to see how close we came to eating sushi and having our eyelids altered. As you know, WW2 started in '39, NOT 41!!!!

You could catch a plane to Sydney (40 minutes) or get another bus to see some more of the landscape. Say, 3-4 days in Sydney. That'll be enough, trust me. Go to the Rocks, climb the bridge, hang around Oxford St. Then fly to the Gold Coast (1 hour). So much to see. Head to Byron Bay, Tweed Heads, maybe further into the hinterland. Perfect weather and perfect chicks. Bit of a tourist trap, what with all the theme parks, but fun anyway.
May 17th, 2005 03:40 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

The population is a 50 50 mix of Arabs and..well..immigrants. However the immigrants are super rich and only live their for tax benefits.

not entirely true VS - i have a friend who just returned from a three week holiday there

there are plenty of "immigrants" as you call them they're not all super rich - my friends brother in law for example -he's australian and a pilot for the Emirate air-lines - he makes an excellent living no doubt but not to the level of super rich - he still has to work

the super rich are the natives who are in the upper echelons of society - if you are are related to a sheik in anyway then you should never have to work a day in your life

May 17th, 2005 06:57 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Put it this way. You wont be living in Dubai if you work in mcdonalds
May 17th, 2005 07:12 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Zack wrote:
,damn the cost.

That's what I like to hear!!! Good attitude.

May 17th, 2005 10:25 PM
glencar Thanks SIA & corgi! I spent a bit of time with a tourbook & I'm thinking Ayers Rock, Gold Coast & Sydney & Melbourne & of course, Canberra. I wouldn't mind Tasmania too but I can only spend two weeks there & the flights are 21 hours or so.
May 18th, 2005 08:28 AM
Zack
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

That's what I like to hear!!! Good attitude.

Thanks.

I was in Cambodia during the Bridges tour.
I was in Burkina Faso for NS.
I was in Mali for Licks.

I ain't missing this one. It's still a four hour flight from Colombo.

BTW, can you get a drink in Dubai?
May 18th, 2005 08:47 AM
Gazza In your hotel, you can OK, from what I believe.

May 18th, 2005 09:41 AM
Joey
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Dubai is situated in the United Arab Emrates. It is a very up and coming country in both the tourism market and the Raw materials industry.
(yes, they will chop your hands off for stealing) and a beautiful landscape.
And now they got the stones.
Just heard that the Nad al Sheba race track is only a very dodgy rumour. Could be an arena (Air conditioned)

Thanks Scroungey !!!

What do they do to an individual if they catch you stealing posts ?

Shiver ........................................

Snarky ! ™
May 18th, 2005 11:16 PM
glencar Curtains For Joey!
May 19th, 2005 03:12 AM
Voodoo Scrounge With reagrds to drinking, Gazza is right, you can do so in your hotel. However it is illegal to drink alcohol on the streets and shop keepers and restauranters get very offended if you ask them for alcohol.

Truly a wonderful place because

No drunks on the street.
No drugs on the street (or anywhere else)
No crime
A very religous hospitable population
Hot

The Stones!!!
May 19th, 2005 04:59 AM
Gazza that plus great golf courses.....
May 19th, 2005 06:48 AM
Monkey Woman On the other hand:

- no bikinis on the beach
- no kissing in public
- newspapers and videos you bring with you can be confiscated if they show "erotic" scenes
- hazardous traffic becausedrivers (esp. truckers and taxis) don't respect speed limits or road signs
- if you are HIV positive, you are liable to be forbidden to enter the country (and deported if you are found so while in the country)
- homosexuals beware: it's forbidden to be gay and can lend you in prison or worse
- non-married couples beware: it's unlawful too, you can get 3 years in prison for that

At least, rock'n'roll is not forbidden. But the Stones'd rather not use the tongue rider topless manga-girl in their videos again!
May 19th, 2005 08:02 AM
Voodoo Scrounge All of thouse points you just made are true to an extent. However I have a few comments to make in Dubai's defence.
Its not just Dubai which has a problem with traffic. Im sure many of us on the site have been to countries whose drivers are terrible. A few Ive been to are
Spain
Turkey
Italy
France
Belgium
Slovakia
Czech Republic
Poland to name just a few.

The HIV thing is true aswel. However you will only be refused entry to the country if you plan on staying for more than two months. However, lots of countries like Britain and the US will advise you to have an AIDS/HIV test before you travel to save wasting time.
Dubai does not have an AIDs problem with its population niether does it have a HIV problem with its people. So it stands to reason that they would not want foreign travellers bringing the desease into their country.

Homosexuality is illegal in Dubai as Dubai is a very strict religous country. Many Asian and Arab countries are the same. Their holy scriptures denounce Homosexuality and they live by that law. The Holy scriptures also denounce alcohol. That is why it is so hard to get a drink. Dont forget, being accepting of Homosexuality is a very new idea. It was still illegal in the UK until the 60s. Maybe they will learn to change.

The non married couple thing only applies to permanent residents of the Country and does not apply to tourist. They are a country which has begun to rely on their tourism industry more and more over the years and have learned to be accepting of other faiths and cultures.

To tar Dubai and other countries like it with the same brush and imply through you post that the country is not civilised and alien is bordering on Rasist and Naive.

So there!
(PS. im not angry realy)
May 19th, 2005 08:46 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
On the other hand:

- no bikinis on the beach
- no kissing in public
- newspapers and videos you bring with you can be confiscated if they show "erotic" scenes
- hazardous traffic becausedrivers (esp. truckers and taxis) don't respect speed limits or road signs
- if you are HIV positive, you are liable to be forbidden to enter the country (and deported if you are found so while in the country)
- homosexuals beware: it's forbidden to be gay and can lend you in prison or worse
- non-married couples beware: it's unlawful too, you can get 3 years in prison for that

At least, rock'n'roll is not forbidden. But the Stones'd rather not use the tongue rider topless manga-girl in their videos again!

That's worse than hell!
BTW, Stones could change their lyrics, for sure...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour