ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Tour on Instant Live discs? Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 16th, 2005 09:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
$25 IS A BARGAIN ,but the point I was making was that this is the Stones and I'd expect something like $40 - $50 for a 2cd .

I dont think so. CDs in the US basically cost in dollars what we pay in sterling in the UK. They're FAR cheaper. If the Stones sold their recently released OFFICIAL double CD at the price of a single one then they would release something like this at a similar price. If theyre selling at $50, thats even more than I'd expect to pay off a bootlegger. Even bootleggers are feeling the pinch nowadays with the proliferation of CDRs and torrent sites etc. and bootlegs compared to ordinary releases are generally NOT as expensive as they used to be back in the 70s and 80's when you really had to look to find them, because nowadays everyone can make their own!

If youre going to over price these CDs, with the sheer number of shows available, you are going to just scare people off and most people will just burn copies instead.

I would expect the Stones to keep the prices for such releases in the same ballpark as everyone else did. They would have done some research to check how practical such a venture would be
May 16th, 2005 09:59 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Personally as a collector I'd want every show, but I wouldnt BUY every show. If they did say 100 shows I'd probably try and arrange a 'pool' without a few other like minded fans where we would buy a certain amount of different shows each and trade for the rest.

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't feel like spending $$$ for a complete set but I do hope to do some exchanges with others in order to get a complete set. Hmmm...
May 17th, 2005 07:11 AM
Gazza the more I think about this, the more sense it makes for the band to make money this way (not that they need my advice)

Say they do 100 shows and make them all available for $25 each (plus postage of course)

If even 1,000 people buy them ALL (and the size of the Stones fan base and the wealth of many of them suggests thats not unreasonable) then thats a gross of $2,500,000.

They could even make a shitload more like The Who did on their "Encore Series" by doing a special autographed limited edition of a couple of hundred and charge a bit extra for the privilege of having the band autograph each copy.

Then there are people who will buy only a few shows. On average, maybe a 1,000 of those per show and thats another two a half million dollars.

A gross of over $5 million with not exactly huge overheads (The Who and Pearl Jam releases had basically the same minimalist artwork on each CD with only the location and track listing different), all for the effort of signing a couple of hundred autographs.

No contractual problems with Virgin either as they're out of contract after the new studio album comes out.

Alternatively they could just release another pointless live album from the tour that sells about three copies.... how much do you think they made from "Live Licks" and "No Security"?

May 17th, 2005 08:11 AM
gimmekeef Another option is to have shows available next day for download via Itunes or some other service.That would get more exposure to out of market fans although might be more costly to buy?....
May 17th, 2005 08:32 AM
Jair
quote:
TooTough wrote:
Pearl Jam did that on their European Tour in 2000. Every show was featured. The sb was not perfect, but ok.

Yes, until now there are lots os PJ live records here where I live. The records sux and in stores they are in sale (off), nobody buys that crap.
May 17th, 2005 09:09 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
masoudi wrote:
Hi Jerry

i saw your email re the Instant Live cd's. i am also a huge Kiss fan and saw two shows in Australia on the last tour. I have heard of the instant Live cds. i am hoping you will be interested in trading for a few of the Best Kiss Cds you got from the last tour. I see you got all of them and i hope there is 2-3 you can pick out which stand out. i dont think Instant live made any of the Aussie shows available only the US ones??

i have a huge Stones dvd list with all the best stuff available. if you are interested in trading a few dvds for some of your kiss cds then please email me at

[email protected]

Look forward to your reply

Cheers, Brendon

Hi Brendon - I'll send you an email!

Jerry
May 17th, 2005 11:17 AM
Dan Metallica also made most of their last tour available for download in either FLAC or MP3 format for like $12.99 They changed the set around a lot and must've recognized that no one really cares about St Anger either because they only played 1 or 2 songs a night off it.
May 17th, 2005 11:52 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Gazza wrote:
the more I think about this, the more sense it makes for the band to make money this way (not that they need my advice)

Say they do 100 shows and make them all available for $25 each (plus postage of course)

If even 1,000 people buy them ALL (and the size of the Stones fan base and the wealth of many of them suggests thats not unreasonable) then thats a gross of $2,500,000.

They could even make a shitload more like The Who did on their "Encore Series" by doing a special autographed limited edition of a couple of hundred and charge a bit extra for the privilege of having the band autograph each copy.

Then there are people who will buy only a few shows. On average, maybe a 1,000 of those per show and thats another two a half million dollars.

A gross of over $5 million with not exactly huge overheads (The Who and Pearl Jam releases had basically the same minimalist artwork on each CD with only the location and track listing different), all for the effort of signing a couple of hundred autographs.

No contractual problems with Virgin either as they're out of contract after the new studio album comes out.

Alternatively they could just release another pointless live album from the tour that sells about three copies.... how much do you think they made from "Live Licks" and "No Security"?

Gazza,

That's exactly what I was thinking...Plus, knowing the Stones, if they want to have another live album from this tour they will simply release what they consider to be the "Best of" all of these albums knowing full well that 99% of the public will not buy all these shows...
May 17th, 2005 12:08 PM
Dan The best way to do it would be to make them available right after the show to get the impulse purchase and also so people can hang around in line for 20 mins rather than wait in line with the engine running. And if KISS can sell 1-2000 a night when they barely halfway fill an amphitheatre, imagine what the STones could do, especially since all the shows will be "amateur" recorded anyway.
May 17th, 2005 12:10 PM
Gazza Indeed

they'd

a) make more money from an "Instant Live" series than from a live album

b) the series wouldnt be counted as a commercial release as it wouldnt be issued publicly, so no more crap reviews about them releasing another pointless live album with the same songs over and over again, blah blah blah.

c) alternatively, they could donate the entire profits to charity and get some nice publicity
[Edited by Gazza]
May 17th, 2005 12:14 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
c) alternatively, they could donate the entire profits to charity and get some nice publicity

that's what phish does (did).

[Edited by mac_daddy]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour