ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Tour on Instant Live discs? Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 14th, 2005 10:22 AM
Jerry in Boston I took my chances with Ticket-bastard online for the Aug 23 Fenway show and on my confirmation page there was the "Instant Live" logo! I am also a KISS fan and their last tour was done by Instant Live (and yep, I bought all the shows). This could be fun if the Stones are doing it too. I can't see why the logo would be on the confirmation page for a Stones ticket if the company is not some how involved witht the tour.
May 14th, 2005 10:31 AM
Gazza whats that? They sell live soundboard recordings of each show officially?

The Who did that too on their last two tours (although with them charities benefitted). I wouldnt be surprised from a business point of view if the Stones did it.

Might balls up our plans to torrent as many 2005-06 shows as possible on this site though as we couldnt and wouldnt distribute legally released material, although we could torrent audience recordings of the shows I guess.
May 14th, 2005 10:49 AM
full moon The Black Crowes are doing this currently.......The sound is great.....
May 14th, 2005 10:53 AM
Phog The Pixies did this last year and every show I've heard has sounded great. If the Stones sell these shows I'll be pleased as hell.
May 14th, 2005 11:00 AM
Gazza gulp....100 plus shows at £15/$30 apiece.....
May 14th, 2005 11:18 AM
wisertime
quote:
Jerry in Boston wrote:
I took my chances with Ticket-bastard online for the Aug 23 Fenway show and on my confirmation page there was the "Instant Live" logo! I am also a KISS fan and their last tour was done by Instant Live (and yep, I bought all the shows). This could be fun if the Stones are doing it too. I can't see why the logo would be on the confirmation page for a Stones ticket if the company is not some how involved witht the tour.

Hi Jerry, you bought all the Kiss last tour shows ???!!!
It's the same set-list on each one !!!!!
May 14th, 2005 11:44 AM
Madafaka Are expensive these discs?
May 14th, 2005 01:03 PM
Stray Cat UK Not normally expensive,but....................it's the Stones,so probably overpriced and over produced !!!!!!!
May 14th, 2005 02:30 PM
KeithRichards It would be fantastic if they do that! I hope it's true!
May 14th, 2005 10:40 PM
glencar I'd love this if it turns out to actually happen.
May 14th, 2005 11:32 PM
Some Guy
quote:
full moon wrote:
The Black Crowes are doing this currently.......The sound is great.....

I got a copy of that today. He seems to have forgot some of the words.
May 15th, 2005 09:31 AM
Gazza
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Are expensive these discs?

The Who shows worked out at about £15/$25+ each before shipping for a 2-CD set.
Cover art was pretty minimal but they were a nice collection. And if you bought them all, you could pay extra and get a special commemorative signed box set.

That said, the Who tour was about 20 shows. The Stones' tour will probably be about 110!
[Edited by Gazza]
May 15th, 2005 09:33 AM
glencar The Stones would be good to maybe every few shows as the setlist changes. That'll save some $.
May 15th, 2005 10:24 AM
TooTough Pearl Jam did that on their European Tour in 2000. Every show was featured. The sb was not perfect, but ok.
May 15th, 2005 10:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Stones would be good to maybe every few shows as the setlist changes. That'll save some $.

Personally as a collector I'd want every show, but I wouldnt BUY every show. If they did say 100 shows I'd probably try and arrange a 'pool' without a few other like minded fans where we would buy a certain amount of different shows each and trade for the rest.
May 15th, 2005 11:17 AM
Flairville Between us all I'm sure we could have every show without having to pay loads of ££ or $$. It sounds like a great concept!
May 15th, 2005 12:57 PM
Dan I doubt the Stones would do this but it would be nice! Maybe someone should explain to the band that they can make a lot more money off that concept than with something like Live Licks. Its also helps tours that only sell 5-8000 be incredibly financially successfull because they are grossing 50-100k additional each night just off the CDs. Or what the Stones should do is take it a step further and burn DVDs right off the video screen system!
May 15th, 2005 02:06 PM
glimmertwin50 I'm sure if they don't do this there will be plenty of unauthorized dvds and cds in circulation. There just won't be many soundboards in circulation for a while - but eventually there will be.
May 15th, 2005 04:46 PM
Soldatti The idea will not work with the Stones, they can't release 120 CD's from each show of the tour.
May 16th, 2005 09:10 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
wisertime wrote:

Hi Jerry, you bought all the Kiss last tour shows ???!!!
It's the same set-list on each one !!!!!

Actually, it's not the exact same setlist on every show from the last KISS tour! Most of the shows do have the same setlist however several shows featured rarely performed songs. Two shows for example featured a song that had until then never been done live. Two shows were filmed for a DVD as well and featured an extended setlist with additional songs not performed on the rest of the tour.

Having said that, yes, it's true that most of the KISS tour featured a standard setlist. However, each performance is unique in its own way. Paul Stanley frequently messes around with his melodies and it's a bit of treat to hear a different take on an old standard. I'm a huge KISS fan, have been collecting KISS shows for over 20 years, and can therefore hear differences in night-to-night performances of the same song. Some nights on the tour Simmons' voice sounded like crap... some nights on the tour the band was completely tight and made few, if any, noticable mistakes whereas on another night they stumbled on a few tracks.

Collecting a whole tour can be expensive but each show is different in its own way - even if it is the same setlist.
May 16th, 2005 09:16 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Not normally expensive,but....................it's the Stones,so probably overpriced and over produced !!!!!!!

Hmmm... well, the discs are purchased before the show and you're given a coupon to redeem afterwards. After the show you line up at the recording truck parked outside the venue and within about 15 to 30 mintues after the show ends they start handing out the discs! The line goes very, VERY fast, by the way. So as for "over produced" aspect, they really don't have any time to fidget with anything since the show is made available to you to take home on your way out!

As for price, I am of the opinion that $25 (which was the price for every 2-disc KISS show on the last tour) is a bargain for an excellent sounding concert. Especially since it's that actual show you witnessed! It's a fantastic idea and the best souvenir to take home from a show - again, in my opinion.
May 16th, 2005 09:22 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The idea will not work with the Stones, they can't release 120 CD's from each show of the tour.

I should point out that on the last KISS tour they didn't make every show available on discs. They made MOST shows available. The shows that were made available were in certain venues that were all owned by the same company. It seemed to be a business deal with that particular venue owner. I believe the company was "Clear Channel" but can't be certain. Having said that there were about 40 shows available on disc from about a 50 show tour.
May 16th, 2005 09:22 AM
cooper I would buy them and i think it is a shame that all groups dont do this. it would be the end of bootlegers@!
May 16th, 2005 09:25 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The idea will not work with the Stones, they can't release 120 CD's from each show of the tour.

yeah they can, because they have 120 different audiences and out of 40,000 people they could easily sell a couple of thousand copies immediately after the show at $25 for a 2-Cd set and more later by mail order. They'd do it no problem. If people are willing to spend $40 on a t-shirt or $50 on some stupid doll that looks like Charlie then they'd conceivably think nothing of paying $25 for a show they've just enjoyed.

Plus the number of idiots like me who would want every one of the shows is minimal. Its aimed at people who will pick and choose what show(s) they want
[Edited by Gazza]
May 16th, 2005 09:35 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Gazza wrote:

yeah they can, because they have 120 different audiences and out of 40,000 people they could easily sell a couple of thousand copies immediately after the show at $25 for a 2-Cd set and more later by mail order. They'd do it no problem. If people are willing to spend $40 on a t-shirt or $50 on some stupid doll that looks like Charlie then they'd conceivably think nothing of paying $25 for a show they've just enjoyed.

Plus the number of idiots like me who would want every one of the shows is minimal. Its aimed at people who will pick and choose what show(s) they want
[Edited by Gazza]

Exactly! You're the Stones "idiot" who'd want all the shows and I was the KISS "idiot" who wanted all of theirs. LOL

You're also right about the merch pricing compared to the Instant Live discs souvenir. $25 for a copy of the show you just attended is a STEAL when compared to a $40 t-shirt that really doesn't "do" anything but look cool. LOL I'm not a t-shirt buyer anyway - I'm too old to go around wearing Stones or KISS shirts at this point in life anyway. I'd much rather buy the show and listen to it and enjoy again and again for years to come, especially considering the price I paid for the ticket!
May 16th, 2005 09:50 AM
wisertime I bought Black Crowes shows to Instant Live, not too much (5 for the moment). Some Crowes fans don't want to pay 25$ for a cd, they prefer to have the audience recordings for free.
When I see that the set-list is interesting, I buy the discs. Otherwise, I prefer a taper's recording which is allowed by the group.
May 16th, 2005 01:08 PM
Dan
quote:
cooper wrote:
I would buy them and i think it is a shame that all groups dont do this. it would be the end of bootlegers@!

Not really - bought one KISS show - didnt even attend, just gave the money to a friend, I traded for about ten others most of which I never listened to. Also traded for a bunch of Pixies discs too. They change the setlist around a lot. Mostly the same 30 out of 35 songs but change the order a lot.

Would LOVE it if the STones did this, I would just stay home and get one of you guys to pick me up some discs.
May 16th, 2005 02:47 PM
gimmekeef Its a great idea and I'm sure we alone would gobble up the whole set.Of course after the Rocks off edit I'd be suspicious the boys would have the warhorses pre-edited and pre-recorded and just drop in the 2-3 different songs from that nights show and burn em...Heck they'd be available after the first hour then!
May 16th, 2005 03:15 PM
Stray Cat UK I didn't realise you could purchase them at the gig,
although I doubt the Stones would let out recordings without doctoring them. I hope I'm wrong.

$25 IS A BARGAIN ,but the point I was making was that this is the Stones and I'd expect something like $40 - $50 for a 2cd .

Don't get me wrong ,I'd still pay for a show I'd attended or unusual set list...........well all of them actually.

sc uk
May 16th, 2005 08:41 PM
masoudi Hi Jerry

i saw your email re the Instant Live cd's. i am also a huge Kiss fan and saw two shows in Australia on the last tour. I have heard of the instant Live cds. i am hoping you will be interested in trading for a few of the Best Kiss Cds you got from the last tour. I see you got all of them and i hope there is 2-3 you can pick out which stand out. i dont think Instant live made any of the Aussie shows available only the US ones??

i have a huge Stones dvd list with all the best stuff available. if you are interested in trading a few dvds for some of your kiss cds then please email me at

[email protected]

Look forward to your reply

Cheers, Brendon
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour