ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger at Cannes Festival tonight Return to archive
17th May 2006 07:03 AM
Jeep According noon Canal+ TV News (France), Mick 'll be in Cannes tonight for the screening of the "Da Vinci Code" (and of course la "Montée des Marches", climbing the stairs to the Palais on the red carpet among other VIP).
17th May 2006 07:16 AM
FotiniD Wonder if he'll make any Keith references to the reporters, while on the red carpet.
17th May 2006 07:28 AM
LadyJane
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Wonder if he'll make any Keith references to the reporters, while on the red carpet.

A public statement of support and concern would be MOST appropriate. LONG overdue...imho.

LJ.
17th May 2006 08:38 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

A public statement of support and concern would be MOST appropriate. LONG overdue...imho.

LJ.

Agreed!

17th May 2006 09:37 AM
FotiniD Well none of the other Stones has said anything on the matter - excluding supposedly Ronnie telling the coconut story very early on.

I think they've been in a no-win situation here, that is, if they had commented on Keith while things were uncertain it'd cause even more bad rumours etc.. Perhaps it's time now though, yep.

We'll just have to wait and see, although I don't expect much other than "he's doing OK now", a smile and off he goes!
17th May 2006 10:39 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

And if he doesn't? More fuel for Mick-bashing, I suppose.
17th May 2006 02:48 PM
Jeep It seems that Jagger wasn't here tonight...

But Eva Herzigova and Monica Bellucci were on the red carpet :

And Marianne too :

17th May 2006 03:03 PM
BILL PERKS MARIANNE LOOKS LIKE THE SINGER FOR THE MOODY BLUES
17th May 2006 03:12 PM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
MARIANNE LOOKS LIKE THE SINGER FOR THE MOODY BLUES

Funny!!!
17th May 2006 03:15 PM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

have I not posted for years at the hatred b/t these once close friends..when are you people going to beleive me...they can't stand one another....it's all about the cash!! mick is, as I reported, livid!!! Any close friend would have made a statement of support, or even a statement down-playing the injury. Mick and Keirth have been fueding for 25 yrs and they results are Dirty Works, SW, B2B, ABB, etc..
[Edited by jb]
17th May 2006 03:26 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

have I not posted for years at the hatred b/t these once close friends..when are you people going to beleive me...they can't stand one another....it's all about the cash!! mick is, as I reported, livid!!! Any close friend would have made a statement of support, or even a statement down-playing the injury. Mick and Keirth have been fueding for 25 yrs and they results are Dirty Works, SW, B2B, ABB, etc..
[Edited by jb]

I dont see any mention of Keith occurring. we must understand, this night is about MICK, not Keith.
17th May 2006 03:28 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I dont see any mention of Keith occurring. we must understand, this night is about MICK, not Keith.

Keith, crack in the head and all, will humiliate Mick for going.
17th May 2006 03:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

see: Knighting incident
17th May 2006 03:40 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

see: Knighting incident

Correct again my friend........see also GITDW!!!
17th May 2006 03:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Correct again my friend........see also GITDW!!!

once referred to as DSITDW
17th May 2006 03:48 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

once referred to as DSITDW

See Da Vinci Code!!!
18th May 2006 10:36 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

See Da Vinci Code!!!

Apparently you dont want to:

'Da Vinci Code' movie falls flat

Too many action-killing talky bits bring controversial thriller to a dead stop

By BRUCE KIRKLAND - Toronto Sun

PLOT: An American prof specializing in religious symbols and a French cop with overlapping talents combine to solve an ancient mystery about the Holy Grail, all the while on the run from cops, criminals and religious fanatics.

Too much Opie, not enough opus: Ron Howard's film version of The Da Vinci Code tumbles into the depths of mediocrity, where best-selling books go to die.

The odds were against success. Bringing Dan Brown's Christian conspiracy novel to the screen was a daunting task, and not just because it has sold more than 40 million copies. The convoluted, 2,000-year-old tale of secrets, lies and heinous bloodshed in the aftermath of Jesus Christ's life defied a cinematic treatment. Too much info, too much chin-wag, not enough motion for a picture.

So it was preordained that Howard, a journeyman filmmaker who once played the beguiling Opie on the Andy Griffith Show, should fail to reach greatness on this journey. And he found no inventive ways to elude his fate.

There are some terrific passages in the film, mostly Hitchcockian action sequences and the quick tempo interactions of the French police. This is especially true when the superb Jean Reno is on screen as the Paris detective and religious zealot Bezu Fache (fache means cross; Bezu is a French town where the Knights Templar built a fortress). But these kinetic scenes are not enough.

The film bogs down in its explain-everything scenes and the flashbacks (in distressed film stock to ensure you know it's the past) to show us literally in images what is said in words. That takes us back to the time of Jesus, to the Crusades, or simply to Audrey Tautou's 20th century childhood.

Tom Hanks as the Harvard professor Robert Langdon, Tautou as the French police cryptologist Sophie Neveu, and Ian McKellen as the rich Holy Grail enthusiast Sir Leigh Teabing (played with a delicious flamboyance that is too little too late), are most guilty.

That is, if you don't count the role played by Paul Bettany. He is the freak albino assassin who kills as if in a horror movie and then retreats to his cell to self-flagellate in the most brutal method possible. He spouts Latin babble and murders in the name of God -- a thankless role.

Each of the others is required by the script, and by their characters, to spend endless minutes regurgitating the so-called "factual" elements of Brown's book as it pertains to secret societies, despots in the Roman Catholic Church and the "truth" about Christ's marriage to Mary Magdalene.

We won't tell people who have not read the Brown book (and there are some, despite the gigantic sales) what these facts and truths are, but suffice it to say that though they are supposed to be momentous, they come across in the film as deflated bits of religious mythology.

Readers of the book claim the film, which was adapted to the screen by Akiva Goldsman (Howard's collaborator on Cinderella Man), hews fairly closely to the spirit of Brown's creation. But, as a film alone, it stands on wobbly legs.

One of the problems is that everything is so damnably obvious. It is no big trick to figure out who in the cast is trustworthy, or who the villains are. So there is no emotional jolt when each fictional truth is revealed.

I am emphasizing "fictional truth" because this is a movie based on a book that claims authority in the presentation of many historical facts, but is often nonsense. Provocative, occasionally thought-provoking nonsense, but not fact.

It is not a sin to see the movie. It is a sin to believe that fictional movies present historical truths.

It is a greater sin that Howard lacks the panache and skill as a filmmaker to glide over laughable dialogue and preposterous myths to concentrate on the good stuff -- like solving the riddles, decoding the mysteries -- that does make The Da Vinci Code so appealing as a story.

BOTTOM LINE: Go if you must, especially if you're curious, but do not expect a flawless thriller or real religious history. While there are engaging passages, especially in the action, this hybrid film is clumsy and finally dull.

(This film is rated 14-A)
More Movie Reviews

18th May 2006 10:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jeep wrote:
It seems that Jagger wasn't here tonight...

But Eva Herzigova and Monica Bellucci were on the red carpet :

Monica looks 'well upholstered'

Eva looks like a decent feed would kill her. Who the hell let her go out dressed like that?
[Edited by Gazza]
18th May 2006 12:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

I agree 100% LJ.

not likely though. As Mick has been going out of his way to distance himself from Keith, and most notably, Keith's behavior for a few decades now. (similiarly, see: JB distancing himself from Pug)
18th May 2006 12:25 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I agree 100% LJ.

not likely though. As Mick has been going out of his way to distance himself from Keith, and most notably, Keith's behavior for a few decades now. (similiarly, see: JB distancing himself from Pug)

I see we are in agreement more and more, Sway.

Tell me. Why didn't you come to Stout to greet us??

You weren't lurking in the corner, where you????

LJ.
18th May 2006 12:32 PM
jb LJ, please remove avatar and "nearnes of you" super-imposed. It is humiliating to a once great rocker, now ballad singing , coconut tree falling, keith.
18th May 2006 12:37 PM
LadyJane My goodness, Joshy, you are VERY sassy today....(see Deleting my Threads thread)

LJ.
18th May 2006 12:39 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

I see we are in agreement more and more, Sway.

Tell me. Why didn't you come to Stout to greet us??

You weren't lurking in the corner, where you????

LJ.

LJ,
I had pre-shows to attend with my very loyal Stones friends here in NYC. I was only able to make my way into Stouts after one of the MSG shows and it was VERY, VERY late. I have been fortunate to meet a few Rocks Offers along the tour. Scope, Throbby... a few others, all very cool and very nice.
18th May 2006 12:43 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:

thought it was just a business relationship now??
18th May 2006 12:43 PM
LadyJane Scope and throbby are GREAT!!

next time!!!

LJ.
18th May 2006 12:45 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:
LJ, please remove avatar and "nearnes of you" super-imposed. It is humiliating to a once great rocker, now ballad singing , coconut tree falling, keith.

lol
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)