ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: why'd they stop doing country/acoustic songs??? Return to archive
16th May 2006 03:18 PM
Saint Sway seems like the Stones from Black & Blue on never really bothered to include country songs on their albums. Sure, theres been a few sprinkled in... "The Worst" was most notably fantastic. Mick's "Evening Gown" too. But it seems like "Spare Parts" was the last cool country song they worked up (sadly never made it to an official release)

for the country and acoustic songs gave the Beggar's > IORR albums a more laid back soulful vibe and contributed to a more rootsy sound. Whereas the B&B era on its more of a just plug in and play 2-3 chords fast vibe.

I get the feeling that Keith would love to make a Stones album with some more slowed down and rootsy numbers. Wheras I think Mick wants it all uptempo and contemporary.

I think one of the reasons so many people dismiss the Stones albums these days as throwaway's and toss-off's is because they lack those soulful country-tinged songs and the vibe that comes with them.
16th May 2006 03:20 PM
pdog They just can't write and create them like they once could. We get Biggest Mistake...
Keith still has it, but he would rather fuck around and hsave fun, which is what I think they should all be doing. Too much touring and no real studio work. Not the way to take this band into it's twilight years...
16th May 2006 03:22 PM
voodoopug I also think that Jagger wants to use the same blueprint for each album that they have used before. Keith always seems to get a slow country song (The Worst, This Place is Empty, Losing my Touch, How Can I Stop) and I doubt they want to put two on an album (although I would like to see Mick sing one)
16th May 2006 03:39 PM
Saint Sway maybe the answer is for them to go into the studio with just acoustic guitars and commit to making a Beggar's type album. I know Mick's knee-jerk reaction would be to frown at this but I'm sure if the Stones delivered - or even attempted to deliver a rootsy country tonk record it would sell very well.

I disagree that they cant do it. Songs like Evening Gown and Locked Away are evidence that they can. Its just an unwillingness.

what they need is a producer that will kick them back to their roots. I nominate Jack White.

that are have them smoke Gram's remaining ashes
16th May 2006 03:51 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
maybe the answer is for them to go into the studio with just acoustic guitars and commit to making a Beggar's type album. I know Mick's knee-jerk reaction would be to frown at this but I'm sure if the Stones delivered - or even attempted to deliver a rootsy country tonk record it would sell very well.

I disagree that they cant do it. Songs like Evening Gown and Locked Away are evidence that they can. Its just an unwillingness.

what they need is a producer that will kick them back to their roots. I nominate Jack White.

great post!
16th May 2006 03:52 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
maybe the answer is for them to go into the studio with just acoustic guitars and commit to making a Beggar's type album. I know Mick's knee-jerk reaction would be to frown at this but I'm sure if the Stones delivered - or even attempted to deliver a rootsy country tonk record it would sell very well.

they should have also been the band to release a cd of all blues songs from the rock Genre (sadly, see: Honkin on Bobo)
16th May 2006 03:55 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
seems like the Stones from Black & Blue on never really bothered to include country songs on their albums. Sure, theres been a few sprinkled in... "The Worst" was most notably fantastic. Mick's "Evening Gown" too. But it seems like "Spare Parts" was the last cool country song they worked up (sadly never made it to an official release)

Personally I can't stand country unless Mick is making a parody of it, but thats just me.
And since Black and Blue, there was Faraway Eyes, and Blinded by Love which are both hilarious.
And Biggest Mistake and Let Me Dowen Slow could also be 'country.'
16th May 2006 03:58 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

And Biggest Mistake and Let Me Dowen Slow could also be 'country.'

they could - if you consider Faith Hill country.
16th May 2006 03:59 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

they could - if you consider Faith Hill country.

LMDS is the best song on ABB, nowhere near Faith Hill. I wish more people gave it a chance, but oh well.
16th May 2006 04:00 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

LMDS is the best song on ABB, nowhere near Faith Hill. I wish more people gave it a chance, but oh well.

it is also my favorite on ABB
16th May 2006 04:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

it is also my favorite on ABB

exactly.

(see Aerosmith "I Dont Want To Miss A Thing" analogy)
16th May 2006 04:10 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

great solo by Keith, i think
16th May 2006 04:25 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

exactly.

(see Aerosmith "I Dont Want To Miss A Thing" analogy)

I have failed you as a mentor....you pushed the Aerosmith thing one joke too far and now the humor is completely lost...you must think 4-7 steps ahead....You can learn much from me.
16th May 2006 04:46 PM
mmdog
I find it hard to believe that Jagger is the one against the Country songs. Look at his solo albums. Hard Woman, Party Doll, Evening Gown seem to indicate otherwise.
16th May 2006 05:12 PM
voodoopug
quote:
mmdog wrote:

I find it hard to believe that Jagger is the one against the Country songs. Look at his solo albums. Hard Woman, Party Doll, Evening Gown seem to indicate otherwise.

I beleive he is against having more than one country tune on each Stones Album in the post 81 era
16th May 2006 05:18 PM
Saint Sway Black & Blue, ER, TY, Undercover, DW = zero country songs
16th May 2006 05:19 PM
Saint Sway and the only acoustic based songs on those albums was Waiting On A Friend & Indian Girl. Two fine outputs IMO
16th May 2006 05:33 PM
Some Guy why'd they stop doing classic rock/hit songs???
[Edited by Some Guy]
16th May 2006 09:38 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Black & Blue, ER, TY, Undercover, DW = zero country songs

i may begoing out on limb here and while it's not particularly "country" in feel i suspect that All About You has some of it's roots in country, lyrically in particular... when i hear keith sing the words "all about you " i am always reminded of "Sweet Dreams" (Patsy Cline?)...you know how it goes "...instead of having sweet dreams all about you" - the feel and phrasing of those three words are similiar - keith just changed the subject from "dreams" to "lies"

as far as getting that old countyr feel they use to have not only do they need a producer to kick them up the arese but they also need to record the whole thing analog not digital - "The Worst" is clearly a country song in form and substance and the playing is excellent but to me it doesn't really "feel" like one see for example Country Honk - and i blame a lot of that on the way music is recorded these dyas...in fact i think that theory holds true for most of the stones music - compare Rocks Off with Rough Justice and you may see what i mean
16th May 2006 09:51 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
why'd they stop doing classic rock/hit songs???

It's hard for a band like the Stones to write a hit nowadays, and even harder to compete with their back catalog.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)