ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sights in New York Return to archive
15th May 2006 03:29 PM
deuce I will be going to NYC this summer and I was wondering if anyone could give directions to Stones sights such as the steps from the Waiting On A Friend video, etc...
15th May 2006 04:10 PM
JuanTCB The Waiting On A Friend steps are actually a part of the building that's on the cover of Physical Graffiti. It's on St. Mark's Place (E. 8th St.) between 1st Ave & Ave A. South side of the street.

The bar they went into is right on the corner as well, though it has since been redone.
15th May 2006 04:13 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
deuce wrote:
I will be going to NYC this summer and I was wondering if anyone could give directions to Stones sights such as the steps from the Waiting On A Friend video, etc...

I think that's the Physical Graffiti building at 96-98 St. Mark's Place (east of 1st Ave.) It was on the cover of the Led Zep album, and also features the steps where Mick and Keith meet up in "Waiting on a Friend". The bar where they meet Ronnie and Charlie isn't there anymore. I believe it was right on the corner of 1st & St. Marks.

SV

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
15th May 2006 04:14 PM
pdog CBGB's.
15th May 2006 04:16 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:
The Waiting On A Friend steps are actually a part of the building that's on the cover of Physical Graffiti. It's on St. Mark's Place (E. 8th St.) between 1st Ave & Ave A. South side of the street.

The bar they went into is right on the corner as well, though it has since been redone.

Juan...we must have been typing at the exact same time!

SV

15th May 2006 04:17 PM
BILL PERKS THE BAR IS STILL THERE;ITS JUST BEEN REDONE.IT IS CALLED TRIBE .FRANKIE PEPPERS AND I HAVE BEEN THERE MANY TIMES.WE ALSO WENT BEFORE IT WAS RENOVATED BEFORE MSG 1998.ST MARKS AND 1ST AVE.
15th May 2006 04:18 PM
JuanTCB Great minds, SV, great minds . . .
15th May 2006 10:16 PM
Egbert The Phys Graf building is directly across St. Mark's from Yaffa Cafe. Heading east on St. Mark's look for Yaffa, it's hard to miss.
16th May 2006 05:43 PM
Paranoid_Android Trivia...The Physical Graffiti building is also the former apt building of the Rock-n-Roll writer Legs McNiel (Please Kill Me, The Other Hollywood, founder of PUNK magazine). He is pretty much credited w/ coining the term "Punk Rock".
16th May 2006 05:45 PM
Paranoid_Android Check out Madison Square Garden...the Stones played there a few time in their touring history.
16th May 2006 05:45 PM
Paranoid_Android Keith has a loft above the Tower records on Canal Street/Astor Place.
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
16th May 2006 06:24 PM
Saint Sway I dont see the point of seeing any of these spots without the Stones there, but if its how you want to waste your time in NYC heres some more useless places to visit....

they've held their last few press conferences all in NY. You can see the sites heres....
• Steel Wheels - Grand Central Station (head to the large room past track 37, they had a stage set up in the back. The Stones entered thru one of the tracks there on an old vintage train.)
• Voodoo Lounge - head to the upper West Side where the ships are docked along the West Side Highway. I believe it was an old battleship called JFK(?)
• Bridges To Babylon - head to Brooklyn. Specifically the Brooklyn Bridge. They traveled over the bridge in a convertible blarring ASMB. Under the bridge on the landing by the River Cafe side they held the conference.
• Licks - the blimp landed in Central Park. Plenty of better things to see here in the summer - namely NY's finest ladies stretched across the spralling green fields...)
• Bigger Bang - go to Lincoln Center. Head in the main enterance up the steps, walk across the plaza until you reach the glass doors turn right and face Juliard School of Music. They had a stage set up right in front of it and rocked out.

other stuff to see...
• Morrison Hotel - Prince St in Soho. Cool gallery of vintage rock photos.
• Pop Galleries - Soho. Usually have some of Woody's paintings on occassionally some other prominent Stones photographers.
• Time Warner Center - 2nd floor. Really cool running exhibit of Gerard Mankowitz Stones photos. Halograms.

cool record shops.... good shops for vinyl and bootlegs, collectibles...
• Rocks In Your Head - Soho
• Generation Records (Greenich Village)

bands.... some cool local Stonesian acts to ck out if they have a gig while you're here...
• The Goods - do tons of obscure Stones covers
• The Izzys
• The New Heathens
• The Yayhoos
16th May 2006 06:41 PM
glencar The blimp landed at Van Cortland Park. Take Gun Hill Rd. in the Bronx & eventually you'll run into it. Some local bars around the park.
16th May 2006 07:05 PM
sirmoonie Go to the Faces and Names lounge.

http://www.facesandnames.com/about.asp

Me, Maxlugar, Sir Stonesalot, Scopey, and HTM used to drink there. All the chicks dug us.
16th May 2006 07:13 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
• Voodoo Lounge - head to the upper West Side where the ships are docked along the West Side Highway. I believe it was an old battleship called JFK(?)

Actually it was a yacht once owned by JFK not a battle ship.

• Bridges To Babylon - head to Brooklyn. Specifically the Brooklyn Bridge. They traveled over the bridge in a convertible blarring ASMB. Under the bridge on the landing by the River Cafe side they held the conference.

I covered that PC it was very cool to watch the boys drive across the Brooklyn Bridge which had been completely closed to traffic! Only the Stones and the president could get the Brooklyn Bridge closed for this one of a kind entrance!

• Licks - the blimp landed in Central Park. Plenty of better things to see here in the summer - namely NY's finest ladies stretched across the spralling green fields...)

I covered this PC as well. I even got to ask the first question! Sat right next to Albert Maysles! It was at Van Cortland Park in the Bronx. Not Central Park,which is in Manhattan.

• Bigger Bang - go to Lincoln Center. Head in the main enterance up the steps, walk across the plaza until you reach the glass doors turn right and face Juliard School of Music. They had a stage set up right in front of it and rocked out.

I was supposed to cover this PC,but,well I'll leave that alone!

Riffy
16th May 2006 07:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Go to the Faces and Names lounge.

http://www.facesandnames.com/about.asp

Me, Maxlugar, Sir Stonesalot, Scopey, and HTM used to drink there. All the chicks dug us.

Yeah, all the chicks dig us!

I still have the beer matt and matches I took from the bar!
16th May 2006 08:18 PM
Gazza the yacht once owned by the Kennedys which they used for the VL press conference was called the "Honey Fitz". I think the press conference took place at Pier 60.

aside from the boot shops Saint Sway mentions, I'd also recommend Bleeker Records , on Bleecker St of course

[Edited by Gazza]
16th May 2006 08:41 PM
Mel Belli And Revolution Records on -- cue up "Dance Pt. 1" -- West 8th St. and 6th Ave.
16th May 2006 09:02 PM
pdog Sway is right, if you can see The Izzy's do it. Very cool band!
16th May 2006 10:21 PM
sirmoonie Dude, get fucking blitzed at YOTI (Ye Olde Tavern ....)

Stonesian Madison Square Garden Summit moofcurred there: In absolutely NO ORDER whatsoever: Scopey and wifey, Maxlugar (maitre'd), Nankie, Riffie, Mick Jagger, Sir Stonesalot, sirmoonie, Luxury1, the beautiful AZQB (where is she?), husband of AZQB, Gazza, VooDoo, Leviathan, that one chick who is part of the Unholy Trinity, Maxie, bongs. And many more.

I'd say get YOTI'ed if I was in NYC. Or something.
17th May 2006 12:50 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
And Revolution Records on -- cue up "Dance Pt. 1" -- West 8th St. and 6th Ave.

I think Revolution Records is all gone or moved. Walked past there recently looking for Psychadelic Solution (awesome vintage rock poster shop). PS was gone too. Crap.

Revolution was cool. They used to stock copies of Bill German's Beggars Banquet fanzine!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)