ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sweet child o' mine has the best rock intro ever... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th May 2006 08:33 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
i think y'all is forgetting
Stray Cat Blues!

!!!...I hear the click clack of your feet on the stairs!!!!!!!!
15th May 2006 08:38 AM
Jumacfly what about Rocks Off??
this beautiful song is the perfect opener of the perfect Stones album!!
15th May 2006 08:38 AM
gimmekeef There may be debates about greatest songs and bands but with the canon of amazing opening riffs the Stones surely win this regardless of which heavy opener you pick....Gimmeshelter is my #1 and then Charlie poundin on PIB is right there too.
For non Stones always loved Creedence with Fogerty's opening on..."Fortunate Son"...The Byrds "Turn Turn Turn"..and the opening salvo on "Layla"
15th May 2006 09:17 AM
speedfreakjive Salt of The Earth has a great intro; nice descending acoustic bit, then Keith singing his bit perfectly
15th May 2006 09:57 AM
jb Let's not even compare a band that lasted 5 yrs with the Stones...They had a few good songs, but like all the other heirs to throne, self-imploded .....I like like the original line up of Guns -N-Roses, and the first few albums really gave rock a kick in the ass....but do you ever sit down and play a Gins-n-Roses album, and if you do, how old are you?
[Edited by jb]
15th May 2006 10:18 AM
GotToRollMe The guitar intro to "Sweet Child O'Mine" always reminded me of Television's "Venus."
15th May 2006 10:34 AM
jb
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
The guitar intro to "Sweet Child O'Mine" always reminded me of Television's "Venus."

Please explain more fully.
15th May 2006 10:39 AM
Saint Sway I LIKE THE INTRO TO "ONE HIT (TO THE BODY)". IT'S THEIR BEST INTRO SINCE "CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKIN"
PLEASE GIVE IT ANOTHER LISTEN
15th May 2006 10:47 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I LIKE THE INTRO TO "ONE HIT (TO THE BODY)". IT'S THEIR BEST INTRO SINCE "CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKIN"
PLEASE GIVE IT ANOTHER LISTEN

Not bad for post 81 Stones,,,I like intro to "Love is Strong"...
15th May 2006 11:10 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:

Please explain more fully.

Not much to explain really. The guitar intro to "Sweet Child O'Mine" (the subject of this thread) always reminded me of Tom Verlaine's guitar in the rock group Television's song "Venus." Same kind of sound. In fact, the first time I heard "Sweet Child O'Mine" I thought it might be a Tom Verlaine song...until the guitar intro was over. That is all.
15th May 2006 11:17 AM
JayCee My Fave non Stones is Sweet Jane from Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal album.
15th May 2006 11:30 AM
jb
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Not much to explain really. The guitar intro to "Sweet Child O'Mine" (the subject of this thread) always reminded me of Tom Verlaine's guitar in the rock group Television's song "Venus." Same kind of sound. In fact, the first time I heard "Sweet Child O'Mine" I thought it might be a Tom Verlaine song...until the guitar intro was over. That is all.

Thanks..nice T-shirt.
15th May 2006 12:02 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:

Thanks..nice T-shirt.

Likewise...nice avatar!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
15th May 2006 01:15 PM
ebmp I wonder why nobody said Tumbling Dice

That's one their best intros IMO
15th May 2006 02:23 PM
jb
quote:
ebmp wrote:
I wonder why nobody said Tumbling Dice

True..................best version may be LOve You Live!!!!!
16th May 2006 08:21 PM
rolling who 'Baba O'Riley'
16th May 2006 08:27 PM
glencar SOL has a better intro than Sweet Child.
16th May 2006 08:32 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
ebmp wrote:
I wonder why nobody said Tumbling Dice

i scrolled through the thread and was just about to say the same thing

except to say it's THE best - quintessential stones
16th May 2006 08:47 PM
Spru
quote:
jb wrote:

Not bad for post 81 Stones,,,I like intro to "Love is Strong"...

I love the LIS intro too, but my favorite post-81 intro is probably YGMR, the studio version. Great drums from Mr. Watts and a raunchy riff from Keith. Does it get any better than that?
[Edited by Spru]
16th May 2006 09:04 PM
Scottfree
quote:
StickyFishFingers wrote:
For the record Gimme Shelter is probably the one for me - i get the most awesome goose pimples when I hear that intro.

I couldn't agree more..... I'll also add Time Waits for no one....subtle...

As far as live "81" UMT
16th May 2006 09:06 PM
Scottfree
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Salt of The Earth has a great intro; nice descending acoustic bit, then Keith singing his bit perfectly

Forgot about that'un...It's amazing
16th May 2006 09:11 PM
pdog
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Television is a great band, and Slush isn't even in the same league as Verlaine!
17th May 2006 02:23 AM
Turd OnThe Run Sweet Child Of Mine is completely outdated.
It sounds like Pearl Jam, very weak.

Favorite Stones intro's:

Hand Of Fate
IORR
Monkey Man
CYHMK
The Last Time
Beast Of Burden
Everyting's Turning To Gold
Tumbling Dice

And I love the intro to Sweet Neocon, Micks harp is honkin'!
But after that the song disintegrates fast,
I hate it.

[Edited by Turd OnThe Run]
17th May 2006 07:21 AM
corgi37 Ohio has a brilliant intro.
17th May 2006 09:15 AM
Bruno
Guns n Roses are one of the best bands ever. Talking about intros, what about Welcome To The Jungle?

And Soul Survivor is a hell of a intro. Perfect chords progression, perfect drumming, perfect vocal.
17th May 2006 11:03 AM
MemoFromTinaTurner I've heard "Sweet Child O Mine" lots of times over the years 'cause it's a very overplayed song but man, it still kicks my ass everytime I listen to it. GNR were an awesome band and "Appetite For Destruction" is an undeniable classic. That album kills from start to finish.
17th May 2006 11:07 AM
jb
quote:
MemoFromTinaTurner wrote:
I've heard "Sweet Child O Mine" lots of times over the years 'cause it's a very overplayed song but man, it still kicks my ass everytime I listen to it. GNR were an awesome band and "Appetite For Destruction" is an undeniable classic. That album kills from start to finish.

LOL.................I deny it's a classic.
17th May 2006 11:08 AM
Saint Sway has anyone heard the new version with Bumblefuck playing the lead?
17th May 2006 11:14 AM
speedfreakjive memofromtinaturner - don't be swayed by JB's poor posting, you will notice it greatly in the near future - Appetite 4 Destruction is goldust!
17th May 2006 11:21 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:

Television is a great band, and Slush isn't even in the same league as Verlaine!

Agreed! Slash is good though, and I liked some of GnR's stuff.
[Edited by GotToRollMe]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)