ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cobain voted 'greatest rocker'. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
13th May 2006 02:47 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

It didn't get more ballyhooing than that.

FUCK OFF AT ONCE
13th May 2006 03:01 PM
MrPleasant OK. Explanation needed:

I dig Cash. "I Walk The Line" is one of the greatest love songs ever written, and I'm looking forward to download the recent Phoenix biopic from UpYourAss. What I didn't get was the music video. Talk about subtlety. Seemed like it had been directed by Mel Gibson or something (with the crosses, the dirt, the tears, the wine pouring and stuff; yeah, we get it already with the fucking pain. Why don't you smash your solar plexus with a rock or something? --hint for sensitive bozos: that wasn't adressed at Cash, at all--). Besides, the song sucks.

"They're starving back in China so finish what you got".
13th May 2006 03:05 PM
MrPleasant Cobain was HURT too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKYTCKN0wFM
13th May 2006 04:11 PM
PeerQueer [quote]MrPleasant wrote:
OK. Explanation needed:

I dig Cash. "I Walk The Line" is one of the greatest love songs ever written, and I'm looking forward to download the recent Phoenix biopic from UpYourAss. What I didn't get was the music video. Talk about subtlety. Seemed like it had been directed by Mel Gibson or something (with the crosses, the dirt, the tears, the wine pouring and stuff; yeah, we get it already with the fucking pain. Why don't you smash your solar plexus with a rock or something? --hint for sensitive bozos: that wasn't adressed at Cash, at all--). Besides, the song sucks.

You've painted your own corner here - The HURT video was incredible and the perfect match for the Cash legacy. He took that song and completely made it his own, then, combined with the visuals of that video, made the entire musical statement a very rare, very honest, and ultimately, incredibe work of art.

You think that song sucks??????????????????????????

Fucking hell...
13th May 2006 04:26 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
very rare, very honest, and ultimately, incredibe work of art.

I'm sorry that Cash had to be marketed in a Nine Inch Nails look-a-like video. But, you nailed it with the term "incredible": I don't believe, care, fall for all the glossy, staged, in-your-face, pretentious imagery that rapes the eye in that video. Or any music video, for that matter.

They all suck, except for David Hasselhoff's Hooked on a feeling.
13th May 2006 04:53 PM
speedfreakjive depends on the definition of a 'rocker' i guess. Musically or image, r 'n' r lifestyle .....................
13th May 2006 04:55 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Dan wrote:

Rock For Choice benefit
No On 9 benefit
Bosnian Rape Victims benefit

Of course that all could have been Novaselic's doing

I was talking more along the lines of his songs-- him being a "spokesman of a generatrion" yet not writing about ANYTHING but himself in his lyrics.
Your examples are a good point, though.
13th May 2006 05:01 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
yet not writing about ANYTHING but himself in his lyrics.

Sounds dylanesque.
13th May 2006 05:06 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

Sounds dylanesque.

bonoislove - girl then? or politically minded person?
13th May 2006 05:09 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

bonoislove - girl then? or politically minded person?

You make the call. (Or, as Dylan would have said: "What do you think?".)
13th May 2006 07:59 PM
Dan
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

I was talking more along the lines of his songs-- him being a "spokesman of a generatrion" yet not writing about ANYTHING but himself in his lyrics.
Your examples are a good point, though.

I don't think he ever considered him the spokesman of his generation just like I don't think he compared himself to John Lennon either.
13th May 2006 08:41 PM
BONOISLOVE Hey, this Cobain dude sounds intriguing. A new talent, at last. Was he in American Idol?
14th May 2006 07:09 AM
corgi37 If he was, betcha Paula Abdul would have fucked him too.

I am not a fan of Mr. Cash. I hate country music with a fucking passion. But, the video for "Hurt" is the most stunning thing i have ever seen. It is just so powerful. A fitting "end" if you will. I actually had tears in my eyes the 1st time i saw it (which amazingly, was only late last year).

That video just shows what can be done and what should be strived for.
[Edited by corgi37]
15th May 2006 05:02 AM
JumpingKentFlash Cobain IS one of the greatest rockers ever. No doubt there. But him beating the Stones? No way in hell....
15th May 2006 05:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I hate country music with a fucking passion.

15th May 2006 05:27 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Dan wrote:

I don't think he ever considered him the spokesman of his generation just like I don't think he compared himself to John Lennon either.

It's not what he thought he was - he never cared much for that position either, I think. He was insecure and sad and had a pathetic childhood after the age of 7, but despite that (or because of all that), he did manage to express a whole generation's fears and nightmares.

And of course he wrote about himself! Do you have the slightest doubt that there's ANY lyricist out there who doesn't write first and foremost about his / her self? Art is a selfish thing! It's my pains, my dreams, my love rejections, my angst! And people identify with it. And in Cobain's case there were many people identifying with it - many who got it, and many who didn't, but many all in all.
15th May 2006 05:48 AM
Reptile Killing yourself gets you far in music buisness.. it's been proven many times..
15th May 2006 05:56 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Reptile wrote:
Killing yourself gets you far in music buisness.. it's been proven many times..

I don't disagree. Getting killed and quitting helps too. For instance, I do believe the Stones would be more respected if they had call it quits back in e.g. 1970. Though I do prefer having them here and not getting any respect from the music press

There's one little difference here though: we're talking about a largely disputed suicide (if you're willing to look just a little bit on the evidence and the whole process of invenstigation you can see that). Also, I do believe Cobain's music is worth all the praise, even with the extra attention after his death.
15th May 2006 12:51 PM
Honky Tonk Man Cobain was a legend in 1991, not just after his death. I'm not a HUGE Nirvana fan, but there’s something fundamentally wrong with anyone who doubts the obvious talents he had both as a musician, frontman and spokesperson for a whole generation of disillusioned teens. Oh, and he wrote Serve The Servants. The Stones aside, that song has to be one of my all time favourite album openers,

As for Pete Doherty’s inclusion? Well, even the NME itself stated they were surprised.
15th May 2006 01:17 PM
doo doo doo Dude Liked Cobain at the time, got to see them live a couple of times, a great punk rock band. But vastly overrated only because Kurt decided to off himself and become a martyr.

The only album I'll still spin occasionally is Bleach. The other ones I find depressing, boring and overplayed.
15th May 2006 01:54 PM
jb
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Liked Cobain at the time, got to see them live a couple of times, a great punk rock band. But vastly overrated only because Kurt decided to off himself and become a martyr.

The only album I'll still spin occasionally is Bleach. The other ones I find depressing, boring and overplayed.

100% correct....I alwasy sympathized with him as I suffer from chronic stomach pain...it its very debilating at times. i also suffer from mental illness, but have never been suicidal...I masterbate when under stress.
15th May 2006 01:57 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
jb wrote:

100% correct....I alwasy sympathized with him as I suffer from chronic stomach pain...it its very debilating at times. i also suffer from mental illness, but have never been suicidal...I masterbate when under stress.

JB, ARE YOU "HURT" TOO????
15th May 2006 01:58 PM
jb
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

JB, ARE YOU "HURT" TOO????

Not "Hurt"...just hurting.
15th May 2006 02:03 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
jb wrote:

Not "Hurt"...just hurting.

Masturbation is the way to go. Farting too. That, and the fact that the Pope's popularity has gone down the drain, will be helpful for a new culture of sexual freedom.
15th May 2006 05:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I hate country music with a fucking passion.

download, buy or steal Keith Richards' solo session in Toronto from March 1977, recorded when he was out on bail, left behind by the rest of the band, unable to leave the country and generally looking down the barrel.

probably the most heart-rending and soulful piece of music he has ever recorded
15th May 2006 10:11 PM
Soldatti Those sessions ('77) are incredible.
15th May 2006 11:50 PM
jb
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Cobain IS one of the greatest rockers ever. No doubt there. But him beating the Stones? No way in hell....

Do you prefer the Beatles to the Stones? Simple answewr will do!!
16th May 2006 06:25 AM
JumpingKentFlash I prefer the Stones. But Nirvana is in my top 5. He didn't shoot himself to become a martyr. If you say that you never understood him in the first place. Their best album is "In Utero".
16th May 2006 11:29 AM
MrPleasant I HURT MYSELF WITH A COKE CAN!!

What's the libido of this thread??
16th May 2006 11:38 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
I prefer the Stones. But Nirvana is in my top 5. He didn't shoot himself to become a martyr. If you say that you never understood him in the first place. Their best album is "In Utero".

I don't think anyone can claim they fully understand Kurt Cobain anyway, not even big time fans.
He was talking about offing himself and becoming a legend since he was like, ten. Whether he killed himself for that reason or another is impossible to tell.
But Nirvana did seem to be at a dead end at that point, and would probably have faded away if not for his dramatic exit.

And In Utero seems to be appreciated by die-hard Nirvana fans. It doesn't have anywhere near the effect Nevermind had on me (and still does), and is mostly self indulgent. Making an album to "chase away" fairweather fans is a cop out, no matter how you slice it. And "songs" like Milk It are pure BS.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)