ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cobain voted 'greatest rocker'. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11th May 2006 07:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels COBAIN VOTED GREATEST ROCKER

KURT COBAIN has been named the Greatest Hero In Rock 'N' Roll history by the readers of a British music magazine. The NIRVANA frontman, who died in 1994 aged just 27, beat newcomers PETE DOHERTY and CARL BARAT to the top spot and left the stars of years gone by in the shade. Rock legends KEITH RICHARDS, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, JOHNNY CASH, SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY and MARC BOLAN barely scraped into NME magazine's top 50. The top ten is as follows: 1: KURT COBAIN 2: PETE DOHERTY 3: MORRISSEY 4: LIAM GALLAGHER 5: CARL BARAT 6: THOM YORKE 7: NOEL GALLAGHER 8: DAVID BOWIE 9: IAN BROWN 10: IAN CURTIS.

11/05/2006 14:00

11th May 2006 07:30 PM
ListenToTheLion I am sick and tired to read those lists
11th May 2006 07:45 PM
Soldatti Average age of the voters?
15-18?
11th May 2006 07:47 PM
glencar Another boring list that means nothing.
11th May 2006 09:23 PM
PeerQueer While I loved the Grunge-era and had a mighty good time in those days, Cobain punked out big time. I still dig Nirvana (though prefer Pearl Jam)

By dying young he was the ultimage Rock cliche, the very thing he was supposed to be against.

John Cash fighting to the very end, blazing a final visceral trail with his rendition of "HURT"...shit, it don't get more Rock n Roll than that.

Period.
11th May 2006 09:45 PM
Riffhard He's an overrated twit. He offed himself and youngsters hold him up as some kind of legend. Pretty f'ed up if you ask me. I'll never forget when Kurt Loder refered to Cobain as the Lennon of his generation! WTF? Bullshit! His entire recorded legacy is nothing short of a long suicide note. He ain't no hero. Just ask his fatherless daughter. Stupid list composed by stupid people.

Riffy
11th May 2006 09:48 PM
The Wick Shows how rubbish music has become that he is considered a genius. Never liked them, never will. They spawned an era of people singing through their noses.
11th May 2006 10:14 PM
Paranoid_Android What the fuck does the "GREATEST ROCKER" even mean???!!!???

Though, I do find it curious that BOWIE wa the only "old timer" to make the top 10...

But still...what the fuck does " GREATEST ROCKER" even mean?!?!?!?!?
11th May 2006 10:31 PM
pdog
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
But still...what the fuck does " GREATEST ROCKER" even mean?!?!?!?!?

Boils down to the obvious, people are idiots and polls and lists are the proof.
11th May 2006 10:59 PM
ebmp Pete Doherty? You can see what kind of list is this when this ass is on 2nd place.

Cobain ainīt no hero, he was just a depressed man, and a seriously overrated composer. Maybe the most overrated ever.

Pearl Jam is MILLION times better than Pearl Jam BTW
12th May 2006 02:59 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
He's an overrated twit. He offed himself and youngsters hold him up as some kind of legend. Pretty f'ed up if you ask me. I'll never forget when Kurt Loder refered to Cobain as the Lennon of his generation! WTF? Bullshit! His entire recorded legacy is nothing short of a long suicide note. He ain't no hero. Just ask his fatherless daughter. Stupid list composed by stupid people.

I'll have to disagree Riffy! Cobain died no more than 12 years ago and it's still too early to appreciate his importance as a composer, lyricist and singer. I think in the years to come he will be more acknowledged for what he's left behind him.

I do believe he was the Lennon of his generation, as a matter of fact. It's just that generations change - the sixties/seventies were a whole different story than the nineties. You got "Peace" signs and flower children on the one hand, you have nihilism and depression on the other. But despite the differences, his importance is just the same, in my opinion. He was the voice of his generation -and if that generation is mostly depressed, that doesn't reduce his importance.

And regarding the whole suicide thing... I've been reading a lot of books and seeing videos on the issue lately, and trust me, the thing doesn't look like a suicide at all. With no fingerprints found on the gun he supposedly shot himself with, a triple lethal dose of heroin in his system, a suicide note with mixed handwriting and a paper with practised a's and b's and c's found in Courtney Love's handbag... well, it doesn't add up as a suicide to me...
[Edited by FotiniD]
12th May 2006 03:49 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Greatest rocker is me.
12th May 2006 07:26 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
ebmp wrote:

Pearl Jam is MILLION times better than Pearl Jam BTW

That is an interesting point of view.
Anyways, Nirvana were far superior to the worthy and dull Pearl Jam
12th May 2006 07:27 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

John Cash fighting to the very end, blazing a final visceral trail with his rendition of "HURT"...shit, it don't get more Rock n Roll than that.

Period.

Word.
12th May 2006 07:31 AM
Gazza PeerQueer's post on Cash is 100% correct

Kurt Cobain the best rocker of all time...? He wasnt even the best rocker in his own house!!!
12th May 2006 07:40 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:
PeerQueer's post on Cash is 100% correct

Kurt Cobain the best rocker of all time...? He wasnt even the best rocker in his own house!!!

ROFL!!!!!
12th May 2006 07:44 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:
PeerQueer's post on Cash is 100% correct

That's why I find most lists to be completely useless. What is their worth exactly? To make the fans proud and start flame wars? To inflate the artist's ego? To serve as a buying guide? I really don't get it.

I do however think Cobain was a really wonderful artist.
But then again it's also a matter of preference and different tastes, so... - another reason why lists are completely useless! Best rocker according to whom? And for what era? So subjective, all that stuff.
12th May 2006 08:37 AM
gimmekeef Where did Britney Spears come in?.....fuck these teeny bop polls.....
12th May 2006 08:42 AM
justforyou Pass the pipe, you rocker...
12th May 2006 08:54 AM
Madafaka He isn't even the best rocker dead.
OMG! What a stupid list!
12th May 2006 09:55 AM
Bruno
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
And regarding the whole suicide thing... I've been reading a lot of books and seeing videos on the issue lately, and trust me, the thing doesn't look like a suicide at all. With no fingerprints found on the gun he supposedly shot himself with, a triple lethal dose of heroin in his system, a suicide note with mixed handwriting and a paper with practised a's and b's and c's found in Courtney Love's handbag... well, it doesn't add up as a suicide to me...
[Edited by FotiniD]

I belive that, he was killed.

12th May 2006 10:12 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I'll have to disagree Riffy! Cobain died no more than 12 years ago and it's still too early to appreciate his importance as a composer, lyricist and singer. I think in the years to come he will be more acknowledged for what he's left behind him.

I do believe he was the Lennon of his generation, as a matter of fact. It's just that generations change - the sixties/seventies were a whole different story than the nineties. You got "Peace" signs and flower children on the one hand, you have nihilism and depression on the other. But despite the differences, his importance is just the same, in my opinion. He was the voice of his generation -and if that generation is mostly depressed, that doesn't reduce his importance.

[Edited by FotiniD]

Cobain was a pretty accidental hero-- unlike Lennon, no social consciousness whatsoever, and way too wrapped up in himself to write about anything BUT himself. I guess that may reflect his generation, too, but I'm not so sure.

And as for the murder stuff, that is pretty much conjecture. His lyrics throughout his career are suicide-note enough for me, not to mention the ridiculous stuff in documentaries like 'Kurt and Courtney' that make the murder case even harder to believe.

That said, I think Nevermind is one of the most amazing records ever, of any decade-- you can argue on and on about the quality of the music on it, but the power in it is unbelievable, and is generally better than any single Pearl Jam album (although PJ have shown to have far more material in them than Nirvana had).
But I never cared much for what came before and after Nevermind (except maybe About a Girl on Bleach and the Unplugged set). In Utero is mostly way too self indulgent and Bleach is mostly just noise, which makes Nirvana generally overrated when you consider they only had one worthy album to give. And yeah, the fact that he's dead surely helps their status.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
12th May 2006 10:23 AM
jb Leave to the Brits..contrary to what my close friend Gazza wants to believe, they truly loath Mick and the Stones. This poll , like the many other brit polls over the years, further feflects, evidences and or otherwise substantiates my allegations.
[Edited by jb]
13th May 2006 07:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels PSYCHIC: 'COBAIN WAS A 16TH CENTURY MURDERER'

NIRVANA star KURT COBAIN lived many lives as a "tortured and depressed" soul after murdering people in the 16th century, according to top psychic VICTORIA BULLIS. In her Beyond The Grave column in US men's magazine Stuff, the medium recounts a recent encounter with the tragic COME AS YOU ARE star's spirit - and assures fans he has "resolved his issues" after links to a terrible past. Bullis explains, "He's a tortured soul from many centuries ago. I'm seeing a lifetime in Europe around the 16th century where he herded a bunch of people into the dungeon underneath a castle and let them all suffocate. "Ever since then, he's never had a life where he wasn't feeling tortured and depressed."

In her eerie encounter, Bullis also reveals that Cobain's daughter, FRANCES BEAN, was a relative of one of the people suffocated: "He has a lot of guilt about her."

Meanwhile, the rock star's spirit, which also inhabited the body of a provocative early 20th century female trendsetter, plans to return to earth - as a great classical pianist. She adds, "He plans to be back in 15 years, and he'll be a child prodigy."

13/05/2006 10:04

13th May 2006 08:12 AM
corgi37 Just shows you how far down the pole the English has slid. They are a stupid bunch of pasty faced fuckers. And, notice how everyone on that list is a pasty faced fucker too!!!
13th May 2006 10:02 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

It didn't get more ballyhooing than that.
13th May 2006 01:13 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

It didn't get more ballyhooing than that.

_________

Fuck that - and fuck you.

If you don't dig J. Cash, you are one ignorant fat pussy.
13th May 2006 01:15 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

_________

Fuck that - and fuck you.

If you don't dig J. Cash, you are one ignorant fat pussy.

13th May 2006 02:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

That's why I find most lists to be completely useless. What is their worth exactly?

space filler

Most music nowadays isnt worth writing more than a few words about and most modern journalist's grasp of musical history is tenuous at best - hence the obsession with stupid lists to pad out magazines and TV programmes , which only end up proving that the average member of the general public has a capacity for memory similar to the average squirrel as well as the intellect of a mutant.

as Bob Dylan once put it - "no one achieves immortality by public acclaim"
13th May 2006 02:45 PM
Dan
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Cobain was a pretty accidental hero-- unlike Lennon, no social consciousness whatsoever,

Rock For Choice benefit
No On 9 benefit
Bosnian Rape Victims benefit

Of course that all could have been Novaselic's doing
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)