ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Honolulu International Center, Hawaii - January 22, 1973
Richard Upper
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Adivice for a relatively new RS fan needed urgently!!!! Return to archive
05-13-03 06:44 AM
JaggerLips Hi I have been an RS fan for about 3/4 of a year now and have got the following albums
BLACK AND BLUE
UNDERCOVER
BRIDGES TO BABYLON
Mick's GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY
40 LICKS

I'd just like to know out of all the other albums that they have done which ones should I definitely buy next? I have heard the Satanic Majesties Service isn't that good, but I don't listen to reviews I find out by myself but for this I make an exception.

Is Exile on Main Street the one I should be out to get next or what??

I am 19 so don't go easy on me!!

"we need more power to hold the line, the strength of darkness still abides, it must be hell...."
05-13-03 06:50 AM
Lazy Bones Start with these:

Exile On Main St.
Sticky Fingers
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Some Girls
Aftermath
Tattoo You
Goats Head Soup

I'm really trying to be realistic here. The obvious reply would be to "buy them all".
Start with these staple albums that are must haves.
05-13-03 06:50 AM
Zeeta Mate,

BUY EXILE ASAP!!!!

You will not be disappointed - changed my life man!

Really you need the quartet of albums for starters:

Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

This is a good base to start from - then consider Some Girls, Voodoo Lounge, Tattoo You, Goats Head Soup and Aftermath - to name a few but I would strongly advise purchasing the premium quartet IMO!

Hope this assists you,

Matt

05-13-03 06:52 AM
Zeeta LOL Lazy you virtually posted the same recommendations as me!

Great minds think alike!!!

05-13-03 07:03 AM
JaggerLips Thanks my little pebbles;-) Just wrote them all the albums that have been recommended so far, Main Street will be next on my hit list.

I can't beleieve I got the The Satanic Majesties Request album name wrong!! thasnkfully nobody seemed to notice!!

05-13-03 07:42 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Welcome to the Stones, man!

A word of caution about Exile on Main Street: It's *dense*. The first time I listened to it I went "Man! I hate this! What is all this crap?" I put it down for a week, and when I put it in again on a hunch I loved every track on it.

If you want to start with a sure-fire every-song's-a-hit, I'd recommend Let It Bleed, which has been newly remastered by ABKCO records. It's only nine songs, but there isn't a bad one on there.

Exile On Main Street will take you by surprise, and I think when it came out most people kinda shook their heads and went "Huh?", but it shot to Number One because after the reviews came out people gave it a few more spins and realized just how monumental it was.

Don't worry about Satanic Majesties - it's an interesting album, not really *awful*, but... different. Not very Stonesean.

Good luck on this! It's great gettin' into the Stones now (hell, I'm 17 and really got into 'em), because they're so damn good, as opposed to 99.95% of radio music today.

-tSYX --- War, children...
05-13-03 08:03 AM
Zeeta Agreed Savage - EXACTly the same thing happended to me!

Bought Exile, was like what the fuck is this!!
Thought it was underproduced and you couldn't decipher the vocals etc...BUT that is the very beauty of the album - it's absolutely FILTHY!
Some also may have trouble adopting to the brass in the album, but you WILL eventually love it!

Enjoy Jaggerlips!
05-13-03 08:09 AM
JaggerLips Why can't I write properly on here?? I need some Jack Daniels to calm me down and make me see straight

You are 17?? Gee I thought I was their youngest fan!! Dammit. I am glad that there are people from my generation still keeping the RS music going, I agree there is a lot of rubbish out there at the moment, people think I am weird liking the RS and the likes of Bowie and Queen but hey vive la difference as they say.

05-13-03 11:36 AM
jb Don't listen to the Beatles.
05-13-03 11:44 AM
quackenbush Buy Keith Richard's "Talk is Cheap" and "Main Offender."
05-13-03 04:45 PM
Gazza as well as the "big four" from 1968-72 you also should buy the live album that was released in the middle of that "golden era" - "Get yer ya ya's out!"

..and dont listen to anyone who recommends other Stones live albums ahead of this one. They dont deserve to be mentioned in the same breath
05-13-03 05:05 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
as well as the "big four" from 1968-72 you also should buy the live album that was released in the middle of that "golden era" - "Get yer ya ya's out!"

..and dont listen to anyone who recommends other Stones live albums ahead of this one. They dont deserve to be mentioned in the same breath

This is where Gazza and I shake hands and part ways on the Stones. I personally think Love You Live overflows with a personality and out-and-out rock'n'roll fun that Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out lacks. The album is brilliant, and Mick Taylor's solos are unforgettable, but the band sounds like it's having an infinitely better time (and as a result the overall quality goes up) on Love You Live.

But if you're just starting up, you don't even need to be worrying yet.

Let us know whacha get. Seriously consider Let It Bleed first and formost, followed quickly by Exile On Main Street, Sticky Fingers and Beggar's Banquet. (Exile, as I said, is the best of the four but also takes the most to get into.)

-tSYX --- The music is mighty-mighty fine...
05-13-03 05:56 PM
SirMuddy get Love you Live!
It change my life
it gave me life...

it's Keith singing for his lost Tara
But when the lord get ready you gotta move
El mocambo back from bust side
I sais the joint was rockin'
goin 'round and 'round

get Love you Live!

and don't forget everything from 1968 to 1972!
05-13-03 07:42 PM
Turner Yo dawg, I hate to say but , no I don't Emotional Rescue is the one that hooked me in and still Jams
05-13-03 08:05 PM
ShadowCat I have been a fan for 23 years, and Emotional Rescue was the first Stones album I bought. I enjoyed it very much, but then put it away after hearing all the bad reviews and after seeing everyone ripping their clothes on me for enjoying it. Then , I re-discovered it when I was more independently minded, and today its one of the albums I like the most. I KNOW its not the best, but who cant argue against Dance, Let me go, Indian girl, All about you... )

And for that new Stones fan...welcome on board, but I wouldnt buy Exile on min street next. It might scare you away, as it did to me. Buy Sticky fingers and/or Tattoo You and you will love the Stones even more.

Cheers!
05-13-03 08:18 PM
Turner she's so cold and emotional rescue are too cool. That album propelled them to where they are now
.mainly the greatest R&R band in the world.enabling them to rest on their laurels for 23 years because they broke the envelope then
05-13-03 08:20 PM
tDice pimp Hello everybody. (this is my fisrt post!)
I am a recent fan too, this is like my third year of obsession. And man, I have to tell ya, buy Exile on main st, all the people here are right, it's the best album in my opinion. I think the Stones should start more concerts (if not all) with Rocks Off, waht a great start for the album.

Well man, we're just getting started, just imagine how good it will get.
And again, hello everybody, this is a great message board.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003