ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Honolulu International Center, Hawaii - January 22, 1973
Richard Upper
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jimi Hendrix Bassist Noel Redding Dies Return to archive
05-13-03 01:10 AM
steel driving hammer Hendrix Bassist Noel Redding Dies
Mon May 12, 7:15 PM ET

By Marcus Errico

Noel Redding, the man who held down the bottom line for Jimi Hendrix, has died.

AP: Online Photo
SSS - sorry so small...

The bassist passed away Sunday at his home in County Cork, Ireland, according to his manager, Ian Grant. Grant made the announcement on a message board for Track Records, Redding's label.

"I can't yet take it in that, once more, I am sitting at my desk bringing sad news. Noel passed away," Grant wrote.

The cause of death was not immediately known. Redding was 57.

His death reportedly comes just a week after his mother's.

Originally a guitarist, Redding converted to bass when he joined with Hendrix and drummer Mitch Mitchell to form the Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1966. Redding played bass on all three of the group's landmark albums, Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland. The power trio split in 1969, a year before Hendrix died.

Redding was enshrined with Hendrix and Mitchell in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

Known for his only-in-the-'60s look (towering 'fro that rivaled Jimi's, granny glasses, dashiki), Redding was later embittered by his Experience days. He signed away his royalty rights in 1974, allegedly to pay an outstanding legal bill, for a one-off payment of $100,000. Redding claimed he agreed to the sum after being promised there would be no more reissues of the Experience material. Of course, that was before CDs and DVDs and the endless repackaging of the band's songs by Hendrix's estate.

"I should have been a plumber. That's a joke. But the thing is, plumbers get paid," he told Billboard.com last year. "But there again, I'm still playing, thank God. That's the main thing." Redding said he was even forced to sell the bass he used to record with the Experience to get by.

In February, Grant vowed to file a lawsuit on Redding's behalf demanding some $5 million from the Hendrix estate. It's not immediately clear whether that legal action will go forward.

There was no immediate comment Monday on Redding's death from Experience Hendrix, the company that controls the Hendrix empire.

After his Experience experience, Redding played guitar with Fat Mattress and later with Road and the Noel Redding Band.

In 1996, he outlined his rock 'n' roll woes in his autobiography, Are You Experienced?. A compilation CD of two Noel Redding Band albums, Clonakilty Cowboys and Blowin', was reissued in 2000 on One Way Records. His most recent release, a concert set titled Live from Bunkr--Prague, was released by Grant's Track Records last year.

Redding is survived by his longtime companion, Deborah McNaughton. She released a brief statement to Billboard.com calling Redding an "extremely gentle and gracious soul. He had a kind of chivalry and nobility about him and he was kind to everyone bar none, people and animals alike."

Sad O' Day just a Bad O' Day....

05-13-03 04:32 AM
RubyFriday Sad Sad Sad

05-13-03 06:53 AM
Lazy Bones Only 57...tragic!
05-13-03 08:49 AM
steel driving hammer Hey Joe & Voodoo Chile were extremely great songs.

Didn't he do a couple of tunes w/ Dylan?
05-13-03 09:04 AM
vampire That is very sad.

05-13-03 09:11 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, indeed this is very sad, he was a great musician and a lucky one as he made a team with one of the greatest.

He was a friend of Brian Jones, in fact his first encounter with LSD was via Brian Jones who gave him acid in a trip from London to NYC so it was a double trip.

He quit the Jimi Hendrix exprience because a lot of differences with Jimi

RIP Noel
05-13-03 09:33 AM
J.J.Flash Oh, I'm so sorry..... tragic..... very young..... Noel is one of my fave bass players...... this guy was the Rock'n'Roll vein on the Experience group.
I'm so sorry...... Rest in Peace hero! I hope he could stay beside Jimi.....
05-13-03 10:32 AM
Zeeta Not good news - he contributed a fair bit to the experience and was overshowdowed, understandbly by Jimi.

I liked his tune "Little Miss Strange"

57 years old is too young - but it must have been an OK 57 being in a band with the greatest guitarist of all time!

RIP
05-13-03 10:43 AM
steel driving hammer Did Jimi play Lead or Rhythm?
05-13-03 11:41 AM
Zeeta I hope you were taking the piss!!!??

LOL!

Jimi Hendrix - a "rhythm" guitar player???

Noel was the bassist but was also a great guitarist himself.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, funnily enough, didn�t need a rhythm guitarist as well!

05-13-03 11:47 AM
moy rip noel

Rock musician Noel Redding attending the unveiling of a plaque at a house on Brook Street, London where guitarist Hendrix once lived in this September 1997 file photo. Redding, best known for his stint as the bassist of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, was found dead May 11 at his home in Ireland of unknown causes, his manager Ian Grant has confirmed to Billboard.com. He was 57. (AP Photo/Fiona Hanson)

05-13-03 02:03 PM
Joey Another Bass player " Hard as a Carp "

Perhaps I should take a long ' Dirt Nap ' myself .

Developing ...................................

Shiver .......................................

STONES !

Jacky !

05-13-03 04:32 PM
icydanger Sad sad sad

Same day
passed

No�l....
and Aga Khan
return to dust
05-14-03 09:52 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This was the header dedicated to Noel, a smaller version is in our Jimi Hendrix tribute

RIP Noel Redding
Performing Dylan's "All along the Watchtower" with Keith, Neil and Carlos
By Gary Gershoff

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003