ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Honolulu International Center, Hawaii - January 22, 1973
Richard Upper
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I got something to share.... Return to archive
05-12-03 04:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot So I got to thinkin' the other week....there sure are a lot of really great bands out there that don't get heard much. Fringe acts, so to speak. As far as I can tell, the only reason that they aren't huge is because they actually play good rock 'n roll music. Has anyone else besides me noticed that Rock music isn't very popular anymore?

Well, it's popular with me. I seek it out. I thought I should share some of what I have found with you all. Be forewarned...there is no Stones content. Some of these bands you may have heard...some have even gained some success lately. But by and large, many of you will probably say..."Who the fuck is that?" This is all officially released stuff. If you hear something you like, BUY THE ALBUM!!! Most of these bands need the cash.

1. Creepy Jackalope Eye, The Supersuckers, from "La Mano Cornuda"
2. Cool N' Out, Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, from "Global A Go-go"
3. You're Gonna Lose, Royal Trux, from "Thank You"
4. Border Palace, Ian Moore, from "Ian Moore Has Got The Green Grass"
5. Smack Me, The Billygoats, from "The Billygoats"
6. Guarded By Monkeys, Cracker, from "Forever"
7. Feel Good Hit Of The Summer, Queens Of The Stone Age, from "Rated R"
8. Go Away Devil, Blue Mountain, from the imported version of "Roots"
9. Hey Sally Mae, Detroit Cobras, from "Life, Love & Leaving"
10. Baddest Of The Bad, Rev. Horton Heat, from "Liquor In The Back"
11. Hate To Say I Told You So, The Hives, from "Vini, Vidi, Vicious"
12. Black Letter Day, Frank Black & The Catholics, from "Black Letter Day"
13. Dancing On The Ashes, Robbie Fulks, from "Couples In Trouble"
14. Is It Too Late, World Party, from "Goodbye Jumbo"
15. Dead Man In My Bed, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, from "Nocturama"
16. Whatever Happened To My Rock & Roll, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, from B.M.R.C.
17. No Language In Our Lungs, XTC, live version from the "Transistor Blast" box...the studio version is on "Black Sea"
18. I Climb, The Gravel Pit, from "Silver Gorilla"
19. Ball & Biscuit, The White Stripes, from "Elephant"
20. Nothing But The Shell, Steve Wynn, from "My Midnight"

Now, a few comments about this. This is a Rock and Roll compilation. Many different forms of rock music are represented, but is is ALL Rock 'N Roll. One thing you will notice is guitars. Lots of guitar. I am a fan of Rock N Roll guitar music. On some of these songs, the guitar clubs you over the head. On others it is more subtle. The one thing all these songs have in common is well played guitar.

If you end up with this compilation, do NOT expect me to pay for any speeding tickets that you end up with. Be very careful about playing this while you drive. Your foot will tend to press down hard on the accelerator.

Some of you will say, "Yeah SS, this is some great stuff, but my local Walmart doesn't have any of these artists. Where can I buy these CDs?"

I have 3 suggestions.

1. Find the artist's website. You will be able to buy directly from the artist in most cases.

2. Try Amazon or CDNow

3. There is a certain Nasty Habits fellow that haunts this board. He owns a record store, and he has mail order.
I'm sure he would be glad to have your business.

I will give this to everyone who sends me a blank, and a postage for return mailing. If you live outside the USA, just send me an extra blank or 2 to cover return postage. Use the PM function here at Rock Off to contact me. I will tell you the address to send your stuff after you contact me.

Don't turn away
Don't be afraid
My little turtle dove
Take your hands
And smack me with your love

--"Smack Me" by The Billygoats
05-12-03 04:43 PM
jb Thanks SS!!!
05-12-03 04:54 PM
Joey Thanks Stoney ...........................

A veritable compelling and illuminating Howard Carter like find .............................................

You are much loved by the Joey .

Jacky Boy !
05-12-03 06:13 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy SS, I have heard "Ball and Biscuit", "Guarded By Monkeys" and "Whatever Happened To My Rock'n'Roll" before, and all are indeed quality numbers, though I like "Whatever Happened to My Rock'n'Roll" the most, and I'm seriously considering, once I get paid, going out and snagging a copy of B.R.M.C.. I read their interview in Mojo (the issue headlined by McCartney) and was pretty impressed, so I snagged "Whatever Happened" off of Kazaa and gave it a whirl to see if I liked their sound.

I listened to an album of The Hives's over the summer and went "Hmm... there might be something there, I'd have to listen again," and never got to. I wasn't exactly in the rightest state of mind at the time. The Queens of the Stone Age I know only through "No One Knows", which is a pretty good song with some pretty crappy production.

I'll give a few of these numbers a listen. Thank you, it's always nice to try some new music.

-tSYX --- Have a cigar...

*edit*: Why did I say "both" instead of "all" in the first paragraph? I'll never know, I guess.
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
05-12-03 06:26 PM
Honky Tonk Man I saw both BRMC and Queens Of The Stone Age earlier this year. Both are great bands and well worth checking out. Especially live. My ears were bleeding after the Black Rebel show!

Alex
05-12-03 06:32 PM
stewed & Keefed YOUR RIGHT THERE ALEX BOTH GREAT BANDS
05-12-03 06:59 PM
Nasty Habits What a great comp! I am sure that any Stones afficianado would find rock aplenty on that!

Thanks for the plug, good Sir! You are thoughtful and always valiant & chivalrous.

As a matter of interesting fact, since SS has mentioned that I do do mail order, I would like to announce that I am in the middle of working on a rather ambitious and interesting web project right now, http://www.whizzkid1.com . Records, CDs opinion, commentary, weird ass t-shirts, surrealistic humor, and other stuff a little too strange to directly mention. I will let you all know when this site goes live, but for the moment I would always welcome your e-mailed requests. If I don't have it, I probably know where to get it.

This is probably more appropriate for the tell us a cool website thread, but have any of you guys ever wasted any time over at

http://www.homestarrunner.com

?

That is the most deranged and cool cartoon website I have ever had the pleasure to encounter.

Strong Bad rules.

You esp. need to see it, SS.

Other than that, I got to spend a rather awesome Saturday night in the company of the Cramps!

They played an amazing show at the Orange Peel here in Assville. Their new bass player is fantastic. Lux and Ivy are always consistent, so I've found over the years that the quality of a Cramps show is directly related to whomever is in the rhythm section at the moment. And their current rhythm section is positively filthy, giving the Cramps an appropriately thumping, evil sound. They played about seven songs off of their pretty good new record, and quite a few other classics from various points in their career - Garbage Man, Dames Furs Chains Boots, Muleskinner Blues, Psychotic Reaction, without relying too heavily on obvious classics (no Human Fly, no Rockin' Bones, no Bop Pills, like that). It was extremely vital and exciting. Poison Ivy's guitar tone continues to shut down all comers, a weird combination of Steve Jones and Link Wray. While she played guitar her skirt kept riding up, so by the end of the night it was one big constant panty shot. At one point Lux sang Surfin Bird through a leather boot he'd put over his head. The Cramps have not always been the hottest band in the land, but after seeing them last night I would recommend them to anyone who wants to see a crazy funny stanky rock 'n' roll show. I would put them up against any band currently making waves in "new garage" and I am sure the Cramps would shut them down.

Got to go back stage after the show and meet them. It was loads of fun. The minute I stepped back there, Lux demanded he take a picture of me spanking Trixie (me weef) while Poison Ivy stood over us on a couch egging us on. Crazy to think what the old perv will do with it. Trixie is in charge of hospitality at the Orange Peel, which means she takes care of all the bands. The Cramps were especially in love with her -- Lux kept saying to me over and over again, "You're a very lucky man! You're a very lucky man!" with this leering creepy look on his face, sounding vaguely like Peter Lorre. There was this really funny 15 year old girl with braces and rubber bands in her mouth who was obviously in love with Poison Ivy. She'd talked her way into the show and then back stage, and it was totally amusing to watch Ivy pour the girl and chat her up. When she took off, everybody just started laughing. I just had to shake my head and say, "Well, I'm glad to know you guys are just as bad as I've always believed you were."

They took my compliment.

So hooray for the Cramps. I had a badass Saturday night.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
05-12-03 07:06 PM
winter ss: -

haven't gotten through your whole list, but to add my $.02 - the Super Suckers rock - If you don't have it, you have to get "Must of Been Live" -its a live compilation of many of their country twang songs - Amy Nelson and Ollie Freed (sp?) (Black Crowes) guests on it. It is a littly goofy at times, but I love it, especially for the summer,
05-12-03 08:02 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

http://www.homestarrunner.com

?

That is the most deranged and cool cartoon website I have ever had the pleasure to encounter.

Strong Bad rules.

Nasty, you is my hero.

To those of you wondering what the hell this Strong Bad thing is, go to the main page of it, after the odd little intro thing, and go to "toons", then "weekly features" section, and click on "Strong Bad E-Mail".

And watch all of them, if you have time. Do it over a few days, but My particular favorite is the one labeled "sb_email22".

I heard the guys who do this on the radio - they're nuts. Some of it borders on the childish, but most of it's just pretty damn funny.

Also worth checking out is their series called "Teen Girl Squad". Cracks me up every time.

Nasty Habits, you have some very eclectic tastes, but you run a record store, so I guess that's OK.

And, I seem to recall you once ran a message board... for about three hours.

-tSYX --- ARROWED!
05-12-03 08:24 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Nasty Habits, you have some very eclectic tastes, but you run a record store, so I guess that's OK.

It all comes from not having a real job.

See if you can try it, zizz!

The Burninator!

05-13-03 07:07 AM
Zeeta I also saw BRMC last year, it was there lst show of the tour and they played loud and fuckin' dangerous - I donned my black leather biker jacket outta respect!!

The album is neat and they played stuff from the new album which is to be released soon.
Spread you love - is directly lifted from Spirit In the Sky, but is well done and they carry it off well.

I agree Honky Tonk Man - my ears were nearly bleeding and would say that it is easily the loudest show I have EVER attended - they just kept turning it up until the last song which was SO loud!
Whatever Happened...is inspired by The Who I do believe.

SS - BAll and Biscuit is definitely the best tune on Elephant also - good call!

I enjoy The Hives also - fuckin GREAT live, The frontman "Howlin' Pelle Almqvist" (what a name!) is a great Jagger esque performer!

Matt

[Edited by Zeeta]
05-13-03 07:21 AM
Jumacfly Hi Sir!
you talk about cracker, i love this band , and if I can advice a good album from this band, I recommend "garage d or", a great compilation, and "kerosene hat", featuring "lonesome jonnhy blues", "euro trash girl", and many others ..."forever", their last record, rules too.

Cheers, and long life to rock n roll!!

JU
05-13-03 07:29 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, SS!
05-13-03 10:09 AM
jb Thanks again SS........
05-13-03 03:39 PM
Martha Oh, I''ve been waiting for this one to pop up!! Thanks so much for putting it together Sir Stonesy!! Can't wait to give it a listen.

I'm sending my package out to you today..with a surprise included for your viewing pleasure and to thank you for doing this for everyone here at RO.

You ROCK!

Hugsies,
Martha
05-13-03 07:01 PM
Nasty Habits You're Gonna Lose, Royal Trux, from "Thank You"

I didn't notice this was on there until today -- what a great song. What a great album! 70s stoner rock as punk rock art statement - total ear candy & total brilliance.

You got to hitch your rock to the ray-o-vac!

05-14-03 12:09 AM
parmeda SS, do ya ever sleep? LOL...

Thanks...this is going to be great!
05-14-03 01:55 AM
Dan I listen to the Royal Trux album all the time, definitely the best stoner album ever; and I love that Supersuckers album. The one after it was kinda weak though and never bought any others after that. SS or anyone, if you go see them this tour get there early and see Throwrag, one of the top 2 or 3 bands of the last 10 years.
I still dont have Nocturama but I just got "Songwriters Circle" with Nick Cave, John Cale, and Chrissy Hynde and listened to it about 10 times already since the weekend.
05-14-03 10:15 AM
Sir Stonesalot Hey Dan...

I need your address. I want to send you a copy of the Stones covers disc I made up. Some of the stuff you sent me made it on there, and you get a copy for helping out. I thought I had you in my Rolodex, but alas...

Also, do NOT skip "Nocturama". It is fantastic. And make sure to check out the imbedded video.
05-15-03 03:50 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Dan wrote:
I listen to the Royal Trux album all the time, definitely the best stoner album ever; and I love that Supersuckers album. The one after it was kinda weak though and never bought any others after that. SS or anyone, if you go see them this tour get there early and see Throwrag, one of the top 2 or 3 bands of the last 10 years.
I still dont have Nocturama but I just got "Songwriters Circle" with Nick Cave, John Cale, and Chrissy Hynde and listened to it about 10 times already since the weekend.

What's up with Throwrag, Dan? I haven't heard of them.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003