ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
© Retna Gracias Gypsy!!
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: REAL PIANO THIS TOUR!! Return to archive
May 13th, 2005 10:41 AM
nellcotecountryband how in the hell can bruce hornsby afford to haul around a Steinway and the Stones a plug in synth. the sound, no matter how far they've come, is just not there.

he needs a rhodes or wurlitzer, a clavinet, and a real piano. that's all.

hell i'd even stand for an upright piano. just no synths.

how can keef and ronnie play all those collectible guitars and amps, and then allow those fake plastic piano sounds dominate the mix. DID THEY HAVE A SYNTH AT MUSCLE SHOALS?

dont think sooooooooooo

jj jimmy
May 13th, 2005 11:48 AM
The_Worst
quote:
nellcotecountryband wrote:
how in the hell can bruce hornsby afford to haul around a Steinway and the Stones a plug in synth. the sound, no matter how far they've come, is just not there.

he needs a rhodes or wurlitzer, a clavinet, and a real piano. that's all.

hell i'd even stand for an upright piano. just no synths.

how can keef and ronnie play all those collectible guitars and amps, and then allow those fake plastic piano sounds dominate the mix. DID THEY HAVE A SYNTH AT MUSCLE SHOALS?

dont think sooooooooooo

jj jimmy

I agree!! I don't think Chuck is a bad piano player...I just hate the sound of his Synth. I sounds like a 5 year old banging away on his first Casio!! Give Chuck a nice grand piano and all will be alright...
May 13th, 2005 01:11 PM
billy Give Chuck anything but don't take him on tour. I think Mick can do the essential piano parts himself. I liked his playing on 'Worried about you'.
May 13th, 2005 01:38 PM
ResidentMule you mean that one chord he kept hitting the whole time he was playing it. plus I think it took away from his vocals
Chuck would be great if he didn't use such shitty effects. I can't knock him for his playing
May 13th, 2005 01:47 PM
billy
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
you mean that one chord he kept hitting the whole time he was playing it. plus I think it took away from his vocals
Chuck would be great if he didn't use such shitty effects. I can't knock him for his playing

you underestimate Jagger!
May 13th, 2005 01:55 PM
Moonisup what's wrong with the chuckster
May 13th, 2005 02:02 PM
ResidentMule I don't underestimate Jagger. I'm sure he knows his way around the piano and can write some damn good tunes on it, but if your talkin about Worried About You on Four Flicks, Chuck was doin most of that. and at the age he's gettin at I'd rather Mick just work on his voice more. not that he's been slacking, but it can always do him good

getting Chuck something that actually sounds like an intrument is the way to go
May 13th, 2005 02:09 PM
billy well I don't agree Mule. I think Chuck has lost all credit.
May 13th, 2005 05:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl From the very own words of Nicky Hopkins our space for him (The second edition is almost done)

http://www.rocksoff.org/nicky.htm

"The electric piano is just a different instrument," he asserts. "You can't replace a grand piano with an electric. A lot of bands make the mistake of recording with an acoustic piano, and then going out on stage with an electric.

Using the electric is a lot easier than renting out a piano at each gig and then spending a half hour putting the pickup on it, but for me, the sound of the acoustic is worth the trouble."

When he was touring with the Jerry Garcia band in 1976, Hopkins was spared the trouble of playing on rented pianos - he carried one with him. In place of the Countryman piano pickups he used for many years, he was using a Helpinstill [Helpinstill Designs, 6124 Jessamine, Houston, TX 77036].

"The Helpinstill has much less hum than the Countryman," he reports, "and you can turn it up much louder without getting feed-back. It works on a magnetic principle like a guitar pickup, with six metal bars that you mount as close to the strings as you can." Hopkins claims that getting adequate volume out of an acoustic piano has never been a problem for him.

Nicky by Baron Wolman 1968
May 13th, 2005 07:29 PM
Soldatti Great words from Nicky, I miss him a lot.
May 13th, 2005 11:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl So travel with a real piano and Mac the only survivor of stones alike pianists

May 14th, 2005 09:42 AM
Lord Homosex Excellent post!! As much as I hate Leavell they are not going to ditch him. The idea of Mac (and Taylor and/or Wyman) coming along is just a pipedream at this point. It will be Chucky. So yes - minimize the damage and at least get him some real keys to tinker around with. He already has so very liottle tact and dynamics that a NON-touch sensitive synth makes it worse. get him a piano. You're right, they lug around these priceless guitar for Keith and Ron. Ron who iosn't even up in the mix. They change guitar for literally every tune which is overkill IMO.
May 15th, 2005 12:22 PM
JaggerLips I'll get slated for this, how about Jools Holland on a grand piano????

May 15th, 2005 12:49 PM
billy
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
I'll get slated for this, how about Jools Holland on a grand piano????

not such a bad idea. Holland knows how to swing!
May 15th, 2005 02:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A real piano and real pianist it's needed, but as hard as having Stu back...

Jamming with Billy Preston, Giorgio Moroder, Mick, Keith and Charlie
Musicland Studios, Munich - November 1973
© Michael Putland with thanks to Gypsy!
May 15th, 2005 02:28 PM
TooTough
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
what's wrong with the chuckster

He seems to fuck turkeys ;-)
May 15th, 2005 09:22 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
nellcotecountryband wrote:
how in the hell can bruce hornsby afford to haul around a Steinway and the Stones a plug in synth. the sound, no matter how far they've come, is just not there.

I'm just laughing because you invoked the name of Bruce Horsnby. That guy had no business being in the Dead.

But, yes, at least he uses a freakin' piano.
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour