ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
© Retna Gracias Gypsy!!
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Otis Rush Birthday Celebration in Chicago [KRC] Return to archive
May 12th, 2005 03:18 AM
polksalad69 2005-05-11
Tribute to Otis Rush @ Legends, Chicago
(Otis' 70th Birthday Party)

Carlos Johnson
Lurrie Bell
Jimmy Johnson
Jody Williams
Billy Boy Arnold
Eddy "the Chief" Clearwater
Ronnie Baker Brooks
Lonnie Brooks
Buddy Guy

Carl Weathersby (WOW)
Nellie Tiger Travis
Otis Clay
Syl Johnson ("Take me to the River")
Phil "Where's your Brother" Guy
Sharon Lewis
Lindsey Alexander
Chico Banks
Big James of Big James and the Playboys
Billy Branch
Vino Louden

The first set had the names but the second set, holy shit!!! Carl's got dat magic you used to hear Luther Allison possessed. Syl was funky as hell and Phil is one smooth motherfucker. Nice rug too. Brother John sat in on keys and Giles Corey played second guitar most of the night. The heavy metal blues cats kept the histrionics in check and everyone gave props to da man, let me hear you say yeah!!! Otis was in da house but he's not doing well. Minor stroke, I doubt dat. He and his lady, you know who I'm talking about, seemed to be enjoying themselves though. Too bad, I hope the hellhounds aren't still on his trail. What a FUCKING night of BLUES!!! Flowers courtesy of Carlos Santana and EC and Keith Richards (yeah right) sent birthday wishes to Otis.

pictures to follow
May 14th, 2005 10:43 AM
polksalad69 I guess there's a tour or something but for my $10 I got to see a bunch of old guys dat can still play. Well, Otis can't right now but there was no shortage of old guys and for the most part they looked pretty good for their age. Set one photos below.

http://community.webshots.com/album/344194033hYpyzW

Set two later...
May 14th, 2005 11:52 PM
parmeda Thanks polk!
I could kick myself for forgetting about this. ...Probably because it was during the middle of the week.

Looking forward to seeing the other pics

May 15th, 2005 09:57 AM
dave29 I was at the show, and did not know what to expect. I was in Chicago (from NY) for 3 days, and my friend mentioned Otis Rush's Birthday Celebration at Buddy Guy's. We went expecting to see some good blues, but had NO IDEA what we were about to witness. All i can say is HOLY SHIT. We were only going to go for an hour or so (after all, i had to work the next day), but we ended up staying until the end. It was unreal, and even the musicians seemed amazed with the turnout. The jam at the end was priceless, and my favorite moment had to be Carl Weathersby's solo! That guy can play!
May 15th, 2005 11:44 AM
polksalad69
quote:
dave29 wrote:
I was at the show, and did not know what to expect. I was in Chicago (from NY) for 3 days, and my friend mentioned Otis Rush's Birthday Celebration at Buddy Guy's. We went expecting to see some good blues, but had NO IDEA what we were about to witness. All i can say is HOLY SHIT. We were only going to go for an hour or so (after all, i had to work the next day), but we ended up staying until the end. It was unreal, and even the musicians seemed amazed with the turnout. The jam at the end was priceless, and my favorite moment had to be Carl Weathersby's solo! That guy can play!

That about sums it up. It could have been a trainwreck and I was going to take off after the first few acts of the second set but like you say, HOLY SHIT, Carl was amazing. I was back at Legends on Friday night and out last night but I'll get the photos from the second set (including the jam) up soon.
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour