ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Swinging London" Appreciation Thread Return to archive
13th May 2006 12:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Swinging London
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swinging London is a catchall term applied to a variety of dynamic cultural trends in the United Kingdom (centred in London, as the dominant city) in the 1960s. Much of the phenomenon was youth oriented and emphasized the new and modern, and amounted to a cultural revolution in the United Kingdom. It was a period of optimism as well as hedonism, as was the sixties in much of the Western world.

It notably includes the famous popular music of the period, when the United Kingdom dominated the international industry, but also fashion, photography, film, and the arts (pop art, etc.). Its most prominent symbols were perhaps the Beatles, the literary character James Bond created by novelist Ian Fleming, and Mod fashions such as the miniskirt.

This period in British history has been lovingly parodied in the nostalgic/anachronistic Austin Powers films starring Canadian comedian and TV personality Mike Myers.

One of the catalysts was the recovery of the British economy and consumerism from the post World War II period of austerity and rationing which lasted through much of the 1950s.

13th May 2006 12:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Mini-Skirt.
An Incredible innovation.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
13th May 2006 12:18 PM
MrPleasant
Michael James (Peter O'Toole): Did you find a job?

Victor Skakapopulis (Woody Allen): Yeah, I got something at the striptease. I help the girls dress and undress.

Michael James: Nice job.

Victor Skakapopulis: Twenty francs a week.

Michael James: Not very much.

Victor Skakapopulis: It's all I can afford.

[Edited by MrPleasant]
14th May 2006 08:19 PM
FrankiePeppers

15th May 2006 12:41 AM
BrianJonesGirl YEAH BABY!!!!!!
15th May 2006 06:47 AM
M.O.W.A.T. For more on Swinging London, I highly recommend this book --- lots of Stones content (as well as Michael Caine and Terence Stamp, David Bailey, Mary Quant and Vidal Sassoon). An excellent read!

15th May 2006 08:15 AM
corgi37 Frankly, i've always been more attracted to the Sth Cal type of hippie 60's. It's just...me. Frankly, anywhere would have been better than Australia back then, but U.S. West Coast - man, what a trip.

Leary, Doors, Byrds, Janis, Berkeley, Shelby Mustangs, Dead, Creedance, CSNY, Monteray, Manson, Altamont - the list goes on for me. I just get the feeling that it was always sunny, always some thing new happening. Blonde haired, blue eyed (and STD free) hippie girls running around, surfing, fucking, doping. I can sure imagine myself in Venice, or San Diego, or maybe even up at the Haight.

I cant remember the movies name, but a flick with Sharon Tate & Tony Curtis is simply my idea of Sth Cal living. I wish i could remember the name. The finale featured a beach house tumbling down a hillside with Curtis & Tate in it. Oh, and THE PARTY. That is 60's U.S. to me. Woodstock too, but thats more East Coast. Same with HAIR.

Banana Splits. Scooby Doo. Get Smart. Batman. Gilligan's Island. Julia. Ed Sullivan.

The only bummer about it all, as here, was that fucking draft!

Not to denigrate Swinging London (which swang like a pendulum do!), but its all the way with the USA for me.

I imagine myself as the blonde teen kid from Flipper. Of course, my wife does too! hahahaha.

Fuck i wish i had a time machine.
[Edited by corgi37]
15th May 2006 01:51 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I cant remember the movies name, but a flick with Sharon Tate & Tony Curtis is simply my idea of Sth Cal living. I wish i could remember the name.

"DON'T MAKE WAVES"?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)