ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More details about the coconut story Return to archive
12th May 2006 05:50 PM
Jeep From New Zealand Herald may 13th 2006 :

Richards coming right after coco-nutty exploits
By David Eames

CP Patel's New World supermarket in Suva sells coconuts for 50c each, a price hellraiser Keith Richards could ponder as he recuperates after a 5m fall from a coconut palm.

The rock'n'roll wildman could have bought 1000 coconuts for every night he spent in a $500-a-night room in the Ascot Hospital in Auckland.

Richards, 62, was holidaying at Fiji's exclusive Wakaya Island resort with wife Patti Hansen and old pal and bandmate Ronnie Wood and his wife Jo when the accident happened late last month.

The $2500-a-night resort boasts numerous activities - including scuba diving and snorkelling - but "Keef" and Ronnie decided on more altitudinous pursuits, witnesses said.

He and Woods, 58, are understood to have been about 5m up, picking coconuts, when Richards fell.

"Picking coconuts is quite common on the island, it's just that Keith had a bit of an accident coming down," one resident said. Other guests said the men had "shared bottles of vodka during the day and switched to rum drinks at night".

Dr Uzzal Kanti Dhar of Suva Private Hospital got himself in trouble when he revealed Richards had "climbed a coconut tree ... and got injured". That comment constituted a breach of medical ethics, according to hospital chief executive Tim Smart, who said he would be fired. Dr Dhar yesterday denied having commented on Richards' condition and continues to practise out of the hospital.

Stones publicists said Richards was suffering a mild concussion, but it was decided to fly him to Auckland "as a precautionary measure".

An air ambulance spokesman could not give a specific cost for such an airlift. "All I can say is it is expensive. I suggest everybody take travel insurance."

Richards was taken to the Ascot in Ellerslie, where a small group of fans appeared to lend support and Hansen was seen carrying in guitar cases.

British papers claimed she had been smuggling vodka to her ailing husband.

Richards was discharged about May 2, but was back a few days later, and last Monday had an operation to drain blood from inside his skull.

Reports of an earlier operation have been denied by Ascot chairman Dr Richard Fisher, though they still have some currency with London's Sun newspaper. An operation at the Ascot costs $21 a minute, a night in intensive care, $929.

Publicists who previously had insisted the star was suffering only mild concussion confirmed the Monday procedure, but said the patient was "up and talking" with family soon after.

Six family members attended at the rocker's bedside following the surgery, including Hansen, eldest son Marlon and his wife, and daughters Angela, Theodora and Alexandra, prompting further speculation.

A crescendo of minor revelations, mostly from the Northern Hemisphere, culminated on Wednesday with reports out of London that Richards might never play guitar live again, was possibly brain damaged and partially paralysed.

The next morning, Richards walked out of the Ascot under his own steam. With a brief statement of thanks to hospital staff, he disappeared to an undisclosed suburban Auckland location to await the all-clear to fly out of the country.
12th May 2006 05:56 PM
Jeep Pictures from Wakaya Island Resort in Fiji, it looks a slight better than a Motel 6 :

[Edited by Jeep]
12th May 2006 06:07 PM
Gazza Looks a right shithole, doesnt it...?
12th May 2006 06:10 PM
sirmoonie 5 meters up - bullshit. Coconuts don't start growing until at least 9 meters up the tree. You can't believe any of the stuff the DLM writes.
12th May 2006 06:16 PM
glencar Is that one of the offending trees in the bottom left photo? Nice work, Jeep!
12th May 2006 06:26 PM
Saint Sway I'm actually amazed that Keith could climb the trees with those narly arthritic fingers. Pretty impressive. Even if he did fall on his head.
12th May 2006 06:29 PM
Jeep Damn ! The owner of the resort is named....David Gilmour !
(it's true !)
I guess it's an homonym, if not, it's a conspiracy.
12th May 2006 06:31 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Looks a right shithole, doesnt it...?

Hey!! I'd stay in that shithole and climb a tree for coconuts too!!
12th May 2006 07:21 PM
Soldatti can't believe he fell from there
12th May 2006 07:23 PM
jostorm Perhaps the palm trees they were climbing weren't growing perpendicularly???? Where I grew up they certainly don't, which is why practically everyone is capable of climbing them ... This is starting to sound like one of those maths question in an exam for a 12 year old:
If Keith Richards climbs a coconut palm tree, the palm tree carries coconuts at 9 metres length , and he accidentally falls exactly 5 metres to the ground and bumps his head, at which angle does this tree grow???

I kinda feel sorry for the doctor who got sacked, was probably just a bit naive and overwhelmed by the sudden media attention (and some clever journalist) in such a remote place...
Although , on second thought and after looking at the pictures of the shithole location, I don't feel sorry anymore. I hope he had to find a new job somewhere in the North of England! (bastard!)
12th May 2006 07:41 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch Looking at those trees, Keith's one LUCKY bastard to stay there but also that he didn't break his neck when he fell on his head! I'm not very good at physics either, but to fall on ones head from any of the trees in those photos looks like it would do some major damage. It's amazing he didn't do more damage to himself.
12th May 2006 08:30 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
If Keith Richards climbs a coconut palm tree, the palm tree carries coconuts at 9 metres length , and he accidentally falls exactly 5 metres to the ground and bumps his head, at which angle does this tree grow???

13th May 2006 09:52 AM
Monkey Woman Well, the reports didn't say if he was on the way up or down ;-)
13th May 2006 09:56 AM
MrPleasant "Picking coconuts is quite common on the island"

Yeah, when you're like 18.
13th May 2006 10:08 AM
GotToRollMe OMG, look at how blue that water is! Kinda reminds me of Aruba, but even better. Nice work, Jeep!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
13th May 2006 08:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Does cocaine come from coconuts???
13th May 2006 08:23 PM
MrPleasant "The two basic items necessary to sustain life are sunshine and coconut milk. That's a known fact".

13th May 2006 08:55 PM
LadyJane

WTF?? All the money I've/we've spent on these guys....they should send ALL of RO there for a lil retreat.

Keep dreaming....looks gorgeous.

LJ.
13th May 2006 10:00 PM
the good This guy Jeep is a fraud. Those pictures were clearly taken just off the boardwalk in Atlantic City.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)