ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Claim that Scots invented rock 'n' roll hits bum note Return to archive
12th May 2006 12:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Claim that Scots invented rock 'n' roll hits bum note
RHIANNON EDWARD
scotsman.com

AN ATTEMPT to boost tourism by claiming rock 'n' roll and country music were invented by Scots has been criticised by musicologists.

A Scottish Executive website claims that stars such as Elvis Presley, Hank Williams and Little Richard were influenced by Scottishs folk music.

The Executive's Scotlandnow website - aimed at expats - has been accused of "romantic nationalism" by music experts after claiming that modern music was shaped by Scots who fled to the New World during the 18th century.

Scottish Executive chiefs want to use the country's "jock and roll" links to attract American Scots to visit their ancestral homeland. But some experts have criticised the website for exaggerating Scotland's role, and said that the country's influence was "negligible" in shaping the American musical scene of the 1950s and 60s.

The article - written on the arts and culture page of the Friends of Scotland's Scotlandnow site, claims that the 250,000 Scots who fled to the new world in the 18th century took the folk songs which eventually mutated into rock 'and 'n' roll.

Professor Richard Peterson, of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, said: "It is safe to say that if the Scottish part of the British Isles had never existed US country music would be much as it is today
12th May 2006 12:55 PM
Saint Sway I thought the Ommish invented R&R
12th May 2006 02:04 PM
glencar I think country music was at least partly influenced by traditional Scots-Irish music. I'm not sure I'd base a tourism claim on that though.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)