ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Birthdsay Salvador Dali Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th May 2006 12:53 PM
FPM C10

Born this day in 1904 in Figueres, Catalonia, Spain - in the opinion of many (myself included), the greatest painter to ever wield a brush. I've been to the big Dali museum in St. Petersburg and attended the Dali show at the Philadelphia Museum of Art last year, and both left me speechless. After awhile you just can't wrap your brain around the fact that a human being created those paintings.

The fact that he was a self-mythologizing media whore made many art snobs downplay his brilliance during his lifetime, but a re-appraisal of his work makes Picasso look like a piker. The combination of his intense imagination with the ability to paint photo-realistic images makes his work endlessly fascinating. If you only know him as the guy who painted soft watches, or don't know him at all, do yourself a favor and search out his work.

11th May 2006 12:54 PM
jb Funny!!!! I own a few of his pieces(very low end stuff)......
11th May 2006 01:00 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Born this day in 1904 in Figueres, Catalonia, Spain - in the opinion of many (myself included), the greatest painter to ever wield a brush. I've been to the big Dali museum in St. Petersburg and attended the Dali show at the Philadelphia Museum of Art last year, and both left me speechless.

True, he's my favorite, really amazing. I'd love to visit the St. Petersburg museum one day.

I've seen the local museums and sites, the places he used to live, in Figueres (I walked over his grave quite a few times), in Pubol (his old home with Gala), Cadaques etc.

I've vacationed in that North-western area of Spain for most of my life (going again in 7 weeks time) and he's part of the natural heritage there, you see his influence and references to his work everywhere you look.
11th May 2006 01:02 PM
jb
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

True, he's my favorite, really amazing. I'd love to visit the St. Petersburg museum one day.

I've seen the local museums and sites, the places he used to live, in Figueres (I walked over his grave quite a few times), in Pubol (his old home with Gala), Cadaques etc.

I've vacationed in that North-western area of Spain for most of my life (going again in 7 weeks time) and he's part of the natural heritage there, you see his influence and references to his work everywhere you look.

he also painted a lot of crap...
11th May 2006 01:04 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
jb wrote:
he also painted a lot of crap...

The Stones made a lot of crap music as well, still we consider them the best...
11th May 2006 01:06 PM
GotToRollMe Happy Birthday Dali...an artistic genius and a true original.
11th May 2006 01:12 PM
jb
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

The Stones made a lot of crap music as well, still we consider them the best...

Agreed(see ABB).
11th May 2006 01:19 PM
FPM C10 Yes, good analogy...however, Dali's "Golden Age" lasted about 30 years, rather than 6 (Stones 66-72).

Another significance of today's date - on this day in 1981, Bob Marley died.

In his memory, may I suggest...smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

One Love!
11th May 2006 01:21 PM
jb
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Yes, good analogy...however, Dali's "Golden Age" lasted about 30 years, rather than 6 (Stones 66-72).

Another significance of today's date - on this day in 1981, Bob Marley died.

In his memory, may I suggest...smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

One Love!

I would say the Stones were "Golden" from 62-82.....
11th May 2006 01:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot Happy birthday Mr. Dali!

Hope you get your knob gobbled.

In his honor, this evening I shall spin the Pixies "Debaser".
11th May 2006 01:24 PM
glencar I saw him once on an old rerun of "What's My Line" from the 1950's. A terrifically funny man although his art isn't as good as Picasso's.
11th May 2006 01:34 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I saw him once on an old rerun of "What's My Line" from the 1950's. A terrifically funny man although his art isn't as good as Picasso's.

Agreed............."never deprive someone of hope, it might be all they have"-H.Jackson Brwon, Jr.
11th May 2006 01:37 PM
glencar You're quoting black radicals now? LOL
11th May 2006 01:39 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
You're quoting black radicals now? LOL

"There are two ways of exerting one's strength;one is pushing down, the other is pulling up'-Booker T. Washington
11th May 2006 01:40 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:
I saw him once on an old rerun of "What's My Line" from the 1950's. A terrifically funny man although his art isn't as good as Picasso's.

True, he's no Bob Ross...

11th May 2006 01:43 PM
jb The 75 keith picture above is cool!!!!
11th May 2006 01:54 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
The 75 keith picture above is cool!!!!

That's EXACTLY what he looked like the first time I saw him (6/30/75) except he had on a blue shirt.
11th May 2006 02:02 PM
FPM C10 I spelled "Birthday" wrong!

D'Oh!

Man, senility is a BITCH.

11th May 2006 02:04 PM
jb Yes...75 was my first as well....Keith had some very cool leather pants that tour...
11th May 2006 02:10 PM
FPM C10 They must've smelled great by the end of the tour - he has them on in every single picture I've ever seen of the TOTA!
11th May 2006 02:12 PM
jb It's possible!!!
11th May 2006 02:19 PM
FPM C10 In Creem magazine they asked Woody about biting Keith's toe for the Warhol polaroids that made up the cover of Love You Live. Woody said "For a guy who never bathes, Keith doesn't stink much."
11th May 2006 02:23 PM
jb
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
In Creem magazine they asked Woody about biting Keith's toe for the Warhol polaroids that made up the cover of Love You Live. Woody said "For a guy who never bathes, Keith doesn't stink much."

Ronnie was the smelly one.
11th May 2006 02:36 PM
glencar That's what some gossipy book said a few years back.
11th May 2006 02:44 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
That's what some gossipy book said a few years back.

Correct again....!!!! Blue, do you get tipped off when someone famous is flying in?
11th May 2006 03:18 PM
gimmekeef Was Dali the guy that painted that church ceiling years ago?.....
11th May 2006 08:23 PM
stonedinaustralia hey FPM have you read Orwell's essay on Dali "With the Benefit of Clergy"??

if not, i'm sure you would enjoy it - while Orwell is definitely not a fan he still offers some interesting insights into the man and his work

here's the link if you like

http://www.orwell.ru/library/reviews/dali/english/e_dali

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12th May 2006 12:34 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

Correct again....!!!! Blue, do you get tipped off when someone famous is flying in?

Very occasionally. Air Force One for sure.
12th May 2006 09:23 AM
Candace Youngblood Hi. I stopped in for a visit. I just wanted to say that I can't believe how different the first painting you posted (Soft Construction With Boiled Beans:Premontition of Civil War)looks in real life. It looks completely different. Dali's genius must be examined up close and personal...it doesn't do it justice when posted on the internet...or even in a picture book. I liked him before I ever saw anything for real...and after I did, he became my favorite artist. The colors and lighting in that painting were so realistic...it seemed as if there was a flashlight shining through the canvas from behind. Amazing.

And I was always a die-hard Picasso fan. Not that I don't still love his stuff, too, but Dali moved up a notch.

Anyway, happy belated.....(((Dali)))

~Candy~
12th May 2006 09:40 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Now your talking. I am the unoffical Ambassador of St. Petersburg and I have to say that it is probably the greatest city in the US, if not the world. Please come for the Dali Museum, but keep in mind that once you come to the STP, you may never want to leave. It truly is God's country.

TBS
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)