ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who else here didn't know the Stones were 2nd best selling group in world? Return to archive
10th May 2006 10:47 PM
AlexKx Who else here did not know that the Rolling Stones were the best selling group behind the Beatles in terms of record sales? Someone on this site just accused me of making things up by me stating this. I am shocked but that's o.k. I understand if someone did not know but to accuse me of lying about it isn't right either.
10th May 2006 11:16 PM
Steel Wheels Let's get some well wishes for keith posted, pronto!

10th May 2006 11:51 PM
tookthatname actually the best selling group would probably be The Wrecking Crew.
11th May 2006 05:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
AlexKx wrote:
Who else here did not know that the Rolling Stones were the best selling group behind the Beatles in terms of record sales? Someone on this site just accused me of making things up by me stating this. I am shocked but that's o.k. I understand if someone did not know but to accuse me of lying about it isn't right either.

you need a crash course in sensitivity training if you think a two word response of "since when?" is accusing you of "making things up" or "lying".

Sorry you're so upset. For the record, the second biggest selling group of all time is probably Led Zeppelin.

In the US alone, theyre 44 million albums ahead of the Stones, who are only the joint 6th biggest selling group. While different markets would see different bands do better than others, somehow I cant see the Stones overcoming a deficit of that size in worldwide sales considering the US is the worlds biggest market

Biggest selling bands (US album sales in millions)

1. The Beatles (168.5)
2. Led Zeppelin (109.5)
3. The Eagles (91)
4. Pink Floyd (73.5)
5. ACDC (66)
6.= Rolling Stones (65.5)
6.= Aerosmith (65.5)
8. Metallica (57)
9. Van Halen (56.5)
10. U2 (50.5)

If you were to translate that into worldwide sales, my guess would be the Stones would probably be 5th, maybe 4th at most.

Counting solo artists, The Stones are the joint 11th biggest selling act in US history for album sales.

source :

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp
11th May 2006 08:24 AM
corgi37 Typical blind Yanks. The world stops at the fucking New York or San Francisco (or Kalamazoo).

I think you'll find Abba are now the worlds largest selling band. Yes, outselling the beastly Fab 4. The Stones are not even on the bloody radar.

Yet, who has played to more people than any one in history?
11th May 2006 09:43 AM
tookthatname The Wrecking Crew were a group of studio musicians who earned their name because they walked into the LA music scene in the late sixties and early seventies and wrecked it for everyone else.

Some of the artists they played with were The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, The Monkees, The Mamas and The Papas, and The Beach Boys.

Hal Blaine, the drummer has over 300 gold records under his belt. More than anyone else. Other members were Sonny Bono, Glen Campbell, Leon Russell.

I think they might be the largest selling band, surely more gold records than anyone else.
11th May 2006 09:57 AM
corgi37 Man, you are everywhere!

Fuck off.
11th May 2006 10:07 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Typical blind Yanks. The world stops at the fucking New York or San Francisco (or Kalamazoo).

I think you'll find Abba are now the worlds largest selling band. Yes, outselling the beastly Fab 4. The Stones are not even on the bloody radar.

Good call, Corgi. Wikipedia guess-timates that ABBA is the largest selling in the world, although there is no difinitive way to prove it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

SV

11th May 2006 10:07 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Typical blind Yanks. The world stops at the fucking New York or San Francisco (or Kalamazoo).

Yet, who has played to more people than any one in history?

forgot about Abba. They have almost certainly sold more than every other group apart from The Beatles. The US was the only major market where they werent absolutely huge. (I've read theyve outsold the Beatles too, but I find that impossible to believe)

I would imagine that by now the Stones may have played to more people than anyone, although I would think that the Grateful Dead would have run them close while they were still an active band when Garcia was alive
11th May 2006 05:01 PM
AlexKx Thank you all for the discussion on this as some people are unable to at times for whatever reasons. BUT with all of that said it is true that as record sales are counted outside of certain territories it becomes harder to be more exact. I also am fully aware that certain artists make certain claims that are at some times more true or not depending on when, where, and exactly what way whatever it is that is being counted. Is that confusing yet? Hmmm. I don't know. I understand that Elvis Presley sold something like 250 million worldwide by about 1977, crapped and died on the toilet, and for whatever reason after not paying attention to him for years interest in him with the public shot to an all time high those first few years after his death as the public were like, "Oh yeah! Elvis! He was cool after all!" and he was but he never wrote any of his music and instrument playing wasn't all that either in my opinion. Then supposedly his record sales insanely DOUBLED to half a billion (that would be 500 million for the mathletes out there) which is rather amazing. Of course then Old Twinkle Toes (that's Michael Jackson) has apparently sold a total of 350 million worldwide but he isn't dead yet so even if he never sells anything more in his lifetime he has already sold more than Elvis (Presley not Costello) in his lifetime. Of course O'l Michael's sales include his group sales as well...you know the Jackson 5 AND the Jacksons. So he is the best selling recording artist but would you say solo artist? Please don't let the hate machine out on him right now I am just trying to make a point to what is relevent in terms of trying to understand worldwide sales.

With ALL of that said I do understand that Led Zeppelin are/were the second best selling group in the U.S. of A. and I have understood that the Rolling Stones are the THIRD best selling group in the U.S.A. Whereas it is the other way around with total worldwide sales EXCEPT that I have understood that since Pink Floyd reunited last year and since their "Echoes - Best Of" they have outsold Zep at least in the U.S. (I don't know about worldwide). ANYWAY! My understanding is that the Rolling Stones are still second behind the Beatles worldwide...

As far as Wikipedia goes apparently anyone can say anything on there so that makes it basically irrellevant...for example my spelling of such words as "irrelevant"...whatever!
[Edited by AlexKx]
11th May 2006 07:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Good call, Corgi. Wikipedia guess-timates that ABBA is the largest selling in the world, although there is no difinitive way to prove it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

SV

Wikipedia's list is a joke.
12th May 2006 10:28 AM
jb OMG is that sad....Soldatti, we have forged ahead of Aerosmith and Madonna in US?
[Edited by jb]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)