ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith out of hospital - AFP (pix inside) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th May 2006 08:55 PM
Gazza WELLINGTON (AFP) - Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards was discharged from a New Zealand hospital after undergoing head surgery, but will continue to receive outpatient treatment, his publicist said.

"Keith Richards was discharged today from the Ascot Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand," New York-based publicist Fran Curtis said in a brief statement received here Thursday.

"He will be an outpatient returning to the hospital for check-ups," she said.

The legendary rocker, 62, reportedly fell from a coconut tree while on holiday in Fiji last month. He underwent surgery on Monday to relieve pressure on his brain from a blood clot, after reportedly complaining of headaches.

Curtis denied media reports in Britain and New Zealand that Richards had undergone two operations and had possibly suffered brain damage.

"There's a lot of cockamamie stories that just aren't true. He's fine," she said Tuesday from New York.

"The first and only operation was done on Monday, May 8. It was 100 percent successful."

The New Zealand Herald quoted an anonymous source as saying Richards had a first operation on April 28 to stop bleeding in his skull. There had been fears for his life, it said.

Curtis had said at the time Richards was suffering a mild concussion.

Richards' operation early Monday required holes to be drilled into his skull for a craniotomy, which involved removing a portion of the skull, the Herald said.

On Wednesday, Jerry Hall, the ex-wife of Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger, said Richards was "doing very well", adding that she was in e-mail contact with his family, who had been at his bedside in Auckland.

"We are very upset about it. Mick is on holiday at the moment so he is hearing the same news as we are," the 49-year-old Texan model told reporters at the London launch of a helpline for victims of child abuse on Wednesday.

Hall, who said she originally introduced Richards to his wife Patti Hansen, added that she had not been in phone contact with Richards' family in New Zealand.

Following Monday's surgery, Richards was "up and about chatting, and phoning New York", the spokesman added.

The Rolling Stones' "A Bigger Bang" tour of Europe will begin in June, after the initially scheduled opening gig in Barcelona, Spain late this month was delayed to allow Richards to recover.

Richards was holidaying in Fiji last month after the New Zealand leg of the band's tour and was reported to have been climbing a palm tree at the resort with fellow Stones guitarist Ron Wood, 58, when he fell.

The resort, with private suites costing up to 7,600 US dollars a night, is a favourite vacation spot with the rich and famous, with Pierce Brosnan, Bill Gates, Michelle Pfeiffer, Celine Dion and Nicole Kidman among past guests.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060511/en_afp/afpentertainmentbritain_060511004615
10th May 2006 08:56 PM
Gazza Rolling Stones' Richards leaves hospital
11 May 2006

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards was discharged from hospital today but may stay in Auckland for some time, his publicists says.

Yesterday it was reported that the hard-living 62-year-old rocker may have sustained brain damage after a second operation following his fall from a coconut tree in Fiji last month.

However, his United States-based spokeswoman Fran Curtis said the reports were untrue and Richards had had only one operation, on May 8.

In a statement today, she said Richards was discharged from the Ascot Hospital in Auckland.

"He will be an outpatient returning to the hospital for check-ups."

The band's European tour has been delayed but is scheduled to begin in June.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3664842a1860,00.html

10th May 2006 09:00 PM
sirmoonie Yeah right, like Bill Gates ever climbed a fucking coconut tree in Fiji.

Keef baby Keef!
10th May 2006 09:00 PM
steel driving hammer I Am Waiting Ting Ting for Keith to say something funny about this.
10th May 2006 09:01 PM
pdog He's not dying like so many other reports would like us to believe!
10th May 2006 09:01 PM
Gazza Daily Telegraph :

Richards is released from hospital
By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 11/05/2006)

Keith Richards, the Rolling Stones guitarist who was injured when he fell out of a coconut tree in Fiji, has left hospital and is staying in a hotel.

A spokesman for the group's management said Richards, 62, was "a lot better" after surgery at the Ascot Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand.

Part of the group's world tour has had to be rearranged because of Richards's injury.

"Keith will be back on the road sometime in June. The Bigger Bang tour has to be rescheduled a wee bit, as it was due to start again in Barcelona," the spokesman said.

Box office receipts for the tour, which began in America, exceed £90 million, with the group often making £2 million a night through ticket sales and merchandising.

The Barcelona concert on May 27 has been cancelled to give Richards more time to recover. The Stones are due to play in Belgium, Paris, Norway, Copenhagen and Sweden early in June, with a major concert in St Petersburg on June 13. All UK dates in August are to go ahead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/11/nkeith11.xml
10th May 2006 09:02 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:
He's not dying like so many other reports would like us to believe!

Don't listen to the liberal media. Trust the bloggers.
10th May 2006 09:06 PM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Don't listen to the liberal media. Trust the bloggers.

Boogers! I get all news from my snot!
10th May 2006 09:07 PM
Gimme Shelter Stones: Keith Richards didn't suffer brain damage

May 10, 2006 12:47 PM
by liveDaily Staff

A spokesperson for The Rolling Stones (music) has issued a statement refuting recent media reports that Keith Richards (music) suffered brain damage from his recent fall while vacationing in Fiji.
Those reports also said the Richard had undergone two surgeries since the accident.

"Keith Richards did not undergo a second operation. The first and only operation was done on Monday, May 8, and was 100 percent successful," said a statement issued by band publicist Fran Curtis. "There was no brain damage. He continues to improve as expected."

The statement added that the European leg of the Stones' world tour, initially scheduled to launch later this month, will instead get underway in June.

Earlier this month, The Stones' camp issued a statement that said Richards had suffered "a mild concussion" while vacationing in Fiji, but didn't specify how he was injured. Various outlets have reported that the concussion was the result of a fall from a palm tree, a fall from a personal watercraft, or both.

Richards underwent "a small operation" Monday (5/8) to relieve pressure that had built up in his head as a result of the undisclosed incident, according to Curtis.
10th May 2006 09:13 PM
Poplar
Fuck yeah. Get to 100% Keith!!!
10th May 2006 09:37 PM
Riffhard Wow! Talk about a roller coaster of a story! At least these stories seem to be more definitive. I must say that I feel better about things now. If he's recieveing outpatient care that is a big relief. If he were to havwe suffered any brain damage he would still be in hospital. Sounds like great news!

Riffy
10th May 2006 09:42 PM
Soldatti Great news.
10th May 2006 09:43 PM
PartyDoll MEG The gnawing pain in the belly is getting better!!
Thanks Gazza!! I think I shall sleep better with this news!
10th May 2006 10:16 PM
mac_daddy great news, indeed!

thanks, gazza.
10th May 2006 10:42 PM
rogerriffin A Huevo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great News!!!

Gazza Rules! Thanks Gazzita!!!
10th May 2006 10:53 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
The gnawing pain in the belly is getting better!!
Thanks Gazza!! I think I shall sleep better with this news!

My sentiments exactly! I'll feel much better when I hear it from the man himself, but just knowing he's on the mend is the absolute BEST! God love ya, Gazza.
10th May 2006 11:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Picture of Keith leaving hospital, sent by Sue

11th May 2006 12:20 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Picture of Keith leaving hospital, sent by Sue

Thank you so much Voodoo. It seems like I've been waiting to see that picture forever. You and Gazza have made my night! You guys are the absolute BEST!
11th May 2006 12:42 AM
pdog I wonder how much hair was shaved off his head... The tour is delayed, hopefully his hair will grow back, or it will be many scarfs in June.
11th May 2006 12:51 AM
glencar He could just wear that funky hat! God bless you, Keith!
11th May 2006 12:53 AM
pdog I think a shaved head Keef would be pretty cool...
SS would be in heaven.
11th May 2006 01:05 AM
glencar Probably still have a scar though. L'wren won't allow that!
11th May 2006 03:01 AM
FotiniD
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Picture of Keith leaving hospital, sent by Sue

MY GOD! That's just GREAT news! Our man's out of the hospital, what a relief...

Damn it, you almost made me cry and I'm at work!
So happy
11th May 2006 03:34 AM
pdog Sex, Coconuts and Rock & Roll.
Fuck Yeah!
11th May 2006 04:04 AM
Jeep Today edition of the Daily Mail :

11th May 2006 04:19 AM
ListenToTheLion If Keith won't rock us who will?
11th May 2006 04:42 AM
charlotte Outstanding reporting by the RO team! led by the one and only Gazza (remember you are getting up there in age my friend, no climbing coconut trees)!!!

Great News!!!!!!!!!!!
11th May 2006 04:54 AM
Gazza
Keith Richards leaves Ascot Hospital in Auckland, May 11 2006.
(Photo by Phil Walter/Getty Images)

Note : the previous pictures seem to be of Keith going out for a walk while still a patient - THIS seems to be him after being discharged)
(thanks to erikjjf)
(thanks to the doctors and nurses)

[Edited by Gazza]
11th May 2006 05:05 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Note : the previous pictures seem to be of Keith going out for a walk while still a patient - THIS seems to be him after being discharged)
(thanks to erikjjf)
(thanks to the doctors and nurses)

Aha Gazza, now you caught me I was about to post that picture too.

So glad Keith looks alright!
11th May 2006 07:42 AM
Gazza Richards back on his feet

By Nicole Lampert and Richard Simpson, Daily Mail
11 May 2006

Just three days after having brain surgery, Keith Richards was discharged from hospital early today.

He moved into a hotel in Auckland, New Zealand, after waving farewell to medical staff as he left the Ascot Hospital via a back exit.

The Rolling Stones guitarist developed a blood clot on the brain after falling out of a coconut tree on holiday in Fiji two weeks ago.

Despite rumours that he is still seriously ill, Richards, 62, is being allowed to recuperate in the hotel with his wife Patti Hansen and four children.

Earler yesterday, he had gone for a four-hour stroll round the hospital grounds. His spokesman has insisted Richards 'continues to improve as expected' and added that his operation on Monday was '100 per cent successful and there was no brain damage'.

Experts said yesterday that already being up and about shows he is recovering well for his age.

'Recovery from this sort of operation can take weeks or even months and progress can often be slower for older people and people who drink heavily,' said Dr Annabel Bentley, assistant medical director at Bupa. 'While you can never tell at this early stage how successful this procedure is, this is a good sign.' Richards's family and friends were optimistic about his ability to bounce back.

'Keith has been progressing extremely well,' his stepfather William Richards said. 'He's been up and about and he's been on the phone to family and friends reassuring people that he will be fine.

'Keith has the constitution of an ox. He's been through a lot in his life and he'll get through this. I am sure he will recover well. It is nonsense to say that he may never recover properly.'

He said it had been a particularly difficult time for Richards's mother Doris, 90, who was in bed ill herself.

'This all seems to have happened at the same time,' he said at their Kent home. 'When Keith became ill we already had a lot on our plates.

But just as Keith is as strong as an ox, so is my Doris and I'm really hoping she'll pull through.'

Mick Jagger's ex-wife Jerry Hall, who is friends with Richards's wife, said they had been in contact by email.

'I heard that he is doing very well,' she said, speaking at a launch of an NSPCC helpline.'We are very upset about it. Mick is on holiday at the moment so he is hearing the same news as we are.'

The Rolling Stones postponed the start of the European leg of their tour after doctors said Richards needed brain surgery.

He injured himself in Fiji at the end of April after falling 15ft from a coconut tree while trying to copy natives who climb up the trunk in bare feet to collect nuts.

He went to hospital in Fiji where doctors suggested he fly to New Zealand for a brain scan. There, doctors discovered there was a risk of clots forming but chose to monitor Richards as the bleeding can sometimes disappear.

However, when he started suffering headaches, he was booked in to have surgery which took place at the Ascot Hospital. How his body has managed to survive the ravages of his debauched lifestyle in four decades as a rock star is a constant source of fascination.

Richards himself pokes fun at his reputation with the often-used catchphrase 'Good to be here, good to be anywhere'
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)