ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CAETANO VELOSO - A Foreign Sound Return to archive
May 5th, 2004 09:58 PM
Madafaka On this new studio CD, Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso reinterprets classic and contemporary American pop songs.

Veloso's feathery, Miles Davis-like, Portuguese-inflected vocals negotiate the English language with silken skill with a 28-piece orchestra led by his long-time arranger, cellist Jaques Morelenbaum--featuring Carlinhos Brown on percussion and Veloso's gifted son Moreno on guitar--over Afro-bossa rhythms and spacey, echoplexed synth/guitar strains.

Veloso sings the melody straight on the stunning string-accompanied "Feelings" and on a brave a capella reading of Cole Porter's "Love For Sale." But the fun begins when he reggae-fies Bob Dylan's "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," sings "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" with boppish sax lines and offers a twangy take on Kurt Cobain's "Come as You Are." From Stevie Wonder's "If It's Magic" to Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" and Arto Lindsey's edgy "Detached," Veloso shows that he's a master of sonic subversion.

An excellent CD. Try to listen to it if you can.

This one is not the first time that Caetano Veloso realizes covers. In his previous CD (that I did not find in USA) there can be listened a very rare "Let It Bleed" version.

May 6th, 2004 09:53 AM
jb Thanks
May 6th, 2004 12:10 PM
Madafaka
May 6th, 2004 02:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah, thanks for posting that. I've heard of this guy but never heard his stuff.
May 6th, 2004 03:38 PM
J.J.Flash Thanks for posting that Max! He started in the mid sixties.

Not in the same proportion, I'd say but he was sort what the "beatnicks" had done.......
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
May 6th, 2004 04:39 PM
Madafaka You're welcome guys! I have just listened to it for second time and it is an awesome CD