ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gang Of Ferdinand Return to archive
May 4th, 2004 04:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot I saw the debut from the Scottish band Franz Ferdinand on sale for $8.99 and picked it up. I wanted to hear what all the hoopla was about.

It's failing is also what makes it good. Here is what I mean by that: Like other critically acclaimed "new" bands, I'd already heard them years ago. They were called Gang Of Four. Fortunately, I liked Gang Of Four...so I also like Franz Ferdinand. I know the criticism well, Jet sounds like so & so, The Hives sound like yadda yadda, The Vines are just like whozitwhatzit. Valid criticism, but not a deal breaker for me. My reply is...well, at least they sound like other artists that I like to listen to.

Example: I like Iggy Pop, so I don't mind Jet reworking an Iggy tune. I don't care that much for Thin Lizzy, so I'm also not much for The Darkness. See how it goes?

There's only so many chords that you can play, and there are only so many sounds that you can make....after 50 years, or thereabouts, of Rock n Roll music being made, anyone just starting out now is bound to sound like something that came before them. It's inevitable. I suppose the best that we can hope for is that the new batch of young bands coming out are influenced by shinola and not shit.

Franz Ferdinand are, IMHO, influenced by shinola. Their record is a pretty good first effort, much like Jet's. Neither are as good as, say, Kings Of Leon's "Youth & Young Manhood"...but they are respectable efforts, and show promise. There is a lot worse out there that you could waste your money on.
May 4th, 2004 05:04 PM
gypsy Thanks for the review, SS. You know how much I admire you and your musical taste.
Plus, I am a pushover for a witty EMT with a shaved head.
May 4th, 2004 05:08 PM
Joey " witty EMT with a shaved head. "

May 4th, 2004 05:09 PM
Jumacfly SS,it s a pleasure to read a REAL post from a lawyer

yes FF is a good band, i m going to see them live next month!

highlights of the album :

this fire
darts of pleasure
jacqueline
take me out

anyway i love their rythm section

cheers
JU
May 4th, 2004 06:26 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh, I kinda forgot to mention this...but if you like Franz Ferdinand, and never heard of Gang Of Four...check them out! They have a best of disc out called "The History Of The 20th Century". Or something like that anyway..I don't remember the exact title, and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look. But it's a pretty good overview of GOF...get you started anyway.
May 5th, 2004 07:50 AM
bez85 SS, what's your opinion of the band Supersuckers..I came across them by accident and dig them..I beleive they are out of Arizona....
May 5th, 2004 08:00 AM
Zeeta They aint bad - dislike Matinee, like Take Me Out

Not as good as Libertines or as you stated Kings of Leon.
May 5th, 2004 08:12 AM
fmk438j Speaking of Jet, I'm seeing them tomorrow night....

May 5th, 2004 08:17 AM
Factory Girl I LOVE Jet! Their cd may be the best thing out there right now. I just LOVE "Cold Hard Bitch", it always puts a smile on my face.

BTw, I saw Jet & Vines & Living end in March, 2004. Jet were pretty good live. The Vines sucked.
May 5th, 2004 08:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot Bez...I have the Supersuckers disc that has "Creepy Jackalope Eye" on it. I really dig that album. It's loud and it's fast....and it's funny! Have you heard Steve Earle and The Supersuckers doing "Creepy Jackalope Eye"? Strange but real good. I think that is on Steve Earle's "Sidetracks"...which I highly recommend also...if for nothing else but the screamin' version of Nirvana's "Breed", and the high test Chamber's Brothers song "Time Has Come Today" done as a duet with the lovely Ms. Sheryl Crow.

Open the till
And give me the change
You said would
Do me good---"Damaged Goods", Gang Of Four
May 5th, 2004 09:50 AM
Jumacfly SS! i m downloading the G4 ...result tonight, i ll make my review!!

cheers!!
JU
May 5th, 2004 10:59 AM
keith_tif Franz Ferdinand: very good band!!You can buy or download!!
May 5th, 2004 12:51 PM
Jumacfly Fu to internet
my Gang of four downloaded just failed, soon time for "entertainment"

how does it sound like anyone??
May 5th, 2004 12:57 PM
Nasty Habits It sounds like a more melodic James Chance and the Blacks crossed with the absurdist intellectual social commentary of Wire.

Or an all male Au Pairs.

Or Lou Reed fronting the JBs.

Damaged Goods is the All Down the Line of the late 70s.

Entertainment is THEE album to hear.

HE FEEDS HIMSELF WITH CULTURE!
HE GIVES HIMSELF AN ULCER!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
May 5th, 2004 01:21 PM
Jumacfly Hey, Thank you Nankie!!
more tonight after a bbq with band in front of a great soccer game..
I promise a review of this one too
May 6th, 2004 01:20 AM
stonedinaustralia speaking of Jet and the criticism that they just ripped off Iggy's "Lust for Life" riff - to my ears Iggy's riff is in fact a beefed up take on James Jamerson's intro lines from the Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love"

Paul Weller and the Jam also adapted/adopted/ripped it off on "A Town Called Malice"
May 6th, 2004 06:21 AM
Jumacfly we can also compare the voice on "are you gonna be my girl" with "my generation" ....same kind of intonation i guesss hu?

Anyway SIA, what about the 2000 th post??

May 6th, 2004 07:24 AM
Factory Girl In concert, the Jet singer/guitarist Nic does the Petey Townsend "windmill" arm gesture.

Jet's song "Hard Cold Bitch" is the best!!!
May 6th, 2004 01:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey FG!

Since you like Jet so much...check out a band called Badfinger. I hear a lot of Badfinger in Jet. Badfinger were never a really big band, so I wonder if Jet has even heard them.

Like I said before, it is starting to get very difficult to come up with a riff that does not sound like something that came before it.

SIA...I think it would have been almost impossible for Iggy to have avoided influence from Motown. I mean, he grew up there, right in the midst of it. And, of course, he started out playing drums. Drummers and bass lines just go together like peanutbutter and jelly. Like I said in an earlier post...if you are gonna borrow something, borrow from something good. Jamerson is one of the best, if not THE best. Iggy would know that because he grew up with it...that stuff couldn't help come out of him at some point.

I wonder...would Jet have ever considered borrowing from The Supremes?
May 6th, 2004 01:42 PM
Factory Girl Iggy wrote an essay about Bo Diddley for Rolling Stone
not too long ago.

I think Jet may borrow blouses from the Supremes...lol.

SS, I hope you're digging KOL.
May 6th, 2004 01:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah FG, I like it lots. It's pretty much the same setlist that I got when I saw them over at Penn State.
May 6th, 2004 05:31 PM
Lil Brian I also enjoyed Franz Ferdinand. One of the better records I've heard lately.
May 6th, 2004 07:53 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Anyway SIA, what about the 2000 th post??

hey ju - less than 60 to go - if i can average 2 a day then it should be about a month away

SS - re your Jet/Supremes comment - ha ha ha
- also i concurr with your remarks re badfinger - 'tho i expect Jet probably have heard of them - awareness of Badfinger is almost unavoidable for anyone who has an interest in the Beatles - which Jet clearly have
May 6th, 2004 11:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot SIA...I only discovered the quest for 2000 thread today...I have questions that need answers. You will enjoy answering...at least I think you will.

Good luck.
May 7th, 2004 12:45 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Bez...I have the Supersuckers disc that has "Creepy Jackalope Eye" on it. I really dig that album. It's loud and it's fast....and it's funny! Have you heard Steve Earle and The Supersuckers doing "Creepy Jackalope Eye"? Strange but real good. I think that is on Steve Earle's "Sidetracks"...which I highly recommend also...if for nothing else but the screamin' version of Nirvana's "Breed", and the high test Chamber's Brothers song "Time Has Come Today" done as a duet with the lovely Ms. Sheryl Crow.

Open the till
And give me the change
You said would
Do me good---"Damaged Goods", Gang Of Four

anyone ever hear the version of before they make me run by steve earle and the supersuckers? not bad
May 7th, 2004 09:38 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, my buddy FPM has that. It's pretty cool.

BTMMR was a staple of the Steve Earle live show for a while, as was Dead Flowers.