ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tom Waits news - Real Gone! (nsc) Return to archive
May 3rd, 2004 01:16 PM
FPM C10 Waits Working On New Studio Set

Tom Waits is working on a new studio album, "Real Gone," expected to be released in the fall via Epitaph's Anti label. The iconic singer/songwriter has been recording material described as primal rhythmic blues, written with his wife and frequent collaborator Kathleen Brennan, in an old school house in Mississippi.
"Feelin' good about it all," Waits says. "Songs about politics, rats, war, hangings, dancing, automobiles, pirates, farms, the carnival and sinning. Mama, liquor, trains and death. In other words, the same 'ol dirty business!"
To realize the new recordings, Waits has tapped the talents of Larry Taylor (guitar, bass), Marc Ribot (guitar), Primus alums Les Claypool (bass) and Brian "Brain" Mantia (drums) and Shotgun Messiah's Harry Cody (guitar, banjo). Also contributing percussion and turntable work is Waits' son, Casey, who last appeared on the artist's 2002 Anti album, "Blood Money." Waits' recording relationship with former Canned Heat bassist Taylor dates back to his famed 1980 Asylum album "Heartattack and Vine." Ribot first collaborated with Waits on 1985's "Raindogs" (Island).
Waits and Brennan are co-producing the album, which is being
engineered by Mark Howard (Bob Dylan, Lucinda Williams).
"Real Gone" will be the follow-up to the tandem 2002 concept albums "Blood Money" and "Alice." Those sets, which stemmed from previous theatrical works with Robert Wilson, debuted at No. 32 and No. 33 on The Billboard 200, respectively.
Following a considerable absence from recording, Waits reappeared in 1999 with the critically acclaimed "Mule Variations," his first album released in conjunction with Epitaph. The set was supported by a rare theater tour.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y

Source: Billboard
May 3rd, 2004 02:07 PM
Stray Cat UK Mule Variations was one of the best albums of the 90s by anyone.
May 3rd, 2004 02:17 PM
stewed & Keefed That's good news,Big fan of his since swordfishtrombones.
Love his junkyard jazz/blues sound.
May 3rd, 2004 04:24 PM
GimmeExile Yeah but why doesn't the man tour anymore?

May 3rd, 2004 07:39 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Mule Variations was one of the best albums of the 90s by anyone.

is that the one with "Big in Japan?"
May 3rd, 2004 08:02 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Mule Variations was one of the best albums of the 90s by anyone.

jesus FPM you scared the hell out of me with that thread title - i thought i was going to read that tom had died!!

anyway re SCUK's comment, IMHO "Bone Machine" was THE best album of the '90s

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
May 3rd, 2004 09:57 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
is that the one with "Big in Japan?"

Yes. Also the one with "Come on up to the house", which has the line: "come down off the cross/we can use the wood/you gotta come on up to the house". Killer gospel.

He's gonna die one day for sure, so will Keith. But we'll have them both on record with "That feel". Not bad.

May 3rd, 2004 10:40 PM
Lavendar I also thought it was gonna be bad news! How Sweet it isn't!!
May 4th, 2004 08:53 AM
FPM C10
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

jesus FPM you scared the hell out of me with that thread title - i thought i was going to read that tom had died!!

anyway re SCUK's comment, IMHO "Bone Machine" was THE best album of the '90s

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

ARGGGH!!! SORRY for that unintentional scare. I didn't even think about that interpretation. Since I was born in the Beat era, I only thought of Tom being a real gone daddy-o.

I'm psyched about this album and am praying for a tour.

Tom said once that in lieu of touring he wanted to have a pavilion at Branson MO, a place with a dirt floor and a tin roof, and he would just be in there playing all the time.

Bone Machine and Mule Variations are BOTH brilliant. He got a Grammy for "Best Alternative Album" for Bone Machine, and he said "Alternative to WHAT?" He appeared on the Arsenio Hall show, doing "Going Out West", and talked about working with Keith. "Well, you always finish SOMETHING. Sometimes you finish the song, sometimes you finish the bottle." He also said if Keith is standing in a meadow, all the cows come to him.

The tour for "Mule Variations" was simply brilliant. One of the best things I've ever seen.

May 5th, 2004 05:43 PM
stewed & Keefed Great Pic
May 5th, 2004 06:20 PM
stewed & Keefed Good site.
http://tom-waits.spb.ru/english/mp3.php3
May 5th, 2004 07:45 PM
Steel Wheels I saw Tom Waits in Los Angeles. He debuted the Mule Variations tour there. Amazing show, amazing. The images and emotions I have in my head from that show I will carry for a lifetime.