ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No one Stones riff made UK magazine vote Return to archive
May 2nd, 2004 10:37 PM
Soldatti Sweet riff o' success
By Toby Forage
May 03, 2004

THEY might be more cringe than cool these days, but readers of a guitar bible have voted a Guns N' Roses "riff" the best of all time.

Slash's work with Guns N' Roses has been duly acknowledged in a poll of British guitar fans / AP

The glam rockers' 1987 hit Sweet Child O' Mine came in at No.1 on a list of the 100 greatest guitar riffs, published by Total Guitar magazine in the UK.

While purists might classify the song's high choral guitar melody more "lick" than "riff", it still out-polled the more traditional power chord creations of classic rock acts like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

The Gunners also beat Smells Like Teen Spirit, by grunge pioneers Nirvana, into second place. Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love came in third, and Smoke On The Water, by Deep Purple, was fourth.

They were also one of only a few bands to land more than one song in the top 20, with Paradise City, from the same Appetite For Destruction album as the No.1 song - coming in at No.19.

Plenty of venerable numbers made the list, penned by the likes of Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osbourne and the band that made him famous, Black Sabbath.

Perhaps more surprising is the selection of newer tracks that got the nod from more than 2000 votes from the magazine's readers.

Among them were Muse (Plug In Baby) and Queens Of The Stone Age (No One Knows), featuring Nirvana's former drummer, now Foo Fighters frontman, Dave Grohl behind the kit.

The list is all about six-string magic, though, and while Slash's ability to play under a top hat through a haze of hair and cigarette smoke proved top of the pops, there was still room for guitar gods like Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Paige, Richie Blackmore, Angus Young and Eddie Van Halen.

However, neither the Rolling Stones nor punk legends the Sex Pistols made a mark on the top 20.

"To a new generation of guitarists, Metallica are more important than the Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses more thrilling than the Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath better than the Beatles," Total Guitar editor Scott Rowley said.

"Riffs are an interesting measure of people's tastes because they're usually easy to play and very catchy - they're the hook of the song.

"This isn't about who's the flashiest guitarist. It's more about the guitarists and songs that get you most excited."

The magazine ran a similar poll in 1999, when Whole Lotta Love came in at No.1

What Mr Rowley believes has happened since then is a new appreciation for the classic "rock" sound.

"The so-called canon of classic rock - the Led Zeppelins, Eric Claptons, Jimi Hendrix - is as popular as ever, but being added to all the time," he said.

The top 20

1. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
3. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
4. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
5. Enter Sandman - Metallica
6. Layla - Derek & The Dominoes/Eric Clapton
7. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
8. Back In Black - AC/DC
9. Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix
10. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
11. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
12. All Right Now - Free
13. Plug In Baby - Muse
14. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
15. Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
16. Walk This Way - Aerosmith
17. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
18. No-One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age
19. Paradise City - Guns N` Roses
20. Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine.

NEWS.com.au

Sometimes I think: Are the Stones british?
The lack of respect there for one of his most importants artists is amazing...
May 2nd, 2004 10:41 PM
Snappy McJack Hmmmm...
[Edited by Snappy McJack]
May 2nd, 2004 11:06 PM
Bloozehound Dude, all these fukin polls, and best song/album type lists don't mean jack shit anymore. They're a dime a dozen, everyone has their own. They're more like popularity contests rather than an actual judge of talent or greatness. I think they're fun to read for a little nostolgia, but they really don't mean shit. I also think part of the Stones getting snubbed is because they're still around and still raking in $$$$. This makes some people jealous of their relevance and success. If they disbanded years ago they'ed became legendary martyrs of rock, and command the awe & respect they deserve like most their contemporaries who have long ceased (or deceased) receive, beatles, zepplin, hendrix, skynyrd ect..

LMFAO!!

Sweet Child O'Mine #1 ???

C'mon!!!

[Edited by Bloozehound]
May 3rd, 2004 05:00 AM
padre Skynyrd IS still around doing gigs, records and $$$. Maybe not as much dough as the Stones but still...
May 3rd, 2004 09:36 AM
jb Defend this Gazza? You guys are funny...for years I have pointed out quite accurately the total disdain most Brits have for the Stones....they have never received the respect due and owing while talentless fucks like the Spice Girls, Madonna, Robbie Williams, Elton and the rest are thought of as cultural icons there....And please Gazza, the fact they sold out some concerts last tour in no way diminishes the fact that in general, they are held in very low regard....This latest poll is just another in a long list of acts on the part of the Brits which reflect their total lack of respect for their native sons...absolutely appalling.... Three Days of Rain (2002) - ... a very interesting variation in pace throughout the movie. ... challenged worker, played with astonishing candor by Joey ... Three Days of Rain did not win any major ...
http://www.filmmonthly.com/Video/Articles/ThreeDays/ThreeDays.html

[Edited by jb]
May 3rd, 2004 10:11 AM
Gazza Who fucking cares. get a fucking life, Josh
May 3rd, 2004 10:14 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Who fucking cares. get a fucking life, Josh

Please admit I was correct...

[Edited by jb]
May 3rd, 2004 10:19 AM
Gazza No...youre not correct. You take everything in a context that suits your own idiotic agenda. I mean, some silly meaningless magazine poll of "riffs" is hardly a barometer of a nation's cultural identity or musical taste. You simply are a know-nothing who hasnt a clue what he's talking about. If you place more emphasis on a soundbite or voxpop poll than record or ticket sales then you really are a bigger fool than you seem.

I could sit here and point out several inconsistencies and anomalies in YOUR country's culture and taste that to an outsider looks utterly ludicrous but theres enough other people here who care enough to bitch about stuff like that. I personally dont give a shit.

So fuck off
May 3rd, 2004 10:23 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
No...youre not correct. You take everything in a context that suits your own idiotic agenda. I mean, some silly meaningless magazine poll of "riffs" is hardly a barometer of a nation's cultural identity or musical taste. You simply are a know-nothing who hasnt a clue what he's talking about. If you place more emphasis on a soundbite or voxpop poll than record or ticket sales then you really are a bigger fool than you seem.

I could sit here and point out several inconsistencies and anomalies in YOUR country's culture and taste that to an outsider looks utterly ludicrous but theres enough other people here who care enough to bitch about stuff like that. I personally dont give a shit.

So fuck off

This is the second week in a row I've been told to "Fuck-off"

P.S.-I have no problem with what the American and British soldiers did to the Iraqi terrorists....after the way they desercrated those 4 bodies, I am hardly offended that they had to play "circle jerk" and "golden shower".
[Edited by jb]
May 3rd, 2004 10:44 AM
Gazza >This is the second week in a row I've been told to "Fuck-off"

it's only Monday!

>P.S.-I have no problem with what the American and British soldiers did to the Iraqi terrorists....after the way they desercrated those 4 bodies, I am hardly offended that they had to play "circle jerk" and "golden shower".

thats not what I was referring to actually, although personally I DO have a problem with it but thats neither here nor there. (for the record, theres doubt over whether the Brit pics are genuine or not but even if they werent I doubt that will be reported with the same widespread publicity)
May 3rd, 2004 10:59 AM
glencar gazza, please check your PMs. It's not about this thread, Joshy.
May 3rd, 2004 11:00 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
gazza, please check your PMs. It's not about this thread, Joshy.

I know you probably agre with me on this one.
May 3rd, 2004 11:04 AM
glencar While I disagree with certain aspects of Northern Ireland, I don't believe the Brits have any worse culture than us. On this board, Joey constantly blithers on about the Who. There's no accounting for taste the world over, Joshy. Exhibit A: Bollywood.
May 3rd, 2004 11:20 AM
Zeeta
quote:
jb wrote:

Trust a snake before a Jew, a Jew before a Greek but never trust an Armenian...

May 3rd, 2004 11:22 AM
glencar Yeah just trust us to bail your asses out of trouble whenever it's necessary. Geez, don't go all French on us.
May 3rd, 2004 11:23 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
padre wrote:
Skynyrd IS still around doing gigs, records and $$$. Maybe not as much dough as the Stones but still...

Do you consider this incarnation of Skynyrd to be "the Skynyrd" ? I don't.
May 3rd, 2004 11:26 AM
Zeeta
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yeah just trust us to bail your asses out of trouble whenever it's necessary. Geez, don't go all French on us.

You really are one of the worst posters in cyberspace. One hopes your "real" life personality is not mirrored by your posting here
May 3rd, 2004 11:30 AM
Gazza Got your pms - thanks

Josh - stop trying to stir shit
May 3rd, 2004 11:37 AM
Gazza >Yeah just trust us to bail your asses out of trouble whenever it's necessary. Geez, don't go all French on us.

I think you'll find he said "Armenian", not "American"
May 3rd, 2004 11:47 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy jb, for the love of god, shut up.

To be honest, I'd rather see you get banned at this point just because you don't say anything worthwhile anymore. You used to raise good points about the Stones - now you just try to get reactions whenever possible. You insult new people when they come on this board... in short, you add nothing new here and you seem fully content to just fuck shit up. Every time you see someone who you know can get their buttons pressed, you jump on 'em, because you love the attention. Hey, example: Every single time I post in a thread, regardless as to what it's about, you reply with "Ron Wood needs to get replaced" because you want a reaction outta me. News flash, bucko, Gazza's an admin here and a really nice guy, so don't fuck with him. In fact, don't fuck with anyone anymore. You want to talk shit and get responses, go join an anything goes message board. This is a place where people who like the Stones can get together and chat about stuff, hopefully without having to suffer through your inane bullshit.

So shape up and try to be a little cooler or just fuck off. I find it ridiculous that you devote so much time and effort to be some sort of internet celebrity. Maybe you should spend a little more time in the real world.
May 3rd, 2004 12:11 PM
jb
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
jb, for the love of god, shut up.

To be honest, I'd rather see you get banned at this point just because you don't say anything worthwhile anymore. You used to raise good points about the Stones - now you just try to get reactions whenever possible. You insult new people when they come on this board... in short, you add nothing new here and you seem fully content to just fuck shit up. Every time you see someone who you know can get their buttons pressed, you jump on 'em, because you love the attention. Hey, example: Every single time I post in a thread, regardless as to what it's about, you reply with "Ron Wood needs to get replaced" because you want a reaction outta me. News flash, bucko, Gazza's an admin here and a really nice guy, so don't fuck with him. In fact, don't fuck with anyone anymore. You want to talk shit and get responses, go join an anything goes message board. This is a place where people who like the Stones can get together and chat about stuff, hopefully without having to suffer through your inane bullshit.

So shape up and try to be a little cooler or just fuck off. I find it ridiculous that you devote so much time and effort to be some sort of internet celebrity. Maybe you should spend a little more time in the real world.

Let me get this straight, a U.K. poll comes out failing to name any of the Stones "riffs" and I simply point out, as I have been doing for years, that IMO, the British don't appreciate the Stones.... that's starting "shit?.
As for you TSXY, get a life....I could do without 18 yr old college guys flexing their testerone on a Stones website....how fucking dare you suggest I get banned you piece of turd.....and don't you ever lecture me about my r/s with Gazza...he is a big boy and does not need your punk ass to defend him....if and when I get out of line, believe me, he is the first to let me know....and when it comes from him I can respect it cause the guy has a great sense of humor and can take a lot of shit unlike a crybaby,pussy like you...
By the way, did I ever tell you Ron Wood sucks!!!-Go fuck off now....

[Edited by jb]
May 3rd, 2004 01:11 PM
Scottfree I find it odd that I agree with everyone on this thread, albeit they have different views points.....
May 3rd, 2004 03:01 PM
jb .....I find this odd.
May 3rd, 2004 04:11 PM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
.....I find this odd.

Bill Perks for Perksident....."04"
May 3rd, 2004 04:44 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Yeah just trust us to bail your asses out of trouble whenever it's necessary. Geez, don't go all French on us.

I think you'll find he said "Armenian", not "American"

Read too fast, answer too fast, put your foot in your mouth!
May 3rd, 2004 10:14 PM
corgi37 Yeah, but who completed the survey? Young, long haired, bogan, black t-shirt wearing, punk, pimple faced, teen, white boys from U.K. All going into guitar shops to try out their $200 Fender copy guitars they saved 6 months to buy from their paper boy round money. Who cares? If the survey was held in Oz, "Eagle Rock" would probably be in it. In U.S. it may very well be "Skater Boy". France? Could be "Oxygene". It's such a stupid, meaningless survey.
May 4th, 2004 11:00 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ahhh.... It's great to back on the board. Nothing changes!!!
May 4th, 2004 11:01 AM
jb
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Ahhh.... It's great to back on the board. Nothing changes!!!

May 4th, 2004 11:05 AM
Honky Tonk Man I love you too
May 7th, 2004 02:56 AM
padre
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Do you consider this incarnation of Skynyrd to be "the Skynyrd" ? I don't.

I do. And dont.
I know that there's not many of the originals left (Gary Rossington and Billy Powell seems to be the only ones now), but they still DO kick ass. I admit that it would be more fair if the band called itself The Skynyrd Band, but it's not my decision. The albums they've done since 1991 all have plenty of good and very good stuff and the band IS tight when it comes to live shows (hell, how can you NOT be tight with Rickey Medlocke and Hughie Thomasson on guitars!). The energy is there even without the original members.
Look at the recent Stones liveband: Darryl Jones, Chuck Leavell, Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler, Blondie Chaplin, the horn section,...how many of these cats were with the band in the 70's? Or how about the Bridges To Babylon album:
Billy Preston-Organ (Hammond)
Wayne Shorter-Sax (Soprano)
Blondie Chaplin-Bass, Piano, Maracas, Tambourine, Vocals (bckgr), Shaker
Jim Keltner, Kenny Aronoff-Percussion, Vocals, Shaker
Benmont Tench-Piano, Keyboards, Organ (Hammond), Vocals
Bernard Fowler - Vocals (bckgr)
Darryl Jones - Bass, Vocals (bckgr)
Darrell Leonard - Trumpet
Me'Shell NdegéOcello - Bass
Jamie Muhoberac - Bass, Keyboards
Danny Saber - Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Clavinet,
Jeff Sarli - Bass, Bass (Acoustic)
Joe Sublett - Saxophone, Sax (Baritone)
Don Was - Bass, Keyboards, Wurlitzer
Doug Wimbish - Bass, Vocals (bckgr)
Waddy Wachtel - Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar, Guitar (Electric), Vocals (bckgr)
Pierre de Beauport - Bass, Producer, Fender Rhodes, Mixing, 6-String Bass, Wurlitzer
Clinton Clifford - Piano, Organ (Hammond)

Sure the Skynyrd could be presented as a foursome like The Stones: Rossington, Powell, Medlocke (who actually DID play in the original Skynyrd) and Van Zant and keep the other bunch as "guest musicians", but I think the way they present the band is more fair.
But hey, it's only rock'n'roll and as long as the guitar plays...