ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones 1963-1965 Singles Box set???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 5th, 2004 01:08 PM
Bloozehound Are the disks in these two formats interplayable (did I make this word up?), in other words can you play a DSD disk on an SACD player and vice versa ?

Don't know if this is a dumb question, but just curious cuz when I read up on this a while back I seemed to get the impression they weren't interchangable kinda how beta and VHS was in the 80's.
May 5th, 2004 01:28 PM
Madafaka Wow! Is good to know that... I had understood that it was the same thing.
Thanks Ire
May 5th, 2004 03:08 PM
Bloozehound i don't know if they're the same thing that's why I'm asking - I suppose I could look it up myself, but i'm too lazy lol
May 5th, 2004 05:02 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Are the disks in these two formats interplayable (did I make this word up?), in other words can you play a DSD disk on an SACD player and vice versa ?

Don't know if this is a dumb question, but just curious cuz when I read up on this a while back I seemed to get the impression they weren't interchangable kinda how beta and VHS was in the 80's.

I think you mean "can you play a SACD on a standard CD player and vice-versa?" (Note that DSD does not mean it's a CD. DSD encoded music can be put on a CD or a SACD, and a CD is not necessarily DSD encoded... See my previous post.)

And no, it's not a dumb question! The SACD players can generally read standard CDs but a CD player can't play SACD. But they can play hybrid SACD. What are these???

Basically, there's 2 kinds of SACD:
1) The true SACD that can't be played on a standard CD player but need a dedicated player (generally more expensive!)
2) The hybrid SACD, which contains one High Density Layer and one standard CD Layer, allowing for playback on any conventional CD player. The Decca remasters exist both on standard CD and on hybrid SACD. I don't have a SACD player but I can read them on my old CD player!

See: http://www.superaudio-cd.com/

Note: of course, the conventional CD player can only use the CD layer, not the SACD layer. As the SACD layer contains more information and is of a better audio quality, it makes sense to buy a SACD player even if you have hybrid discs. If you can afford it, that is!

Luckily, most SACD players can also read video DVDs, so if one doesn't have a DVD player yet, it's a good occasion to get a machine that can read three formats: CD & SACD for audio and DVD for video. But very few of them can read Audio DVD. You can't have everything...
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
May 5th, 2004 06:14 PM
Bloozehound ahhh

thank you MW for clearing that up

Page: 1 2